Any Stigg Les Paul replica owners out there?

What's Hot
PaulButtPaulButt Frets: 49
edited January 2022 in Guitar
So I've just picked up a lovely 14ish year old 'Stigg' built Les Paul 58 replica. Its a gold top which, I believe, is pretty unusual. I wondered if there were any other 'Stigg' owners out there who might like to share your experiences with me. This is my first replica guitar and, to me, the build quality and overall feel of the guitar is incredible. I must admit though, parting with so much cash, for a non Gibson Gibson, left me a little shaky.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited January 2022
    heard of Stagg but not Stigg, Im assuming they're a luthier ?

EDIT -  oh,  here we go  >>  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134899/sold-stig-built-burst-single-cut-guitar

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14413
    Never heard of Stigg. Have heard of Stagg, an SE Asian copy brand that has been going for decades.

Now, insert your own joke about a racing car driver who likes to remain anonymous. Presumably, these guitars are only available in white. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    'Stig' LPs are very well thought of and usually quite desired. I seem to recall them being mentioned in the same breath as Bartlett etc. I think they were all commissioned by Gary Winterflood based on his own '59?

The builder remained anonymous (hence The Stig aka Top Gear) but that's as much as I know
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Played a few about 2 years ago now. Nice guitars, seem well made but I went with a different builder who had more of a following. Enjoy! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    The name just makes me think of this:

Stig Of The Dump Poster - The Literary Gift Company
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited January 2022
    Never heard of Stigg. Have heard of Stagg, an SE Asian copy brand that has been going for decades.

Now, insert your own joke about a racing car driver who likes to remain anonymous. Presumably, these guitars are only available in white. 
    if you check  the 2018 "for sale" link I posted -  £5k !! 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • @RiftAmps thats the one :) 
  • Yes, I’ve owned a couple of his bursts and a dot 335, very good guitars especially the burst I sold here, I miss that one. Pricey but not when compared to a Gibson CS. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    Philly_Q said:

Excellent book, I remember reading that a half century or more ago!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

Excellent book.
  • @jimmyguitar i didn't know he did 335s. I'd love to see one of those!
  • PaulButt said:
    @jimmyguitar i didn't know he did 335s. I'd love to see one of those!
    It was lovely, Matt from ‘the temperance movement’ bought it off me, think he still uses it…
  • 0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @jimmyguitar good lord! Thats gorgeous 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8696
    At this point I should remind members that this particular guitar carries a Gibson logo. Any attempt to sell it through the forum, with or without pictures of the headstock, will result in an instant ban. For more information please read these threads:

For more information read these threads:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/120189/no-fakes 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/160796/classifieds-rule-change-counterfeits

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • @Roland duly noted. Thanks.
  • I was fortunate enough to start buying ‘Bursts in the 70’s so I have owned quite a few and kept the two I liked most, right up until 2015. That was after I purchased my third STIGG guitar, my second Les Paul from Guitar Avenue. I now own two beautiful STIGG flametop LP standards and an incredible, beautifully figured blonde STIGG 335. All of these are fitted with original long -magnet PAFs, original looms, ABR-1s and long studs. (in other words the bits that make a difference to the sound). My two Les Pauls sound as good as any original PAF Les Paul (Gold or Sunburst) and as musical instruments the STIGGs play much better. Trust me I really have played an awful lot of originals especially through the best years of US guitar shows!

My 335 is also out there on its own…... BETTER than any Gibson “dotneck” I’ve owned or played and I’ve played a few of those too! Most people who have played mine have turned to me and said “it’s probably the best guitar they’ve ever played”.  

So it’s no secret I’m a big fan and will never sell my STIGGS, they’re mine for life so it doesn’t matter that they cost more than most “Historics” - in any case why should I worry? I sold my originals and put £420,000 in the bank - PERFECT!

If you can find one check it out, there are no bad STIGGs……. they’re ALL great guitars.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I've only seen one stigg a few years ago it was at the kempton guitar show, i think it was being punted out by Gary winterflood,  I think I heard prices were around £20k which is nuts, not that I buy anything so it doesn't matter.

Looked like a nice lp that's all I remember.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RockhardRockhard Frets: 127
    PaulButt said:
    So I've just picked up a lovely 14ish year old 'Stigg' built Les Paul 58 replica. Its a gold top which, I believe, is pretty unusual. I wondered if there were any other 'Stigg' owners out there who might like to share your experiences with me. This is my first replica guitar and, to me, the build quality and overall feel of the guitar is incredible. I must admit though, parting with so much cash, for a non Gibson Gibson, left me a little shaky.

Lovely .
  • RockhardRockhard Frets: 127
    I've only seen one stigg a few years ago it was at the kempton guitar show, i think it was being punted out by Gary winterflood,  I think I heard prices were around £20k which is nuts, not that I buy anything so it doesn't matter.

Looked like a nice lp that's all I remember.
    Must've been fitted with 50s PAFs and harware .