Recording jams and band practises

I'm looking for a device that will record our band practises and jam sessions, without having to carry a computer about. Examples like the Zoom H2N look good, but, as I'm out of the loop, as it were, just wondered if anyone knows a decent device that's avaliable? I want to be able to capture recordings (mp3 format probably) then be able to put them onto my computer at home to e-mail them off to band mates.

Any ideas please, up to £100 mark, second hand or new?

Cheers

Al

Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited September 2013
    Probably not what you're looking for, but we do quite well with my Panasonic HDC-TM15 camera - the mic is astonishingly good at picking everything up without clipping (although it does compress stuff quite a bit). The only slight issue is the lack of bass - it's there, just not particularly loud, so you can correct it with EQ. I think I picked it up for about £100 of eBay.
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    edited September 2013
    How about a Zoom Q3HD for a bit more ?  Circa £150 s/h.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • We use the older version of the Zoom H2 to record the odd gig and we're happy with it. It gives us a good enough recording so that we can hear how well new songs are working out, what our live mix sounds like etc.
    We usually set it some distance away from us so we don't overload it and get a boomy, distorted recording, but you can adjust the recording levels anyway so I imagine you can still get a decent recording in a smaller room (e.g. rehearsal room)

It's easy enough to divide the recording into separate mp3s afterwards and store them on your PC for emailing etc, although I must admit I usually load it onto my PC as one long file and edit it down with software I use for work.

• My previous band used a Line6 Backtrack, and I'll be honest...it was pretty crap. Very bass-heavy and boomy, without much clarity - certainly not clear enough for working stuff out by ear after the fact.
    <space for hire>
  • I got a Yamaha Pocketrax W24 second hand for about the sort of money you're talking about.  It's served me well for many a rehearsal.

• We use a Zoom H1.  It is cheap, easy to use, and it works.  It has decent battery life unlike the camera versions, which is a big plus for me as it means we have more choice over placement.

Using just a single mic/location is always going to be a compromise but I think the Zoom does ok, and it seems to handle us in a small room and we're loud.
  • Sounds good Guitarfishbay. We only use a small rehearsal space and we are often (too bloody) loud! 
  • +1 on the Zoom. I have an H2 and it does a fine job.
  • I use a Tascam DR-2D for live recordings.
    Records 24 bit wav up to 96k,, or mp3.
    It will also take a line signal from the desk,and the in built mics capture the live sound, so you can then mix the two together.

The mics are pretty decent too once you get the settings and placement right,and i've had some good results.
    Battery-wise ,It'll do a whole gig of ours (around 3 hrs) easily on 2700ma rechargeables, with loads to spare.

Has a small speaker on the back,and though not hugely loud, is great for reference, and also a remote, so you can pause etc, from a distance.
    Does overdub recording too ,and you can save individual overdubs.

Bought mine about 3 yrs ago and paid about 180, so i'd imagine you'd be able to get one relatively cheap on ebay.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    We use H2 at work. 
    They are very good (though one of ours broke)
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    Got a Zoom H1. Feels a bit plasticky and (ideally) needs a mini tripod to sit on, but very impressed with the quality of the recordings. 1 AA battery lasts ages; various mp3 or wav options and acts as a USB audio interface if you want it to. It will also stand being placed next to a speaker for close mic-ing at moderate volumes.

About £80 new.
  • Yeah, the Zoom H1 is definitely the one I'm looking for. Been watching the bids on crapbay. They're going for stoopid prices - £65 + £5.95 delivery or thereabouts. For £79 brand new with free delivery, it's a no brainer!
  • It is worth getting the accessories pack for the H1 IMO.  When I bought mine GAK had the best price, about £22 IIRC.

Comes with all the stuff it should really come with as standard IMO!

Copy paste from a seller about the accessories pack - 

Included in the bundle are the following items:

1.Carry Case
    A hard, double zipped case with a wrist strap perfectly shaped to house a H1 recorder.

2.Pistol Grip
    This allows you to get a better grip on the recorder.  The pistol grip handle screws into the base of the recorder via ¼” screw.

3. Mini Tripod
    By screwing the recorder onto the mini tripod, you can aim it a sound source without picking up any handling noise.

4. Wind Shield
    This foam shield can be placed over the on-board mics in order to reduce noise caused by wind blowing across the them.

5. Usb Cable
    This allows you to connect to the computer to use the H1 as a USB mic

6. UK Plug adaptor
    In conjunction with the USB cable, the plug adaptor allows you to run the device on mains power.

• MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    I meant to say before: The built in speaker on the H1 is pretty much worthless - if you want to quickly check recordings, some headphones are handy.

I use a leather tobacco pouch as a carrying case for mine - It's got room for the mini tripod, ear-bud type headphones and a spare battery, too :)

• Should be able to plug into mixer at practices when we want to hear it back, and I'll be putting files onto my computer to listen to them anyway. Good tip for the carrying case!