Taylor Big Baby too bright?

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 327
I rarely use my taylor bbt as I find it very bright sounding. I replaced the elixirs with some light earthwounds ( 11-52 I think).
Short of selling it is there anything I can do simply to darken/warm the tone? I'll probably refit elixirs anyway as I find the string noise of the earthbound very annoying.
It's a shame as I do enjoy a bit of acoustic playing as an alternative but I'm just not enjoying the tone as it is ( I've been using the acoustic simulator on my waza air rather than pick up the taylor)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    What bridge pin material are you using? If not ebony, try it with those :) 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited April 2022
    I think it of a bright /  zingy guitar  anyway  - could try some different strings (again !!) and go up a gauge

Doesnt the EB describe Earthwounds as   "zingy/crisp" sounding strings?? .......... try some Thomastik  Spectrums 

Ive got some 12s you can have for a £7.50

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Silk & Steel? :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    11 sounds very light for that short a scale, we have 13s on the Taylor Mini.
    but I guess it is partly the consequence on its size
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    I really like the sound of Monel. It's not that it's less bright but I find the balance better - but it's a matter of taste.

I'd agree that heavier strings should also help if the nut doesn't bind.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    Bridge pins are the originals but I'll get some ebony if you think that will help.
    Bertie- ta for the offer, I ordered the elixir strings about 20mins before you replied but I may still.ttake you up on that.
    Suppose my other option is to sell it on and get something that's fits the bill 
    sev112 said:
    11 sounds very light for that short a scale, we have 13s on the Taylor Mini.
    but I guess it is partly the consequence on its size
    scale is 25.5", body is 14/16th size though which, on top of Talyors reputation for brightness (according to various reviews etc) is probably contributing to the zing as well.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    My Taylor 310 was vastly improved (deeper, less bright) when I swapped the Elixirs for D’Addario EXPs. Monel is definitely worth a try - they suit some guitars better than others but you can’t really say in advance.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    A couple of things short of selling it:

* Change your pick to a softer one

* Strings. Monel, flatwounds, silk and steel, brass played past its short extra-bright stage and into its long-lasting mellow stage.

* String gauge: lighter strings (11s) have just as much twang as standard strings (12s, called "light" by this stupid industry) but less body, so they seem brighter. Heavy strings (13s, called "medium", which they ain't) can "strangle" a small guitar, compressing the tonal range on offer and reducing volume. On a big guitar they can add volume and improve tone. It's all about matching the input energy of the string to the ability of the top to vibrate. 

(PS: Earthwoods have the roughest finish of any guitar string I have ever used, but excellent tone. They are a bugger for string noise. Elixirs have the least string noise of anything outside the flatwound world but slightly odd tone that not everybody likes.) 
    Tannin said:
    A couple of things short of selling it:

* Change your pick to a softer one

* Strings. Monel, flatwounds, silk and steel, brass played past its short extra-bright stage and into its long-lasting mellow stage.

* String gauge: lighter strings (11s) have just as much twang as standard strings (12s, called "light" by this stupid industry) but less body, so they seem brighter. Heavy strings (13s, called "medium", which they ain't) can "strangle" a small guitar, compressing the tonal range on offer and reducing volume. On a big guitar they can add volume and improve tone. It's all about matching the input energy of the string to the ability of the top to vibrate. 

(PS: Earthwoods have the roughest finish of any guitar string I have ever used, but excellent tone. They are a bugger for string noise. Elixirs have the least string noise of anything outside the flatwound world but slightly odd tone that not everybody likes.) 
    I didn't mind the tone of the elixirs ( as I remember) really hence me ordering another set. And yeah the earthwounds sound like my fingers are Bastard Files scraping along them. Picks, I tend to use either my fingers for an odd hybrid finger strumming (I look demented I think) or a .88 pick, I usually use a 1 or 1.38 on the electric. I'll try the elxirs first, then ebony pins and as a last resort I'll sell the bugger and see what's about for sub £400  (can't justify more than that at the moment and ideally a lot less would be good)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3690
    I think that’s part of the Taylor sound. When I was looking at acoustics I described the Taylor sound as “bras(“ compared to the more laid back sounds of the other guitars I was comparing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    bertie said:
    I think it of a bright /  zingy guitar  anyway  - could try some different strings (again !!) and go up a gauge

Doesnt the EB describe Earthwounds as   "zingy/crisp" sounding strings?? .......... try some Thomastik  Spectrums 

If spev11 doesn’t want them, I’ll definitely have them off you. PM me if they’re still available please bertie.
    Evan said:
    bertie said:

If spev11 doesn’t want them, I’ll definitely have them off you. PM me if they’re still available please bertie.
    i'll step out seeing as i have the elixirs on the way :)
    spev11 said:
    Evan said:
    bertie said:

i'll step out seeing as i have the elixirs on the way :)
    OK -   now I best go find em.............................. =)
    edited April 2022
    bertie said:
    spev11 said:
    Evan said:
    bertie said:

i'll step out seeing as i have the elixirs on the way
    OK -   now I best go find em..............................
    Righto Bertie! Toodle pip!
    Assuming Wilf hasn't had 'em ;) 
    Mellish said:
    he uses em to cut cheese.....................................TBH,   he has all the traits of being a drummer
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    he uses em to cut cheese.....................................TBH,   he has all the traits of being a drummer
    Is that in the American sense or the British sense?
    I'll see what the Elixirs sound like, I'm loathe to sell it as its a 2001 model, in decent condition and apart from the tone issues I do like it. although I've played my brothers Yamaha APX600 and that sounded and played great.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited April 2022
    I tune down to c# standard with a set of 12s to get a warmer tone on my furch