Speaker Recommendations, sensitivity and size

What's Hot
ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
In a Princeton reverb, would a 97db neo creamback 12" be as punchy and loud as a 100db ragin Cajun 10" just because of the size difference or will there be a noticeable drop in volume and punch even though the speaker size is bigger?

Would a 12 also sound boxy in a Princeton size enclosure? 
https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The only other 12" 8ohm speaker I have around is a Jensen c12 k from a deluxe reverb. 

Has anyone tried one of these in a 68C princeton?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    In a Princeton reverb, would a 97db neo creamback 12" be as punchy and loud as a 100db ragin Cajun 10" just because of the size difference or will there be a noticeable drop in volume and punch even though the speaker size is bigger?
    It will probably be about the same because Eminence's ratings are a bit less conservative than Celestion's, by a couple of dB or so - there may be a small difference, but I wouldn't expect much. The Eminence may have more punch, the Celestion will probably have a slightly more open sound, but not having compared them directly I couldn't say for sure.

Would a 12 also sound boxy in a Princeton size enclosure? 
    They don't seem too bad, even though it's a pretty small box for a 12". The limited edition one that came with a Celestion Blue sounded fine, and it did with a Jensen Tornado too.

The only other 12" 8ohm speaker I have around is a Jensen c12 k from a deluxe reverb. 

Has anyone tried one of these in a 68C princeton?
    Probably a bit too stiff and dark for a Princeton, but again I haven't tried it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @ICBM again for great info as always 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I had a Blackface Princeton Reverb with a 12" speaker and it sounded good.  I was using a Weber Silver Bell Ceramic and it had a great sound, excellent cleans and drove really well with pedals.
  • Anyone got any recommendations for fairly light but punchy and loud-ish 10" speakers? 

Looking to put something better in a 68 vibrolux, currently swapped in some ragin cajuns (which sound great) but they are HEAVY compared to the cheapo stock ten30s.

Is this the price that needs to be paid for tone? Or is there a happy comprise?

• Anyone got any recommendations for fairly light but punchy and loud-ish 10" speakers? 
    The WGS g10c is definitely punchy and loud-ish, very big sound for a 10". Weighs 3.18kg apparently, not sure how that compares to the Rajin Cajun.

Or how about the Eminence 1028k? 1.3kg apparently. Full disclosure: I haven't tried this speaker. However I always come across people recommending it for fender amps and it's one I really want to try.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I've got a WGS G10C in my reissue PR (yes I know it's a "new amp...), and it sounds great.

Very punchy and is smoother than the stock speaker.

Does add some weight though.
  • daveyb27daveyb27 Frets: 9
    I know it’s heavy but I put in a 10” Celestion Alnico Gold in my 65 PRRI and it totally transformed it. So much louder than the stock Jenson and didn’t flub out at all at gig volumes - can’t recommend it enough! 
  • jpfamps said:
    I've got a WGS G10C in my reissue PR (yes I know it's a "new amp...), and it sounds great.

Very punchy and is smoother than the stock speaker.

Does add some weight though.
    Mines the 68 reissue, I've bypassed the resistor on the bass pot so its not as overly woofy and sounds balanced with a ragin cajun. 

Ideally i'd get a 12 that weighs the same or maybe even less, hence the thought of the creamback neo but the WGS stuff looks great a reasonably priced which is a surprise 

• pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 270
    The Eminence ga10-sc64 is light and reasonably efficient. It gets a lot of praise online. I found it nicely balanced tonally that retains the American speaker flavour.

I found similar speakers with large magnet like the Weber 10f150t were much louder but increased low mids more than I liked. If you're after punchy that might be what you're after.

British style speakers like the Celestion gold 10 or Emi Ramrod changed the flavour too much for me too.

Emi 1028 is great but from memory more scooped and perhaps not quite as efficient as the GA10. Still good but I thought it would be better in a tweed style amp or in amps with multiple speakers. 

Someone was selling a 1058 in the classified section recently. I haven't tried one but might be worth investigating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    edited May 2022
    So a little update on this..

