Composition Challenge #35

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited June 2022 in Making Music
Time for round #35 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
This one was suggested by @poopot, who also kindly supplied the video.

It's a bit of an experiment, so you might have to bear with it as we collectively sort out how to make it work. There might be a bit of trial and error, so please be patient. Treat it as a learning experience where we can help each other.

The aim is to create an audio track for a video, which can be downloaded at the link below (kindly provided by @poopot)

It's suggested the composed audio should start at 00:00:00:00 on the time stamp rather than from the start of the count. That way, if people just submit just the audio, we can align the audio and video after submission.

If you want to send the video with the audio added, please use a file sharing site and send a link, as the file size will be too big for my email.

Alternatively you can upload it to somewhere like Youtube yourself if you have an Youtube channel and send a link.

DATES AND VOTING
The submission deadline is midnight 1st June 2022  extended to 7th June
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
The email address is Compositions@theFB.co.uk
If you want to just submit audio (in mp3 format) you can send it to the above address as a file attachment.
Otherwise, for video plus audio, only send a link to the video (or to download the video) to the above email address.  

ENTRY PLAYLIST
Entries will be posted on this thread as they arrive. I'll probably use my Youtube channel to host the various submissions

For info here's a link to the video on Youtube, but you'll need to use the link given earlier to download it.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Please shout if anyone needs any help in making this work. To be honest I might need some help myself :)

This can be a mutual learning exercise.

It's not a competition.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited March 2022
    Yeah this will be challenging yet fun...thanks poopot for providing the film clip. I think the car racing scene sorta writes itself....the bit preceding that has me scratching my head though. 

Re; setting up your daw for scoring...If you’re using FL studio there's a plugin called Fruity Video Player 

I know some of you are using Reaper...check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2kuagzvCIc

Whatever your DAW though, there should be a way to import film clips. 
    Still over a month to go, but a quick reminder of the composition challenge. I've finally made a start on mine.

It's not a competition.
    Nearly done mine. The currently planned close date is 1st June.

Just a reminder that @poopot provided the video for this. How do people feel about continuing with it? I can extend the close date if there's still a will to do it.

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    Personally I haven’t done anything for this one, as the video aspect was a bit too deep.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    sorry, no chance of doing this one, also the vid wasn't really my thing, good luck all.
    edited May 2022
    It was surprisingly difficult to score to that footage so I scrapped my project. However, just so you have some competition @stratman3142i'll give it another go. A deadline extension would be good as i'm off on holiday soon.  
    It was surprisingly difficult to score to that footage so I scrapped my project. However, just so you have some competition @stratman3142; i'll give it another go. A deadline extension would be good as i'm off on an extended holiday soon.  

OK. How long do you think you need?

It's not a competition.
    edited May 2022
    Hmm scrap that actually - I should be able to get it done before the 1st
    Hmm scrap that actually - I should be able to get it done before the 1st
    OK, let me know if anything changes.

It's not a competition.
    Done mine.

Below is the video with my added sound effects and music . I called it 'Screech' because I made loads of screeching noises by scraping my pick on my guitar strings.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    Good stuff @stratman3142 . The limit of my ideas was to use some sampled car noises of engines and tyres using the Playstation 'Gran Turismo' game, and a dialogue line about 'we need to get these pizzas delivered or one of us gets fired'.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I had briefly considered a joke entry but thought better. 

The scene with the driving was screaming out for the opening audio from Alan Partridge Alpha Papa with Roachford playing and him saying  "your fog lamps are on - there's no fog"
    edited May 2022
    Ok I have something done but i'm off on holiday soon so will only have a chance to mix via levels + a bit of master bus compression only rather than the full shebang. 

EDIT: Uploaded to YT

edited May 2022
    That's 2 entries so far. Any other takers?

Entry officially closes midnight 1st June 2022. But shout if anyone might be able to submit an entry if I allow an extension to the deadline.

Have a good holiday @Springywheel ;;;

It's not a competition.
    edited May 2022
    Cheers Stratman. Hope we get more entrants.... @Bezzer would kill this (if he fancies giving it a go..no pressure )
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Sorry chaps I’m just not going to have any time I’m afraid. I had wanted to give it a go but just is t going to happen.
    … I’m might get something done. I had a go tonight because I was stressed. Give me a couple of extra days and I’ll see if I can finish it.
    Bezzer said:
    … I’m might get something done. I had a go tonight because I was stressed. Give me a couple of extra days and I’ll see if I can finish it.
    OK. I'll extended the deadline. How long do you need so you don't have to rush?
    It's not a competition.
    Sunday? Honestly if it’s not done by then it won’t be. Hopefully be a little earlier though.

almost certainly still be shit though ha ha