Fender buys Presonus... interesting times for Studio 1 users?

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited November 2021 in Studio & Recording
I personally don't think this is a bad thing. Some people seem to be comparing it to Gibson / Cakewalk but I really can't see it. 

Studio 1 has been massively increasing its market share, on the back of consistent innovation and a really popular subscription model. 

I'm very curious about what Fender want to do with it though. I do not want to have to change my entire Studio setup again after fully committing to S1 Pro 2 years ago. 

https://musictech.com/news/fender-musical-instruments-corporation-acquires-presonus-owner-studio-one-eris-monitors-studiolive-mixers/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Fender maybe don't want the software side of things, but the hardware manufacturing is a good fit for them.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Studio One split off at some stage.
  • octatonic said:
    Fender maybe don't want the software side of things, but the hardware manufacturing is a good fit for them.
    The press release does seem to suggest they're interested in the entire process. 

The thing Presonus have done very well out of, is bundling their Artist version of S1 with all their hardware. It's not like the beginner / lite versions you get from Ableton etc. It's a fully functioning DAW with lots of add ons and full third party vst integration. That has hugely increased the number of users. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't do any worse than Gibson!

Bye!

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I hope they don’t screw it up. 
    Studio One is a great DAW, even though I mostly use Reaper now, and the quantum thunderbolt interfaces are excellent and have no real competition for ultra low latency at this price point.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Oh and Notion is pretty good too even though it hasn’t been updated for a while.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    lysander said:
    I hope they don’t screw it up. 

Ditto.

QED - Gibson &Cakewalk, and AVID/Mackie with Traction

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    Yeah, struggling to be excited about it, but maybe this will work. 

Gibson buying Cakewalk was a horror story, and Yamaha's purchase of Steinberg hasn't really done much for Cubase, in my opinion.  Keeping my fingers crossed that Fender don't screw Presonus over.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Apple did pretty well with Logic. :)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    If you think Cakewalk users got shafted, be grateful you never used Opcode Studio Vision...
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Cakewalk has panned out well though. It's an outstanding free DAW. As a long in the tooth Sonar user having paid out hundreds for it, the free version is better than Sonar Platinum, as was. However, whilst a lot better, it still is a little glitchy now and again. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yeah, Sonar had some very annoying workflow issues/ bugs. The second worst moment of my life was the 20 minutes between discovering I could do elastic audio style editing in it, and the realisation that it was so badly implemented it would actually take days.

Fender have done both good and bad in my book on the acquisitions front.
  • Gibson did Les Paul monitors with burst finishes, so I guess we can expect roadworn monitors 
  • Gibson did Les Paul monitors with burst finishes, so I guess we can expect roadworn monitors 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, Sonar had some very annoying workflow issues/ bugs.
    It really did. One that use to drive me nuts was that midi parts would reroute. So, imagine you'd have a few synths on the go, plus a drum track, all midi. Then, out of nowhere the midi from a synth starts triggering the drums! Massive pain in the arse. Also I'd get random detuning of midi parts, say a step down. 

Plus random crashes and freezes. 

To be fair, very few problems with the new Cakewalk. It runs well and is phenomenally well spec'd. So much so, I'm toof ar embedded to be arsed to change now.

However, I have a mac mini on the desk, largely unused, and I know it's crying out for a Logic install. Especially as Apple do a rolling 90 day trial
  • Don’t think Yamaha Allen and Heath DiGiCo Midas or Behringer will have many sleepless nights over it!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • octatonic said:
    Au contraire - as I said in the other thread, I suspect that the Studio One (or a cut-down version) will start being bundled with the Mustang etc. At that point, it's basically free to Fender, and Studio One still makes money because of the ongoing development. If they split it off, they'd have to eat a penalty of some sort to bundle it with the Presonus hardware.

They've basically bought the hardware and got software as a bonus. Just like you would if you bought a Mustang... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Yeah I can see that happening. Might pave the way for some software modelling of Fender amps built into S1 too…