I now have the tasty combo of ramrod + ragin Cajun in my vibrolux and it sounds massive! Weighs a tonne but I'll just have to deal with it, sounds scary close to an old super reverb I played through at a gig a while ago from memory. 

Now I need to find the perfect speaker for my Princeton... 

Currently got a neo creamback in there and it's great but I wish it was a tiny bit brighter, as some of you know these 68 reissues don't really need any help in terms of bass and are quite full in the mids so I'm not sure if the creamback is the best fit as it's accentuating low, low mids and mid mids - any recommendations on pretty efficient 12" speakers that are:

A ) a suitable wattage for a Princeton
    B ) reasonably bright sounding but also tight in the low end
    C ) not too heavy.

I'm thinking something alnico? But not really sure...

C ) not too heavy.

Jensen P12N (with no bell if you want to keep the weight down) or C12Q. I'm fairly sure the sensitivity figure for the C12Q on the Jensen website is wrong, by the way - they're nowhere near as quiet as that would indicate.

One of the Jensen Tornados would also be good - probably the 80W one, or maybe the new 'Vintage' one which Fender use in the Tonemasters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    So a little update on this..

I now have the tasty combo of ramrod + ragin Cajun in my vibrolux and it sounds massive! Weighs a tonne but I'll just have to deal with it, sounds scary close to an old super reverb I played through at a gig a while ago from memory. 

Now I need to find the perfect speaker for my Princeton... 

Currently got a neo creamback in there and it's great but I wish it was a tiny bit brighter, as some of you know these 68 reissues don't really need any help in terms of bass and are quite full in the mids so I'm not sure if the creamback is the best fit as it's accentuating low, low mids and mid mids - any recommendations on pretty efficient 12" speakers that are:

C ) not too heavy.

Weber blue pup 10" could do nicely for this. Takes a while to break in though. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 270
    Emi ga sc64 - the 12 inch version works well in a Deluxe Reverb. Fendery sounding but a bit smoother than most Jensen style speakers. Fairly sensitive too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    C ) not too heavy.

Jensen P12N (with no bell if you want to keep the weight down) or C12Q. I'm fairly sure the sensitivity figure for the C12Q on the Jensen website is wrong, by the way - they're nowhere near as quiet as that would indicate.

One of the Jensen Tornados would also be good - probably the 80W one, or maybe the new 'Vintage' one which Fender use in the Tonemasters.
    I do have one of the Jensen neos out of a tonemaster currently in my two rock (definitely preferred that amp with the creamback) so a simple swap of those might be a good idea.

Only thing that put me off is the Jensen neo I have is the 100w...

Only thing that put me off is the Jensen neo I have is the 100w...
    Why?

As long as the rating is higher than the maximum output of the amp it's fine.

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    Maybe the newish Jensen Blackbird 40 is a nice contender. It seems to be a P12Q with a reinforced magnet. The few reviews are pretty stellar. Would love to try one in a Tweed Deluxe style amp and can imagine it will sound great in a Princeton Reverb too.

Otherwise, definitely the Eminence GA SC-64.
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    A difference of 3db can make an amp sound louder or quieter. I would stick with what you have.
    Emiel said:
    Maybe the newish Jensen Blackbird 40 is a nice contender. It seems to be a P12Q with a reinforced magnet. The few reviews are pretty stellar. Would love to try one in a Tweed Deluxe style amp and can imagine it will sound great in a Princeton Reverb too.

Otherwise, definitely the Eminence GA SC-64.
    The GA looks perfect on paper, I'll have to wait til one comes up 2nd hand and I'll have a go on it. Looks nice and bright but also super efficient which is perfect for the Princeton 

PAL said:
    A difference of 3db can make an amp sound louder or quieter. I would stick with what you have.
    Yeah out of the options (Creamback neo 97db or Jensen Neo 99db) I'm thinking the 12w Princeton could benefit from the slightly more sensitive Jensen to give it a volume boost in stage and the 22w two rock just sounds excellent with every speaker I've tried it with so no worries there, also they ship with a regular ceramic creamback 65 from the factory so I know it'll play nice