Leicester (and Leicester-ish) folks - the tricky second outing

What's Hot

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Boromedic said:
    Damn it, would be well up for this, but unfortunately I have a shift on the 25th of November...... Oh well, keep me posted for the next one please, I can play drums too as needed :)
    Sorry! Just picked a date out of the hat. Will definitely let you know if we do another!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    ellwood said:
    Boromedic said:
    Damn it, would be well up for this, but unfortunately I have a shift on the 25th of November...... Oh well, keep me posted for the next one please, I can play drums too as needed :)
    Sorry! Just picked a date out of the hat. Will definitely let you know if we do another!
    Brill, cheers dude!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Pencil me in Nick, perfect timing to get the kids to bed before heading on over. 1 
    Pencil me in Nick, perfect timing to get the kids to bed before heading on over. 1 
    Excellent news! Look forward to seeing you mate
  • DazzaDazza Frets: 93
    Sounds good, just checking the date out!
    Dazza said:
    Sounds good, just checking the date out!
    Excellent! Hope you can make it
  • JEMJEM Frets: 124
    <delurk>

I'm a bit of a lurker (this is my second ever post) as I'm not really one for online discussions but I'd be interested in meeting up and playing along with the some real people :-)

I'm in Leicestershire and should be able to make the 25th. I'd be happy to chip in towards the room costs.

I may be able to rustle up an amp to bring too although my gear, like my playing, is pretty substandard. Either way I'd be very happy to pop in if you'll have me.

John

</delurk>
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited November 2021
    Just a bit of advice that ive picked up from other jams - suggest you minimise kit churn and only bring/set up 2 or 3 amps in total (with a few pedalboards) and just let people plug into them and play- otherwise you'll lose an hour setting up and stripping down and only get an hours playing. Make it a playing event rather than a kitfest.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JEM said:
    <delurk>

I'm a bit of a lurker (this is my second ever post) as I'm not really one for online discussions but I'd be interested in meeting up and playing along with the some real people :-)

I'm in Leicestershire and should be able to make the 25th. I'd be happy to chip in towards the room costs.

I may be able to rustle up an amp to bring too although my gear, like my playing, is pretty substandard. Either way I'd be very happy to pop in if you'll have me.

John

</delurk>
    John

It would be great to meet you and you are most welcome to come along. Don’t worry about room costs, that’s all covered. As for playing and gear - there’s no judgement here. It really is just about the chance to get together and have a bit of a bash through some stuff. I’ll pull my finger out suggesting some tunes!

Look forward to meeting you on the 25th

Nik
    mrkb said:
    Just a bit of advice that ive picker up from other jams - suggest you minimise kit churn and only bring 2 or 3 amps in total (with a few pedalboards) and just let people plug into them and play- otherwise you'll lose an hour setting up and stripping down and only get an hours playing. Make it a playing event rather than a kitfest.
    Thanks for this. It’s definitely a playing event, but I also don’t want people to be stood around. So if everyone can get an amp of some kind I’m happy with everyone playing as much as little as they want. If people do want to chat about kit, that’s cool too - as long as they don’t mind if the rest of us carry on.
    Some song suggestions;

Gimme Shelter
    Cream (Prince)
    All Along the WatchTower
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Times like these
    Thrill is gone

Simple vibe, just fun to play along with . Please add suggestions and I'll pull together a final list.

Cheers
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    @ellwood. Are you producing some form of song sheet so that everyone practices in the same key?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    @ellwood. Are you producing some form of song sheet so that everyone practices in the same key?
    Errrrrrm..... :D
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ellwood said:
    Roland said:
    Errrrrrm..... :D
    I must admit, that would be a good idea chap :)

If you ask @mrkb nicely he might let you borrow his !!
    I’ve only got one for Gimme shelter from that list and as we proved on Saturday it doesn’t help if some people don’t know the song ;)

happy to send it to someone though if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Actually also have one for Times like these as well. That’s a tricky one to jam if you don’t know the song due to the 7/4 bars.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Ok. I’ll wait 24hrs for additional suggestions and put something together.

as a side note - I don’t want to create some massively formal thing. It would be great to see people, have a bit of a laugh and bash through some songs. No pressure on anyone…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it’s in the diary and I’ll bring my TMDR. All songs are in the key of Keef aren’t they? ;)
    Well it’s in the diary and I’ll bring my TMDR. All songs are in the key of Keef aren’t they? ;)
    Exactly! And if they weren’t originally, they are now!
  • JEMJEM Frets: 124
    Apologies if I'm shoving my oar in where it's not wanted but my very limited experience of "jam" sessions has usually been that someone picks a key, comes up with a simple chord progression and then everyone else joins in comping / soloing in turn as they see fit. Once everyone gets bored with that someone else picks a new key or a different progression and so on.

I can see that many would find this musically a bit limiting and would rather play actual songs though. I'm happy to try to learn some stuff beforehand but I'm a slow learner so I'm unlikely to be terribly proficient at anything by the 25th.

Whatever way you want to go with it I'm happy to come along just to meet people and have a laugh as OP says.

John