Help needed! Uploading images to imgur then downloading to fretboard.

What's Hot
Hi

I want to try selling a guitar here, but I must be really thick, cos despite the previous helpful instructions, I can't work out how to post pics from my Samsung Android phone.

Basically I've got photos of it on my phone, but for some reason cannot work out how to upload these to Imgur, let alone how to then download them to Imgur.

Please help me! It's a really nice instrument and I need the dosh!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5376
    Click on the photo to open it, you should have a bar at the bottom with the following icons:
    Arrow up, arrow down, like, share.
    I then click the photo AGAIN to fully open it and you then get the following options:
    Comment, like, download, share. It's THIS share button I use to copy the image address and then paste on here.
    The share option on the earlier screen gives a different image address which doesn't always work.
    I'll do a test to see if they both work.

Copied from the 1st share option:

https://imgur.com/a/I3pmRe0

And this one from the 2nd share option:

https://i.imgur.com/RlafE5J.jpeg

edited January 2022
    See, the 1st share option is a link, whereas the 2nd is the actual image location and has .jpeg at the end of it.
  • Sorry I meant download them to fretboard. 

I've got the Imgur app on my phone
    As for uploading to Imgur, it's as easy as opening the app and then pressing the + button at the bottom of the screen. I always choose to make me photos 'hidden' rather than 'public' so they are not freely available to anyone scrolling through Imgur.
  • Except that both of those just show as links when viewed on mobile, @DiscoStu .  The key thing - as well as tapping the picture to open it as you describe - is to paste the link into the attachment tool (icon with folded paper), not into the main body of the thread.  Then it embeds properly.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Except that both of those just show as links when viewed on mobile, @DiscoStu .  The key thing - as well as tapping the picture to open it as you describe - is to paste the link into the attachment tool (icon with folded paper), not into the main body of the thread.  Then it embeds properly.
    I can see the second image just fine on here, and I'm using my phone.

Sorry I meant download them to fretboard. 

I've got the Imgur app on my phone
    You can't, this site won't let you store photos on here hence why we use Imgur. Post the copied image address instead.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    One of the difficulties is that imgur and other hosting services change their software from time to time. So the advice in this thread might be out of date. For me on an ipad this method works. On a laptop I right click on the imgur image, select copy link, click the attach file icon, and paste that link into the box where it says "Image URL".

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    image.png 431.3K
    @Smellyfingers can you see the second image I posted above or are you getting two text links like @Jonathangus says?
    edited January 2022
    Cos I'm getting this:

https://i.imgur.com/EqbV2UK.jpeg

• Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Can you see the screengrab I posted now, @Jonathangus ?
  • I can't see this 2nd image either@DiscoStu

Message to moderators: when I sold a bass on basschat I did not recall having these problems, but then they charge a fixed £7 fee for just listing, which might be an idea for your FB.
  • DiscoStu said:
    I can, yes.  Whether it depends on your version of Android (mine is old-ish), I don't know.  The most reliable method - that always works, IME - is to use the attachment tool, though.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    edited January 2022

Message to moderators: when I sold a bass on basschat I did not recall having these problems, but then they charge a fixed £7 fee for just listing, which might be an idea for your FB.
    Direct loading of images to this forum *IS* a function that's currently being worked on.

In the meantime, we've written a few how-to guides for the various image hosts that people use, and the various platforms/devices  too.

@Roland posted a link to one of those guides above.  For some reason (that I don't understand) that link isn't working quite properly.  Click the link in my sig below, then choose the imgur option.

I didn't include details in the guide of how to upload to an image host, as I presumed that anyone using a host would  know how to do that.  However;
    • Open the imgur app on your phone
    • In the icon bar at the bottom of the screen is a "+" icon.  Click that.
    • You  should now see a gallery of all the photos on your device.
    • Select the one/s you want to upload and click the big green "Next" button (top right of screen).
    • Your images should now upload to your imgur account.
    Once they're uploaded, use the instructions linked above to embed the images in your posts here.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    DiscoStu said:
    I can, yes.  Whether it depends on your version of Android (mine is old-ish), I don't know.  The most reliable method - that always works, IME - is to use the attachment tool, though.
    Ok then... Cos that was a direct copy/paste just as I did before, and not using the attachment tool.
    I wonder if the first time around, because I pasted a LINK first, it somehow switched off the image pasting that came after it? Could that be a thing?
    Given that the only thing I pasted in the later post was the image address and you can see that fine is rather odd!
    And the fact I can see it ok on my phone, why am I not getting 2 links like you guys? I'm on Android 11.

I've tried the attachment tool in the past (from my phone) but it never works.
    edited January 2022
    You've got me curious now!

Can you see the images in the OP of this thread of mine?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221116/ngd-its-a-tele-but-it-isnt
  • TTony said:

Direct loading of images to this forum *IS* a function that's currently being worked on.
    This.

Basically, there will be a subscription model (since image hosting costs £££, and there's the extra manpower requirement for checking uploaded images for copyright etc). I'm more or less settled on £3.50/month, which should cover us for the foreseeable future. An added bonus is that subscribers don't see ads.

I'm working on the finer details, like the integration with Patreon to make it a seamless subscription and renewal process; unfortunately, they don't provide a test API to develop against, so it's kind of live-or-nothing....hence taking my time over it to make sure it's all going to behave itself when left unattended.

Basically, though, when it's done subscribers will be able to directly upload images from any device and we won't need to care too much about how much storage is used. At least, unless we have loads of people subscribing and then they all unsubscribe en masse after uploading a ton of images.
    <space for hire>
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited January 2022
    DiscoStu said:
    You've got me curious now!

Can you see the images in the OP of this thread of mine?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/221116/ngd-its-a-tele-but-it-isnt
    Discostu, you’re using the full desktop version of tfb on your mobile (I do this too). If you used the mobile version, both types of link just show the link. Not the pic. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom