1st personal single

What's Hot
CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
edited February 2022 in Plug My Stuff
Getting back to composing -more as a therapeutic activity as practicing and trying to catch up with youtube wonder-shredders was depressing/ frustrating and not leading to any musical growth. 

Here's my first piece, moist cake. No dodgy references - I was looking for a happy positive title and the cake our neighbour brought had been the highlight of that day. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-904240047/moist-cake?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing 

• Slate drums and everything played by me.
  • Tyler BW plugged in ch1 of a SLO-modded JCA 100 for rhythm and boogie Mk4 for leads.
  • All going through reactive load boxes to Logic. 
  • Bass DI'd is a short scale squire with a UA amp sim.
  • Badly used Slate plugins for mix and mastering..

FYI the reference track for overall sound was Let me put my love into you from AC/DC bc with the bell-like rich stabby tone of guitar chords in the intro, but more modern and guitar-centric.

I struggled a bit getting the lead to sit on top of everything whilst still being glued in to the rest of the mix and not overdoing it with loudness and reverb/ delay.. 

Anyhoo, your reviews are welcome and if you like it, give it a share. 

Thanks for listening.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Ok....so aside from it being Material Girl by Madonna ;-).....in my monitors the  guitars seems to lack some low end....so its all a bit middley if you get what I mean...some excellent playing though, so well done !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    @spark240 ,
    damn good ears! ad thanks.

the middley bit is what I’m struggling with and suspect it has to do with ear fatigue from the numerous takes and practicing the choppy bits. I started with a good setting on the Mk4 which  sounded like EJ violin tone after a while and my ears craved for more cut.
    then on goes the SD1 and 1.5K boost in DAW.

Then add 200 in the delay repeats and it becomes mush with bass and kick low end so take that out..

learning curve..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely has Madonna vibes

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

@Cookiemonster, ;I changed the Madonna-sounding phrase to a much worst one, not sure if the link updated or not
  • Catthan said:
    @Cookiemonster, ;I changed the Madonna-sounding phrase to a much worst one, not sure if the link updated or not
    I liked it. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    Pretty sure moist is on some buzzfeed kind of list of words that can only ever mean one thing!

Nice playing, sounds expressive but does grate on the ears a little bit, I had to turn the volume down a fair bit to be comfortable. Like you said, ear fatigue probably on your end!
    Hey @MentalSharps ;

thanks for having a listen and I agree it can get a bit harsh on the ears.
    Lesson learnt!!
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    Still enjoyed it, should have added that! I'm not much of a muso but has a feeling of Joe Satriani to me. 

I have a Jet City amp, interesting to hear the SLO mod. Did you do the depth mod? That would add some low mid girth in there :)