Lakewood M32CP

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    A 1994 Lakewood M18 ( spruce/ovangkol )has just popped up on the GuitarGuitar website. Looks to be in lovely condition and priced at £899. Those early Lakewoods are lovely, having a satin, quite Lowdenesque, finish rather than gloss. I remember the shop where I got my A32 at around that time, had an M18 in as well. I was a great sounding guitar, but I went for the 12 fret, wider fingerboard option. Could be a nice guitar for someone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited March 2022
    Tannin said:
    Cheers @Dave_Mc ;;

Pyramid Western  Folk: https://www.stringsbymail.com/pyramid-acoustic-guitar-strings-western-folk-round-core-light-12-54-6960.html $13.95 (US) at Strings by Mail

Pyramid Western Folk (hand-polished) https://www.stringsbymail.com/pyramid-acoustic-guitar-strings-hand-polished-light-12-54-18214.html $16.99 (US) at the same place. 

Not only are the names confusing, ever the packets are identical except for a little "hand-polished" sticker added to the latter.

The silver ones might be these: https://www.stringsbymail.com/pyramid-307-silver-plated-acoustic-guitar-strings-12-52-6964.html I haven't tried them yet. But I will!

Thomann don't offer shipping to my neck of the woods. Probably I could email then - after all, all they have to do with a set of strings is take it to the same post office they take all their other stuff to - but I can't be bothered,  I just order from companies who are more interested in my business. Maybe one day if there is something I can't get anywhere else.

Thanks!

Yeah Pyramid seem to do that with quite a few strings (very similar packaging for different sets), it's sometimes quite hard to see what the difference is!

I think those silver ones you listed are the same as the ones I've tried, except for the gauge. It's a pity Thomann doesn't ship to you, they have really good prices on some of the Pyramid strings...
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    edited March 2022
    Ulli Bögershausen has a signature Lakewood I think,  sounds plenty nice enough to my mind...

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    I had an M14CP, as I remember it had very build quality but the neck profile was a bit wide/flat/thin and it was a very modern sounding instrument, if you like those attributes I'm sure you will be pleased
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 70
    tomajoha said:
    I had an M14CP, as I remember it had very build quality but the neck profile was a bit wide/flat/thin and it was a very modern sounding instrument, if you like those attributes I'm sure you will be pleased
    Thanks for your reply. The one I'm looking at has a 44mm nut rather than the standard 46mm so may not be as yours. I'm looking forward to being able hearing it with decent strings.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    Shadow said:
    tomajoha said:
    Thanks for your reply. The one I'm looking at has a 44mm nut rather than the standard 46mm so may not be as yours. I'm looking forward to being able hearing it with decent strings.
    I think that would have made the difference for me - the nut width just felt too wide on this, approaching classical width...
    Well I spoke to the owner last week and, as @TheMadMick suggested earlier in the thread, the strings are Monels. I've never used them myself but a quick Google shows that they might soften the sound which was maybe what I heard in the somewhat muted bass. The guitar has been restrung with EJ16s and I'm going up tomorrow to give it another test drive.  
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    What was the outcome of restringing it?
    It has a much better balance across the strings, very sweet tone. I decided to buy it, the idea being to compare it to my Sitka/rosewood Eastman E8OM-TC and keep the one I prefer. I was expecting to prefer the Lakewood, but although it sounds lovely for low tempo fingerstyle pieces, it seems to struggle for volume on anything at a higher tempo. The Eastman is much better in that respect, fuller, louder tone. I might try some different strings (any suggestions?) but at the moment I think I'll be moving the Lakewood on. For the price I paid I don't think I'll have any trouble getting my money back.

Just goes to show that price isn't everything. The Eastman retails at half the price of the Lakewood. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    Shadow said:
    It has a much better balance across the strings, very sweet tone. I decided to buy it, the idea being to compare it to my Sitka/rosewood Eastman E8OM-TC and keep the one I prefer. I was expecting to prefer the Lakewood, but although it sounds lovely for low tempo fingerstyle pieces, it seems to struggle for volume on anything at a higher tempo. The Eastman is much better in that respect, fuller, louder tone. I might try some different strings (any suggestions?) but at the moment I think I'll be moving the Lakewood on. For the price I paid I don't think I'll have any trouble getting my money back.

Just goes to show that price isn't everything. The Eastman retails at half the price of the Lakewood. 

You might like to get someone else to listen to it as you play. What we hear is often not what an observer hears.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Mellish said:
    I recall Country Gold. I may even have bought some. I don't recall who turned them out... I've checked my notes and I *did* buy some but no comments or rating. 
    I want to say Optima brand but may be wildly wrong  
    @Mellish - I remember the Country Gold strings very well - made by Rotosound, the USP was the "piano wind" that meant there was no winding where the string passed over the bridge.  This had the effect of very slightly lowering the action, by the thickness of the winding wrap.

They're still available, although now known as "Tru Bronze" and "Super Bronze".

I used to like them on my Tanglewood Ovation-alike, though I haven't played it in years...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Nitefly ; that's it mate, you've jogged my memory. Cheers :+1:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Shadow said:

You might like to get someone else to listen to it as you play. What we hear is often not what an observer hears.
    Well I took your advice and got a friend round to compare the Lakewood and Eastman. From the listener's perspective the former is a lovely sounding guitar. There was very little to choose between the two guitars, and as the vast majority of my playing is for myself, I decided to keep the Eastman. The good news is that my friend liked the Lakewood enough to buy it from me for what i paid. He plays live and has a Taylor 414CE. He thought the Lakewood's electronics were far better than the Taylor. An interesting experiment which cost me zero pounds  :3
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    ^ All's well that ends well!  =)