NBD

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

I’ve been meaning to get a new bass for a while, mainly for recording.  I had a shorter scale Ibanez but sold it, as I wanted a Jazz bass.  But then I soent the funds elsewhere.

So thought I’d go for a cheaper stop gap and got one of these:-

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb1975_na.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrfCRBhAXEiwAnkmKmd24bAbe7zag_H8d-WQknXzgqZiIyuqaXpbf5QJxTjv9kvHu3XA0PxoCbNsQAvD_BwE

Got to say, I’m impressed.  Played perfect out of the box and sounds great.  No need to get anything else and this will be perfect when it’s played in a bit.
Only thing I may change is to do something to darken the anaemic white neck, it’s the standard non tinted satin you get on all cheap guitars. But other than that it’s perfect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Jolly well done ,it’s quite a looker from the picture on the site 
      Thomann really do turn out some terrific stuff 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    They are cracking basses. Mine is about to go to a fellow Fretboarder and I’ll be putting the funds towards an upgrade, but I’m going to have to pay a lot more to get a significantly better bass.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    Yeah well impressed.  Might try one of their guitars at some point.

They are cracking basses. Mine is about to go to a fellow Fretboarder and I’ll be putting the funds towards an upgrade, but I’m going to have to pay a lot more to get a significantly better bass.
    True, I’d say weight is probably something I’d pay more for if i was gigging or stood up with the bass, because it is quite heavy!

It’s not going to keep up with much more expensive guitars but it’s just nice to have something that I actually want to play for £139.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    Lots of people seem very impressed by them.

If the were a bit lighter I'd have one myself.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Yeah well impressed.  Might try one of their guitars at some point.

True, I’d say weight is probably something I’d pay more for if i was gigging or stood up with the bass, because it is quite heavy!

It’s not going to keep up with much more expensive guitars but it’s just nice to have something that I actually want to play for £139.
    They do a stunning strat and p bass in Matt black with a tort style pick guard that looks amazing 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    edited March 2022
    Nice! D 

I was going to ask how heavy it was, but I guess you already answered that. The weight's the big thing that has put me off, unfortunately :( 

If you swap the pickups, does it sound like custom shop Gibson Les Paul?
    Dave_Mc said:
    Nice! D 

I was going to ask how heavy it was, but I guess you already answered that. The weight's the big thing that has put me off, unfortunately :( 

10.5lbs.  To be fair some 70’s F bases were probably that anyway, but not something I’d want to gig with for 2 hours!
    10.5lb??? Strewth.

My J type is 6.5lb.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    10.5lb??? Strewth.

My J type is 6.5lb.
    But on the bright side it’s only £13.24 per pound  =)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    Dave_Mc said:
    Nice! D 

10.5lbs.  To be fair some 70’s F bases were probably that anyway, but not something I’d want to gig with for 2 hours!
    Yeah. I've got a Fret-King PJ which I guess is around that weight, and it's really nice apart from the weight, but I definitely notice I'm flagging after even 15-20 minutes playing!

It's a pity because at the price the HB is, if it weren't for the weight it'd probably be worth a punt- now I know that weight is kind of a problem for me.
    10.5lb??? Strewth.

My J type is 6.5lb.
    But on the bright side it’s only £13.24 per pound  =)

Hahahahahaha well played!  =)

I think most 70’s J style solid ash bases would be pretty heavy.  I would imagine some genuine 70's ones would be weight prohibitive.  The body is hard ash I think, but HB do some Alder ones that are supposed to be lighter, but they look like PJ's rather than J's.

If I ever get round to gigging on bass I'd get something lighter, or one of these!

I think most 70’s J style solid ash bases would be pretty heavy.  I would imagine some genuine 70's ones would be weight prohibitive.  The body is hard ash I think, but HB do some Alder ones that are supposed to be lighter, but they look like PJ's rather than J's.

If I ever get round to gigging on bass I'd get something lighter, or one of these!

I've got one of those stands. I used it for a while when I was recovering from surgery. Was a bit wobbly, but good enough.

The lightest full scale basses around are the Sandberg Superlight series if you end up needing one.