Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Tonemaster Deluxe...?

What's Hot
There have been a few of these on the forum for sale lately. What's the general consensus on them, as good as the 'real' thing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lots of discussion on this already…..some say they are the real deal others say not quite but overall opinion seems to rate the amp as good especially if carrying the thing is an issue….
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Better than the real thing; lighter, DI out, lots of info on here;

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/189961/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They are not 100% identical to a "real" one but they have so many other redeeming features that I don't care. 

For me, an all-valve DR is impossible without spending another several-hundred on attenuation as I'm in an apartment, so the controllable volume alone is worth its weight in gold. Never mind the light weight and DI - you can load guitar, pedalboard and amp into a rehearsal room in a single trip!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I need to try one of these, soon...
  • Wazmeister, nice review thanks...
  • Fantastic review @Wazmeister, that was better than most guitar website reviews. But I would still also add to the original post - these are selling almost weekly and usually at very reasonable prices, which doesn't seem to fit with the consensus amongst those singing its praises.

Are people just so attached valves that it gnaws away at them until they decide to go back? ( I know I would be if I went digital)

• koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    I have a 64 Handwired and a Tonemaster. The 64 is the best sounding if you can turn it up, the reverb is better, it goes into overdrive in a much more pleasant way and there’s a big difference to the bottom end punch that these class D amps can’t seem to replicate.
    However the Tonemaster gets WAY more use, sounds better at low volumes, I can carry it across a festival field, the DI out sounds better than any Helix product IMO.
    So it all depends on your end use, now they’re starting to sell for decent prices they’re the ultimate tool for simple amp loving guitarists that need some modern tech. 
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Fantastic review @Wazmeister, that was better than most guitar website reviews. But I would still also add to the original post - these are selling almost weekly and usually at very reasonable prices, which doesn't seem to fit with the consensus amongst those singing its praises.

Are people just so attached valves that it gnaws away at them until they decide to go back? ( I know I would be if I went digital)

This is a common logical trap that people fall into.

Something is massively popular then in a few months lots of them will come up for sale even if people love them.

The result is the inevitable THE HONEYMOON IS OVER! Thread

Thinking Fast and Slow is a good read on this subject.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fantastic review @Wazmeister, that was better than most guitar website reviews. But I would still also add to the original post - these are selling almost weekly and usually at very reasonable prices, which doesn't seem to fit with the consensus amongst those singing its praises.

They are selling because more people have bought them !

As I have said many times before;  play one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold mine because I decided I wanted a Vox and I live in apartment so one amp is enough space-wise.

It was great at low volume, for recording, rehearsal and really good when I gigged it. It did everything well.

If I was rehearsing and gigging I’d have kept it. I’d buy another, or maybe I’d try the Super Reverb next time…
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    I played mine again this evening with my Les Paul on the second lowest wattage setting and it blew my frickin mind. Incredible tone. Mine is blonde and beautiful. Had the amp volume on about 8 and was in heaven. Lowering the guitar volume cleaned up the gain really nicely. I'm withdrawing mine from sale again. I get bad gas and think I need to go in a 'different direction' but when I play the TMDR it puts a huge grin on my face every time.

I did notice at band rehearsal it didn't quite have the ooomph of my HRD but as a home amp/small pub gigs it's perfect. 

If you see one cheap I would snap it up ASAP. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I think I see a blonde one in my future....
  • You may want to check out a Quilter Cub. I have one and love it. Some prefer them to the Tone Master amps. I can't comment as I've never played a TM.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    You may want to check out a Quilter Cub. I have one and love it. Some prefer them to the Tone Master amps. I can't comment as I've never played a TM.

That looks really interesting and poses quite the question for anyone looking at the TMDR. If it sounds as good as people are saying, it looks like a call between a more flexible product or the less able but much cooler looking Fender. 
  • I got a 2nd hand Tone Master Twin Reverb from Richtone last week as I fancied a bigger higher output version of the DR, which I sold (unnecessary to be honest, as the DR was more than adequate for my needs, but when has that ever stopped a gear purchase) - they are both brilliant amps - sound fantastic, zero worry about valves/biasing etc, light as a feather and look cool. Any difference between the Twin and a valve Twin I had is so small and insignificant as to be pointless bothering about when you consider the benefits.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited December 2021
    You may want to check out a Quilter Cub. I have one and love it. Some prefer them to the Tone Master amps. I can't comment as I've never played a TM.

I haven't played the TM, but seriously thought of getting one as a back-up to/different flavour from my Quilter Mach 2 (and selling all my other amps).  In fact I'm sure I'd have got one by now if gigging hadn't been suspended because of Covid).

The arrival of the new Quilters (Cub and Mach 3) has me swithering.  In fact I'm currently leaning towards the Mach 3 instead of the TM.

Other than my Mach 2 I haven't heard any of these amps in the flesh but as a Quilter fan who's been seriously tempted by the TMs I've been researching the subject pretty hard.  My clear impressions are that both amps are rated very highly by users;  my somewhat less clear-cut impression is that on the whole people who've been able to compare both tend to prefer the Quilters.

Obviously the Quilters are rarer beasts especially in the UK and there may be a knock on effect on resale.

But if I'd advise anyone considering the TM to look at the Quilters too.  I'd seriously consider mine as one of my top 3 gear purchases ever, and a candidate for top 1.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • You may want to check out a Quilter Cub. I have one and love it. Some prefer them to the Tone Master amps. I can't comment as I've never played a TM.

I haven't played the TM, but seriously thought of getting one as a back-up to/different flavour from my Quilter Mach 2 (and selling all my other amps).  In fact I'm sure I'd have got one by now if gigging hadn't been suspended because of Covid).

The arrival of the new Quilters (Cub and Mach 3) has me swithering.  In fact I'm currently leaning towards the Mach 3 instead of the TM.

Other than my Mach 2 I haven't heard any of these amps in the flesh but as a Quilter fan who's been seriously tempted by the TMs I've been researching the subject pretty hard.  My clear impressions are that both amps are rated very highly by users;  my somewhat less clear-cut impression is that on the whole people who've been able to compare both tend to prefer the Quilters.

Obviously the Quilters are rarer beasts especially in the UK and there may be a knock on effect on resale.

But if I'd advise anyone considering the TM to look at the Quilters too.  I'd seriously consider mine as one of my top 3 gear purchases ever, and a candidate for top 1.
    I've had my Cub for a week and I can't stop playing it. It's a great amp. I was curious about the function of the limiter because I've never used anything like it. It's a great feature that lets you really fine tune the tone and feel when you use the higher gain settings. I was interested in the TMDR but I wasn't keen on the attenuation thing - why not a master? I can't see the sense in it.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited December 2021
    oddly enough I was just about to post a thread asking the same ad there's a TM TR on marketplace   - it looked "too good to be true" sort of thing -  then  watched the Andertons vid and Danish Pete was certainly very impressed........................  good to see what the chaps on here think...................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Barquentine said:……….
    why not a master? I can't see the sense in it.
    Simply because a Deluxe Reverb doesn’t have one. The idea of sticking to the recipe the way they have is either the amps biggest failure or the biggest triumph. Or both??
  • dazzajl said:
    Barquentine said:……….
    why not a master? I can't see the sense in it.
    Simply because a Deluxe Reverb doesn’t have one. The idea of sticking to the recipe the way they have is either the amps biggest failure or the biggest triumph. Or both??
    A DR doesn't have an attenuator either.