Studio Headphones Help for jamming through mixer.

stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 138
edited November 2021 in Studio & Recording
Hi all,

I have been ummming and ahhhing through all the reviews and wanted  to sound out some ideas about headphones.

I am using a Tascam model 12 mixing  noise, guitar, drum machines and synths. Rated at 32 ohms for headphone out  but fine for with my 75ohm hd25s and still have half volume  left on the dial. 250ohmns wouldn’t work for this. These would be  nice ones I would keep in the music room so wouldn’t be travelling with them at all. A full over ear cup would be ideal.

Mainly  jamming and a bit of monitoring. I have genelec 8020s  that have been great for the space I’m in but not much opportunity to blast these. Closed back I think are my preference but I have never  used open or even semi open headphones.

Budget of about £200ish. The HD 300 PROtect are the front runners. Sound comfy, limit protection and replaceable cable. Not replaceable cups and cable is only 1.5m but can get an extender.

The  Byerdynamics DT 770 pro 32 ohms sounds nice and cheaper but wary of the non replaceable cable but have seen people do mod these for cheap.

The Other option is to get HD26 as very used to the sound but not all that comfy and would in theory be nice to have a different type of  headphone to check things on as already have HD25s. 

I don’t want an overly pumped bass sound and want to protect my ears a bit as I’m aware I have given them a lot of bashing  over the years. 

I will get another pair of hd25s for everyday. I am really used to the sound now and apparently as of last year they have improved the build quality so less cup faults and a better cable. Got through a few spare bits but considering this they have been amazing value. Mine are driven into the ground and I must have put 10,000 hours  of listening on them and a lot while travelling for at least 10 years. Too bashed now to bother to replace  all the bits and  I have  even worn away the cloth over the speakers. 

Would be really nterested to hear what you all use? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments