MacBook for MainStage?

What's Hot
Quite fancy scratching the slight itch I have to try apple mainstage.  Don't want to spend a huge amount on a MacBook so was wondering what people recommend to be able to run it for a stable setup for  spec/models/ ram/chipset/release year?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    I've been running a 2012 A1398 for the last 2 years doing theatre gigs up and down the country. Mainstage has been rock solid, had some issues with the cheap midi KB I was using but Mainstage it's self has been great. 

Late 2012 Retina to 2016 was a sweet spot for Macbook Pro's .... after that your into the Touchabar models with USB C crap. Newer isn't always better, the 16Gb i7 Retinas from late 2012 to 2016 ish are the best Macbook Pro's made from a design / reliability point of view  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This for live or home?

i killed two macbooks while my 2011 iMac just keeps going. MacBooks just don’t take much physical hammer.

Latest Mac Mini with a screen of choice could be smarter/cheaper option.  You get maximum app and OS lifespan,
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    This for live or home?

i killed two macbooks while my 2011 iMac just keeps going. MacBooks just don’t take much physical hammer.

Latest Mac Mini with a screen of choice could be smarter/cheaper option.  You get maximum app and OS lifespan,
    Probably rehearsals more than gigs.  But If it was stable and 'just worked' then maybe. I have a desktop pc set up nice at home and most places I play a monitor isn't going to be feasible.
    Danny1969 said:
    I've been running a 2012 A1398 for the last 2 years doing theatre gigs up and down the country. Mainstage has been rock solid, had some issues with the cheap midi KB I was using but Mainstage it's self has been great. 

Late 2012 Retina to 2016 was a sweet spot for Macbook Pro's .... after that your into the Touchabar models with USB C crap. Newer isn't always better, the 16Gb i7 Retinas from late 2012 to 2016 ish are the best Macbook Pro's made from a design / reliability point of view  
    thanks that's very useful info. 

What midi kB did you use,?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    thomasw88 said:
    Danny1969 said:

thanks that's very useful info. 

What midi kB did you use,?
    It's a £45 Nektar ..... very cheap and unfortunately I got what I paid for. I've since brought a Korg i3 which is an OK entry level keyboard but the sounds aren't as good as Mainstage. Setting the key mapping is more of a pain as well than the click and drag of Mainstage 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I snagged a Roland DS61 on the bay today so will give that a go  Going to leave the macbook for the time being.
  • Was gigging a DS61 tonight..  nice lightweight bit of kit