DON'T PANIC! COOKIES...

What's Hot

Comments

• I do seem to have the constant shield in the corner now.  thats new.
    It's meant to be reassuring ;)

Seriously, though, click it and you can change your cookie preferences at any time.

Now that the shield is gone, how would you manage cookies? @digitalscream

Every page now jumps to the blank "ad" at the top on my PC, but not my phone.
    At the moment, there's no realistic way to change your mind after you've made the selection. I'm going to keep working on it, to see if I can come up with a neat way to allow it only on certain pages (eg the profile page).
    OK, cool. It's a bit of a pain having to scroll back down to the last post I read to continue reading threads at home on the PC but I can live with it. Think I accidentally clicked reject all, was quite happy with the ads though so if there's a way back to stop the hoofing back up top I'll take it.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    I do seem to have the constant shield in the corner now.  thats new.
    It's meant to be reassuring

Seriously, though, click it and you can change your cookie preferences at any time.

At the moment, there's no realistic way to change your mind after you've made the selection. I'm going to keep working on it, to see if I can come up with a neat way to allow it only on certain pages (eg the profile page).
    OK, cool. It's a bit of a pain having to scroll back down to the last post I read to continue reading threads at home on the PC but I can live with it. Think I accidentally clicked reject all, was quite happy with the ads though so if there's a way back to stop the hoofing back up top I'll take it.
    OK, right now a workaround for that is to delete all the cookies for the site and log in again. If you're using Chrome, click the padlock next to the URL, then Cookies, and delete all the ones you see there.
    <space for hire>
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Is the manage preferences shield supposed to be invisible on linux?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    OK - how's that? It should've disappeared now (you may need to refresh).

(apologies for the delay, didn't fall asleep until 5am thanks to the plague)
    Ahh ok deliberate...did you know its still actually there though? Well clearly you do but that seems a bit sneaky., 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    OK - how's that? It should've disappeared now (you may need to refresh).

(apologies for the delay, didn't fall asleep until 5am thanks to the plague)
    Ahh ok deliberate...did you know its still actually there though? Well clearly you do but that seems a bit sneaky., 
    What's sneaky?

I had to remove it because it was preventing the site being used properly on mobile devices. I'm working on a way to reinstate it on certain pages (preferably the profile page). Sadly, I couldn't completely remove it, so I settled for shifting it off the bottom of the screen as a temporary measure.
    <space for hire>
  • I do seem to have the constant shield in the corner now.  thats new.
    It's meant to be reassuring

OK, right now a workaround for that is to delete all the cookies for the site and log in again. If you're using Chrome, click the padlock next to the URL, then Cookies, and delete all the ones you see there.

I'm usually on Firefox for general t'interwebzing, same thing worked and now all is well again. Cheers Lee :D @digitalscream ;
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I’m getting the Post Comment button coming up in red now when clicked. Is that a deliberate thing? (not complaining, just curious).  
    boogieman said:
    I’m getting the Post Comment button coming up in red now when clicked. Is that a deliberate thing? (not complaining, just curious).  
    Nope, that's...weird. Screenshot?
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2022
    @digitalscreamThat’s with me holding the post button down, but it does it every time it’s pressed. 
    Ohhhh. Yes, sorry - I should've twigged. It's always done that when pressed - all the purple buttons do that. However, I've updated the site CSS, which may have refreshed it in your cache (as well as fixing some CSS for certain devices, which could also have triggered it).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    On Chrome on my android mobile. Just grey banners top and bottom, no ads for days. Nothing happens if I click on the banners either. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    On Chrome on my android mobile. Just grey banners top and bottom, no ads for days. Nothing happens if I click on the banners either. 
    Yes, it's the ramp-up period - the ad fill rate isn't 100% yet. It'll take maybe a week or two to get there.
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Yes, it's the ramp-up period - the ad fill rate isn't 100% yet. It'll take maybe a week or two to get there.
    Ah, okay, probably explained somewhere and it passed me by. I guess it says something about how used to the ads I’ve become that it took me ages to realise they weren’t there anymore. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    It might just be me, but I'm guessing it's actually OneTrust or whoever the cookie code supplier is, but it would be nice if the bloody thing remembered I'd made my choices and didn't just ask me each time I come along, purely because I haven't selected "bend over and do me roughly, trackers" :)

Appreciate this is a common factor on all cookie consent things, but one of the strictly necessary cookies should really include the bit that says "This browser has already answered the question, so just because you don't like the answer, don't ask again you pushy bastards".
    Snags said:
    It might just be me, but I'm guessing it's actually OneTrust or whoever the cookie code supplier is, but it would be nice if the bloody thing remembered I'd made my choices and didn't just ask me each time I come along, purely because I haven't selected "bend over and do me roughly, trackers" :)

Appreciate this is a common factor on all cookie consent things, but one of the strictly necessary cookies should really include the bit that says "This browser has already answered the question, so just because you don't like the answer, don't ask again you pushy bastards".
    Interesting, I haven't seen that behaviour. Do you have an ad blocker installed at all?

It seems like that's the opposite of what @littlegreenman found - he rejected the cookies, and couldn't change his mind because it never asked him again.
    <space for hire>
    Snags said:

Interesting, I haven't seen that behaviour. Do you have an ad blocker installed at all?

It seems like that's the opposite of what @littlegreenman found - he rejected the cookies, and couldn't change his mind because it never asked him again.

Yeah, I've got Ghostery on this browser (mostly because of all the utter crap that the sites we have to use for work are loaded with) so it might be that being a bit over-aggressive. I'll whitelist tFB and see if that sorts it.

It's fine on the phone. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a cookie notice on the phone, or if I have it was a one-time jobbie and DuckDuckGo is honouring it.
    Purely for completeness in reporting, I've trusted the site in Ghostery, and on the first visit each day am still getting the Accept All/Reject All/Settings banner for Cookies, which remains after signing in (when I need to - sometimes it remembers me, sometimes it doesn't, not fussed about that, that's normal).

I have tried "Reject All" (in a fit of pique ;) ) and more generally the option to view details and then Save (ho ho) with just necessary cookies enabled. I haven't done an Accept All because, well, I haven't. Doesn't seem to make any difference, so now I'm just closing out the cookie banner with the X and not bothering.

FireFox 98.0.2 on W10P 20H2
    Browser cookie settings are Standard with no extra aggressive behaviours
    Site trusted in Ghostery

It's no biggie, just a point of interest.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You are one, just accept it.  There are a lot of interesting posts on here now I'm half sober.  Three identical Strangers.  I remember that even, some legacy from mengeles.  Germans picking a Jewish adoption agency with mental health mothers with identical twins or triplets, separated at birth to study for scientific reasons.  Anyway nature wins, that was the end game.  You are inherited.  Least my mate won't get stabbed by his grandson he has to care for, that's a bonus.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    UPDATE: This is not going well. Revenue's dropped by 50% (and is still falling), and I'm not getting any satisfactory answers as to why. Unfortunately, the agreement requires 30 days' notice for cancellation, so I'm gradually switching it back to AdSense.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom