I play better when I'm drunk

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    ^ Never heard of any of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    At the risk of being boring, the science behind all this is clear.

A small amount of alcohol can reduce performance related anxiety. Depending on where you sit on the Yerkes-Dodson curve  at the time that might be a good thing. It also might not.

Alcohol reduces coordination and relfexes which will impair your ability to play accurately. Disinhibition caused by alcohol will make you overestimate your ability and leads to bad decision making.

There's a huge amount of scientific date on all this if you look up driving and alcohol studies. While there aren't specific studies, it's perfectly reasonable to assume it's the same with guitar as it's the same physiological processes involved.

You might get away with it to a certain extent, particularly if you're playing easy stuff. To make it more complicated, disinhibited behaviour can arguably appear cool if you're Keith Moon but not if you're Kill 'Em All era Dave Mustaine. And we all know the perils of long term alcohol/drug use in musicians with a huge list of those lost to it - that usually starts of innocently and increases insidiously.

Of course, you can also get away with it much more if your audience are more drunk than you are but beware that mobile phone recordings put on social media do not have a "I was drunk" filter to replicate what they heard through their alcohol befuddled brain and will reveal the horrible reality.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    Tannin said:
    I play better when I'm drunk (probably).

It's Friday night here in Oz and after two or three rakias, I play brilliantly. Well, OK, not with the technical flair  I might display at 9AM on a Wednesday - I know better than to try and do hard stuff - but with a bluesy feel and a sense of musicality  that puts my usual playing to shame. (Maybe.)

Do I also sound better when you're drunk?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15928
    edited May 2022
    It's a bit like shaggin'....get the amount just right and it's as sweet as a nut
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15928
    get the amount wrong and it's over too soon or bang away til morning.......
    tae be or not tae be
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    A reporter asked Stan Getz why he played all of his gigs drunk. He replied "Because I practice drunk." 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Trying not to soung too po-faced, but ...

SRV thought that way at the start of his career and wrote a song about his error - Crossfire.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback