Advice needed - mixer with USB interface or just an interface?

PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
edited November 2021 in Studio & Recording
At the moment I have a very ancient Spirit Folio SX 16 track analogue mixer. The stereo ins and outs connect to an equally ancient RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface connected to the PC. The Spirit mixer is on its way out and the RME is no longer useful in my new computer.

My use cases are:
  • Home use only
  • Monitoring of audio output from PC
  • Monitoring of Nord Electro 6 and Lead 4 keyboards and guitar into mixer
  • VSTi use together with Cubase and Reason
I'm thinking it might make more sense for me to buy a new mixer with a USB interface rather than buying a new analogue mixer and separate audio interface.

Do the USB interfaces in these mixers provide low latency (ASIO) so I can play virtual instruments? Can they be used with DAWs? Are there any downsides?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Philtre said:
    The tascam also acts as a controller for the daw… so physical faders/knobs etc… they also do two other models (more channels)…

I think ssl do one as well but it will prolly be a bit spendy.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I don’t think the middle Tascam has DAW control, only the 12 and 24. I’m pondering this kind of setup as well. Having spent years recording with Tascam and other cassette 4-tracks the hands-on feel of the Tascams appeals to me. The Tascam seems to take a very integrated approach, the Soundcrafts look like an analogue mixer with USB I/O. Research is ongoing…
    Not getting anywhere with this. The USB mixers like the Tascam have stuff on that I don't need and are really geared toward live or podcast recording. All I need is a low latency, good quality USB interface that sits inside a regular mixer, combining two units into one.
  • The Soundcraft one sounds much more like what you’re after than the Tascam then.

As much as I like the all-in-one idea, I would have no use for the Tascam’s in-built recorder for instance. Plan B for me is a Mackie VLZ and a conventional interface.
    The Soundcraft one sounds much more like what you’re after than the Tascam then.

As much as I like the all-in-one idea, I would have no use for the Tascam’s in-built recorder for instance. Plan B for me is a Mackie VLZ and a conventional interface.
    That's what I was thinking. Some YT reviews of the Soundcraft show a number of problems - no power switch, dodgy connections and a few shortcuts on quality here and there. At this rate I'm thinking of something simple like a Focusrite Scarlett.

@Philtre do you actually need the mixer part if you are going into the daw anyway?
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I haven't used a mixer in my home studio for many years.  I have an 8 input audio interface (in my case a Steinberg UR824) with the option to add additional I/O via ADAT expander (something like a Behringer ADA8200) should I wish.

Achieving low latency largely comes down to the system (using a low buffer value in the PC and having an up to date ASIO driver installed) but I work with direct monitoring for the most part.  A habit that I built up over the years working with less powerful systems.
    poopot said:
    @Philtre do you actually need the mixer part if you are going into the daw anyway?
    Yes, for two keyboards (2x stereo = 4 inputs) and guitar. These don't necessarily route to the DAW as most of the time it's just analogue monitoring into the power amp and speakers.
    Philtre said:
    poopot said:
    Yes, for two keyboards (2x stereo = 4 inputs) and guitar. These don't necessarily route to the DAW as most of the time it's just analogue monitoring into the power amp and speakers.
    For the money you’ll spend on a mixer/usb you’d get a decent 8i8 interface that will do all of what you want anyway!.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    poopot said:
    Philtre said:
    poopot said:
    For the money you’ll spend on a mixer/usb you’d get a decent 8i8 interface that will do all of what you want anyway!.
    Exactly.  I have 6 of my inputs hooked up all the time but I seldom record more than a couple at any one time, the rest of the time they are just acting as a mixer.

• I've got the Yamaha MG10 for live streaming use (online guitar lessons). It works well and the sound is great. I didn't get the XU one as I don't think it'll do 2-way monitoring, so pretty useless when doing a two-way call. For one-way streams its fine. 

So to get it into my computer I have to use 2 xlr's to send a stereo out mix into my Focusrite. It does mean 2 devices but its worked well for a year now.
  • Surely behringer /Xenia do something
    Decided to not get a mixer yet and get a dedicated interface with MIID in/out. Candidate so far is Focusrite 4i4. Do need low latency for VST instruments.
    Candidates:

Focusrite 4i4
    Steinberg UR22C
    Go with the focusrite…
    edited November 2021
    poopot said:
    Go with the focusrite…
    The USB C thing is what's attracting me to the Steinberg. OTOH it's not red...

I don't need fancy mic pres or loads of ins/outs. The key for me is to get low latency DAW and VST instrument use.