Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Difficulty holding plectrums due to fingers sweating

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions - much appreciated.

@ FunkyGibbon - have PM'd you.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I had this annoying problem when I started playing guitar in 1960. I largely solved it by drilling holes, or you can buy flatpicks that already have holes and Wegen springs to mind. But Moon Dust? I'm going to have to try that, it sounds way cool :) 
    Liquid Chalk is another product you can use to dry your hands (often used by drummers to hold on to the sticks). And if a pick falls into the soundhole take a pencil, put some blu-tak on the blunt end, get the pick where you can see it and stab it with your homemade pick remover :) 
  • Another option here... https://www.zenfirepicks.com/   Based in USA but will post for free to UK (std mail). I've order a couple of picks to try out, but not arrived yet
  • I find Prime Tone picks are helpful for grip. My fingers get very dry but the bumpy surface helps.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    edited December 2021
    John Mclaughlin and Jeff beck have been known to use Baby powder in a live situation......i use the oil but but not on my pick

tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    I use V-picks (USA) - I think the theory is that the material gets more tacky as it warms up. Great in any case.
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    Update: FunkyGibbon very kindly sent one of his plectrums (Snarling Dog Brain) to try out and it is a vast improvement on the ones I was using. With the extra tiny points on both surfaces has aided me having a better grip - so thanks Funky Gibbon, much appreciated. 

Thank you for all your suggestions and I will be looking into them as well.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • Great to hear it worked for you. You’re most welcome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I could never hold plecs for strumming, always dropping them or misholding them. I changed to no plec at all (many years ago), and much prefer the feel without. 
    Eaxctly this
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23929

I bought some of these while I had a finger injury. They are spring loaded and a much better shape than traditional 1 piece thump picks.

They are Black Mountain Thumb Picks.

If I can find where I put them you can have them.
    @fretmeister ; Fred Kelly makes a similar one but no spring, the Bumblebee :) 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 268
    I’ve always had this problem. Not from sweating but my hands are dry and not very oily. I use gorilla snot but it’s far from ideal. I think my technique has improved a little recently, I’m not strumming as perpendicular as I was and I think this has helped. Happy for people to provide links to the various picks though. Some aren’t easy to find. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Climbers chalk or gorilla snot. The problem with gorilla snot is it dries out in the tub before you get very far down it so it can end up expensive. I find it works great though. Even if you haven't used that particular pick for a while it re-activates after a minute or so. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• PALPAL Frets: 515
    If you happy with your picks just relax like anything if we are trying too hard at any thing we sweat I used to have this  problem
      but now it's fine ( I've been playing since 1960s ) The only thing I found that helped me was using the side of the pick instead
      of the point ! It sounds odd I know but we are all different it just made my picking more precise and relaxed. You will find
      what's right for you just try a few different things. Hope this helps.
  • Axe2GrindAxe2Grind Frets: 5
    You should try acrylic picks  like Gravity or V-Picks, I find as you're hand becomes sweaty, the acrylic material stick to your fingers better than anything else, not that my hands sweat really badly.