1Q22 Challenge Cano LP DC Kit Guitar Build

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• CanoCano Frets: 21
    Well I can definitely tell that this board hasn't had a particularly fine level of sanding, so at least frets out gives me the op to do that to a nice level of finish.

Thanks for the help guys, healthy debate on the ways around this is good for all 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27445
    It’s difficult to see how deep those chips go, but your comment ...

Cano said:
    Well I can definitely tell that this board hasn't had a particularly fine level of sanding, 
    ... prompted another thought.

Could you sand the board to remove the tear outs, or at least some of them?  That might be quicker than filling them all, re-cutting the fret slots, and then re-sanding the board (if not quite as much) to tidy it all up again. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    We'll see. I'm certainly not in a rush and won't be doing anything with the neck for a week or so now. When I do, I'm already expecting to spend a couple of days to get the glue&fill done well.

Maybe I run a few passes of sandpaper over the board first, But I'm also sure that'll rip out the loose chips that are still partially attached.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Looking back at your pics, the fretboard does look pretty thick. 6mm is about right for the thickest point of the board, so if you have much more than that, a radius block will save you a lot of time patching it up. There's a possibility that you'll go through the dots but they're easily replaced, and you may need to deepen the fret slots afterwards if theyre not over-deep already.
    davros said:
    Looking back at your pics, the fretboard does look pretty thick. 6mm is about right for the thickest point of the board, so if you have much more than that, a radius block will save you a lot of time patching it up. There's a possibility that you'll go through the dots but they're easily replaced, and you may need to deepen the fret slots afterwards if theyre not over-deep already.
    I'll pop the fret slot saw in and tape off the depth to see how deep they're cut. As you say, it certainly looks like there's more than a 6mm thick piece of rosewood there (it's packed away for now, so I'll check tomorrow). 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Cano said:
    Thanks guys - this will be the All Qs 22 Challenge for me rather than racing for 1st April :lol: 

Frets I'll order pre-cut and radiused from Feline Guitars. I have a fret cutter and a 35 degree edge file, fret hammer but I don't have anything specific for nipping the ends of the tangs for the bound board. It may be a silly question, but would a wire cutter and some needle files be up to the job?

I also have a 12 inch radius sanding block, so once I've checked the truss rod and set it 100% flat (and cleaned the fret slots, I have the hosco slot cleaning saw) I'll give a few passes with that and see if there are any other areas of concern.

Thanks for the tip to leave the chip repairs until after the new frets are in. I guess they also give a good route for the glue to get into the fret slots too.
    @Cano ; I'll tang nip the frets at one end for you if you like, cutting your work down a lot - Sorry will get back to your email soon

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

@Cano ; I'll tang nip the frets at one end for you if you like, cutting your work down a lot - Sorry will get back to your email soon
    Thanks, I was going to give you a call on Tuesday anyway so that's great to know! 
    So, I haven't touched this kit for a couple of weeks. I've got some days off this week so will work on fixing the nut shelf. If that works out, then I'll start work on the filling the tear out and ordering some replacement frets from @FelineGuitars ;

In the meantime I've been in contact with the seller of the kit about refunds etc and they're making me a new neck. I have no idea what will turn up, so I'm going to treat the neck I already have as if it's not getting replaced and be as careful as I can.

Realistically I'm not planning to get this completed for the end of Q1 though unless this week's work goes really well. If I end up having to wait for that new neck, then with Chinese New Year just about to start I'm unlikely to get the replacement until April anyway.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27445
    Cano said:

In the meantime I've been in contact with the seller of the kit about refunds etc and they're making me a new neck.
    That’s a good bit of customer service! 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Cano said:

In the meantime I've been in contact with the seller of the kit about refunds etc and they're making me a new neck.
    That’s a good bit of customer service! 
    Well, they suggested negotiating a refund. I listed the tools etc I'd had to buy and they didn't like the number I suggested. They only offered a £15 refund (the kit was 140) so I refused.

I stressed the point that the neck would be ruined if I screw up the nut shelf /fretboard.

Then they offered to make up a new neck, so I accepted. I've had to send them the neck heel measurements so I'm less than confident that the replacement will fit. 
    Time to resurrect this thread and this build.

Two weeks ago I took my new Epiphone to David K (Flame Guitars) for a setup and figured I should take the neck from this kit with as well. I left it with him and this morning before I drove over to pickup the Epi, he fixed end of the fretboard on this kit neck too :)

So I now need to pick up the phone to Feline Guitars to order some pre-cut frets and get this Q1/Q3 2022 build started.

I have all the hardware, harness and pickups too now so time to crack on with this one.

Before:
    https://i.imgur.com/Vz7ymQt.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom