Sledgehammer

What's Hot
Just heard Sledgehammer on the radio and it still sounds fantastic 35+ years on. It got me thinking about what makes it timeless?

I've just read this article which offers up some reasons perhaps:

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/peter-gabriel/sledgehammer

So, what other tracks/songs do you think might be classed as timeless and why?

Stu
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    That whole album sounds incredible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited March 2022
    It sounds epic on a great system, the product of many talented people working together. Plus, pop music that is still objectively great music is rare over the last 2 decades.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-peter-gabriel-sledgehammer

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Gabriel at his best, with his talent being drawn out by Daniel Lanois* also operating at his peak. Beautiful record, this.

*there's a good chapter on the production of this album in Lanois' "Soul Mining" book.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 843
    I remember hearing this on the radio and being totally shocked as I'd been neck deep in Gabriel 4 at the time which is a lot darker sounding and then here he was suddenly doing pop? Great single and a terrific album.
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    It's an interesting idea but I think if you've find the answer to the question, what makes a hit? you've probably won the Lottery.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    I heard Sledgehammer a few weeks ago on an old CD compilation, and also thought to myself what a great song it was. It pulls you in slowly.  It's not a song I'd really choose to play, but when I play it then I'm really glad that I did.