Cricking my neck and shoulder

I've played bass on and off for 40+ years.  Obviously I'm no longer a spring chicken, but my current bass is a headless Roscoe which is quite light at 7lbs 10oz.  I can play it for ages with no ill effects.  I usually play standing up, and never use a pick.

In the last year, I've got into guitars.  I've always been able to strum one a little, but this was my first start at trying hard to learn the instrument properly.  I've ended up with my chosen guitar being a Nocaster, and I love it very much.  It's lighter than the bass, clocking in at 7lb 8oz.  I also play this standing up, but I am using a pick.

I am finding that my neck and shoulder are not able to cope with playing the guitar for very long.  I am getting cricks, and finding I have to stop, and it's rather painful.

Now in fairness, I'm not in great shape.  I have a "fuller figure" and lockdown has not seen me on a journey of self improvement (well not in terms of fitness anyway, guitar is another matter).  Then again, I'm not sure BB King was in great shape either.

I *think* the root of the problem might be that my right hand position on the bass involves my elbow being quite raised for my fingerstyle playing, whereas on the guitar, the elbow is lower with the strumming/picking coming more from the wrist.  It's also possible that with the bass, my hand positions are keeping the instrument across my body, whereas with guitar and my belly (ahem!) I am inclined to point the headstock forwards a little.

I want to be able to persevere with guitar, and I don't like to sit when I play.  Is there something obvious I'm missing?  Maybe some good exercises?  Or should I use a different strap (I use the long Mono M80 Betty straps on all my instruments).
Click here for my feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Don't bass players play with the bass slung a bit to the side and the neck pointing forward so it's not as big a stretch to first fret. Guitar is more across the body; except if you're Jimmy Page and that's about knee level. I really never understood how it's possible to play a guitar that low slung. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• In have arthritis in my lower neck (and several other places as well). The best treatment is gentle exercise.  Google it. The effect will not be instant but you should see improvement over, say, a month. But don't overdo it. Keep working gently.
  • MaxfMaxf Frets: 11
    Are you rolling your shoulder forward, perhaps while looking down a little more than you would playing the bass?   That could cause some shoulder/neck spasms.  

Try really concentrating on your shoulder blade position when you play next and try to push your shoulder back to keep a ‘chest out, shoulders back’ position and see how that feels rather than being a bit curled up. 

Massive caveat here is that I’m very much a beginner guitarist and may be misunderstanding you. I’ve done plenty of sport and naturally seem to suffer from shoulder and neck issues if I’m not militant about back position when cycling and rowing (both reaching forward where it’s easy to lose form when you’re knackered).  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    Devil#20 said:
    Don't bass players play with the bass slung a bit to the side and the neck pointing forward so it's not as big a stretch to first fret. Guitar is more across the body; except if you're Jimmy Page and that's about knee level. I really never understood how it's possible to play a guitar that low slung. 
    I’ve been playing bass for 35 years and I’ve never done that.
  • Thanks for the responses so far :)

I seem to naturally hold the bass across my body/belly.

God, arthritis hadn't even occurred to me, I really hope it isn't that!  I'll definitely try to do some regular exercises.

I've been analysing it some more and I *think* I might be dropping my left shoulder more than my right when playing guitar than I do when playing bass.  I'll try puffing my chest out and see how I get on.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    Are you stressed when you play? I often get neck/shoulder pain when I’m trying to learn a new piece.

Also have you tried sitting down? This could change your posture and make it more comfortable  
  • drofluf said:
    Are you stressed when you play? I often get neck/shoulder pain when I’m trying to learn a new piece.

Also have you tried sitting down? This could change your posture and make it more comfortable  
    As a general rule, I would say no.  I'm mostly running through a series of things I've determined I should be practising.  I'm doing it just for me.  Then a little noodling once I've completed my exercises.

As for sitting down, I'd love to be able to, but with the current seating arrangements in the room I'm in, I don't seem to be able to get comfortable.  I would say it's probably worse, in terms of cricking my neck etc.