It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Amp recommendations ~ something for shimmering Fender type cleans
So I am back in newbie mode here.
My only real experience of playing Fender amps (that I recall) was with Twin Reverbs a long time ago, and yes my ears bled. The clean tone was shimmering and beautiful, tons of headroom, but trying to get a non MV Twin to crunch was a life threatening experience, buildings were demolished in the attempt Yes, I know better now.
Several guitarists who I have great respect for, have used both Fender and Marshall in the same rig, such as Jan Akkerman and Andy Timmons.
I am not even sure about the descriptive words to use for my impression of the archetypal Fender clean tone in my head. Shimmering, chimey, glassy (as in clear and crystalline, *not* sharp or spiky) come to mind. “Sterile” is a word to be avoided, which is how I felt about many British amp cleans. So a little help with the words to better communicate the sounds may be helpful too.
I don’t even know the difference between Tweeds and Black/Silver Faced Fenders, so please educate me, and be gentle.
What is out there, what recommendations do you have ?
• Ideally I am thinking 20 to 50 Watt (100 at a push), maybe dual channel, reverb is not essential though, crunch and gain are nice but not essential, especially if it works well with pedals.
• Doesn’t have to be Fender, and whilst simple is good, flexible is nice, reliable is a must. I do like the way Mesa give loads of tonal options with just a few switches.
• How much difference do the power valves make to this, i.e. 6L6 vs EL84 in the lower wattage options ?
• It needs to be able to take pedals (I think), but I assume that most good clean amps do that well anyway.
• As an aside, do any pedals get you close to this Fender clean sound when put into a British style amp ?
• Secondhand availability is a bonus, as it makes most things accessible, so maybe a few different budget options would be good too.
So with an open mind, what do you suggest goes on the shortlist ?
Links or YouTube videos would be great too.
Thanks for your help.