Les Paul style Guitar - PAF or P90?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited December 2021
    Sassafras said:
    P90s.
    I don't like humbuckers on any guitars.
    Really? I have humbuckers on all my guitars more or less. 2 have single coils. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Humbuckers.

P90s are ugly as sin. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited December 2021 tFB Trader
    Something like these 2 are my suggestions, my telepaul has pretty much made my LP style redundant, much more versatile too
    Firebird neck was just superb and I never tried that before but another is on the list
    Telepaul has all the jangle and balls rolled into one package

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • P90s are probably my favourite pickups, but I love PAFs too. If you think PAFs have “no dynamics” in your set up, then I’d be looking at the guitar, pedals and amp to try to understand why that might be. In my experience good PAFs are very versatile and very dynamic when paired with the right amp and pedals. Good luck with the search for ‘that’ sound, we’ve all been there!

I posted a vid a while back where I was using my t-top loaded The Paul and someone asked if it was p-90s. IMHO it was to do with how I had my guitar, pedals and amp set up.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    Turn the guitar volume down a notch or two, this will stop it pummelling the pre amp, and give you some ‘dynamics’ back when playing chords/riffs.

This has the added bonus of having ‘somewhere to go’ when it comes time to take a lead guitar break!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2021
    That's what I do ^. Also a "transparent" type overdrive helps. 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I had mules and then stormy Mondays in my 335, mules were good but I wanted a little more ( probably could have kept them and been happy to be honest). Went the wrong way with stormy Mondays as they were supposed to be the quintessential bareknuckle pickup for a semi hollow. But like you I felt thy just didn’t have any punch. 

Recently had a chat with Bare Knuckle themselves and described what I was looking for, same sort of clarity with some more aggression and bite. 

They said Riff Raffs were what I was describing and were more 60s sounding (not sure what that means, but I like it), apparently Noel Gallagher has some in his semi acoustics….

As soon as I have the spare cash I’ll be getting them installed. 

They also talked me through wiring options and said you can get Peter Green and BB King style out of phase sound with a push pull pot but that coil splitting wasn’t really worth it as they are quite low output already

Ive never really got the Tele in steroids analogy, I have a tele as well and would prefer the 335 to sound different. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Wrong guitar for your music - it has to be a decent Telecaster for the sound you are craving .....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Rocker said:
    Wrong guitar for your music - it has to be a decent Telecaster for the sound you are craving .....
    This.

Or an SG with Mini Humbuckers or P90s. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    Humbuckers.

P90s are ugly as sin. 
    It's a fair point well put. :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Try a scooped humbucker e.g. SD Custom 5
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Have you considered humbucker sized p90s ?
     I have a LP Special with humbuckers  , I swapped them out for a BK Mississippi Queen and a Kent Armstrong Ragtop in the bridge,  and it sounds awesome.

I keep saying I'm going to put humbuckers back in it, as all of my fave guitars now have p90s in them , but I can't bring myself to do it , it sounds so good.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    PAF in the bridge, p90 in the neck.

I'm doing it wrong!......

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I should have put a picture up really.

To be honest, I started off thinking that P90s wouldn't look right, but visually they're growing on me now - especially realising that unless you're quite close, you probably wouldn't noticve that they weren't just uncovered humbuckers.

Well... band practice tonight, so I'll see how they do.

May be an image of guitar
  • I’d recommend a Humbucker sized P-90. 

Oil city do a good one. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    The ideal for me is one of each :) if there was only one then humbuckers. I'm not a huge fan of the low wind PAF types but something "vintage hot" like the Bare Knuckle Black Dog is great. Granted I'm not playing edge of breakup indie stuff though, far from it. I'd probably go for the P90s in your situation.
  • PrecisionGuidedPrecisionGuided Frets: 72
    edited December 2021
    P90s are very versatile and have a real snarly growl. Everything from Ramones to Live at Leeds.
    Humbuckers - low output PAFs are too polite for what you want and real high output HBs are too flat and dark.
    Hotter PAFs are what you want - SD SH6 Distortion or SD Pearly Gates are excellent.
    Also 500K pots - Gibson had a phase of fitting 330K pots which rob some snarl...

A bit of clean/treble boost and a bluesbreaker type distortion

• Try an eq pedal on your board? 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited December 2021
    PAF in the bridge, p90 in the neck.

I'm doing it wrong!......

Hey old man..Do you play both Country and Western music?

• I might be missing the point a little here but if you like the noodling tones you get at home but it does not have enough edge for the band is the simple answer to get a well dialled in EQ pedal for the band. Far easier to control than trying to get it right From the pickup end.