Akai Force owners: is it fire from the gods?

While I much prefer the aesthetics of the MPC line, the Akai Force looks like all I need to make basic tracks without a DAW, and then some - particularly with the new update that lets interfaces connect to it. Has anyone tried one since the 3.1 update?

I am keen to move away from using a computer for recording as I spend so much time at one already. I'd also love to get a sequencer that can add more versatility to my synths and act as a master controller for them.

I'm after something that can:
- act as a basic multitrack recorder
- sequence synths - with the ability to switch patterns on the fly. The synths I have all have sequencers, but often they are good for one pattern, but the workflow for progressing through a song is a pain
- do a little live looping
- handle the whole process of creating a track
- be up and running faster than my ancient laptop

Not overly worried about complexity.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    Force does all of that, but the latest update has enough bugs being reported that I've delayed upgrading. 

Plenty of YT channels for guitarists using it:

I don't think any update has added layered overdub-style looping, though. Not necessary, perhaps with the tracks available.

The No1 downside now is that the recent firmware updates are so deep and far-reaching that the documentation is all over the place. 
  • Thanks, those are exactly the sort of videos I needed to see to convince me it’s what I’m after. Shame about the bugs though - hopefully those will get squashed in due course 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    I'm sure they will, but ISTM that Akai doesn't have enough developers for all of the products that use this 'MCS' system.

I had the MPC Live before, but the Force suits me much better. If I can coax the CV outputs to do Hz/V, I'll be very happy (not got into it that deep yet).