Taylor Big Baby too bright?

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited April 2022
    I tune down to c# standard with a set of 12s to get a warmer tone on my furch 
    wow that is very loose,  even 1/2 a step makes a big difference   

If I did that on mine, with 12s it would rattle like hell
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    I prefer phosphor bronze over 80/20 for less zing, if that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    If 12s are too bright, 13s and tune down a half step? You'd have the tension of 12s but warmer tone, wouldn't you? I don't know, I've always used 12s at 440. I'm happy there. But I'd stick ebony pins in to try to tame it :) 
    Yes, the OP hasn't said if he's using PB or 80/20.PB are warmer for sure :) 
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 326
    Its currently got 80/20 earthwounds on it. I've got som elixir polyweb 80/20 12/53 gauge coming which elixir advertise as "warm" . I'll try them first and then start buggering about  =)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    edited April 2022
    I have a Big Baby, I'm not very experienced with acoustic sounds, I basically just need "an acoustic" that stays in tune and isn't too big. I'm not sure I'd say it's very bright though, perhaps "lacking in depth" is more how I'd describe it.

I don't use a pick though, I play with fingers (not nails!) so maybe that might be a help.

For reference, this is how mine sounds:

Father & Son (Cat Stevens cover) by thecolourbox (soundcloud.com)

Actually on laptop speakers I guess that is a bit bright, or at least lacking low frequencies
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited April 2022
    bertie said:
    wow that is very loose
    Not so much on a 25.5" scale length

Actually sometimes I will switch to 11s for a looser feel 
    I have a Big Baby, I'm not very experienced with acoustic sounds, I basically just need "an acoustic" that stays in tune and isn't too big. I'm not sure I'd say it's very bright though, perhaps "lacking in depth" is more how I'd describe it.

I don't use a pick though, I play with fingers (not nails!) so maybe that might be a help.

For reference, this is how mine sounds:

Father & Son (Cat Stevens cover) by thecolourbox (soundcloud.com)

Actually on laptop speakers I guess that is a bit bright, or at least lacking low frequencies
    Sounds great to me there. I've just been strumming it, comparing different picks (.88s, 1 and 1.38) and using fingers+thumb and all the pics make it much brighter, thumb and fingers get the bass back in.
    It's also largely a question of confidence and skill. I approach it thinking its gonna sound bright,thin and a bit crap so it does. Need to knuckle down and work at it a bit harder maybe. Will see what the string change does (i'll give it a good clean same time)
    bertie said:
    wow that is very loose
    Not so much on a 25.5" scale length

Actually sometimes I will switch to 11s for a looser feel 
    mines 25.5  and its noticeably looser on 1/2 step, whole step would be dreadful  - I guess your action/relief must be a lot different  - and  11s are getting to the limit @ 440    =)
    edited April 2022
    New string have arrived and are on, will give it a couple of weeks to settle in and see how it goes. Oddly the poly webs are still quite noisy, not as bad as the earth wounds though. I can see a future of me ordering strings endlessly in a futile attempt to eliminate something that’s just going to happen regardless =)
    @spev11 ; - oh it's easy to get drawn in, ordering and ordering. Strings, bridge pins, a heap of picks the height of Everest... :) 
    Mellish said:
    @spev11 ; - oh it's easy to get drawn in, ordering and ordering. Strings, bridge pins, a heap of picks the height of Everest... :) 
    nothing new for me  =) I went through it with amps for the electric. The eternal search, my wife looks at me with pity most of the time
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    To cut a long story short... (all these in my opinion/experience)

Taylors are just bright, that's their sound - compared to something like a Martin or Gibson.

Don't bother changing bridge pins, it will make no detectable difference. (Other than brass, which will increase brightness or at least upper mids.)

String gauges don't really change the base tone, more the 'thickness' of the sound.

Elixirs might help a bit, but I don't really think they're less bright than other strings, just a bit lifeless. I don't like them personally.

Monels might be worth a try.

*Old* strings will help - that's the exact opposite of what Elixirs do. Get some 80/20 bronzes and leave them on past the normal 'good' period, as Tannin said - they'll mellow out nicely and then last ages. At least twice, I've bought a guitar I loved the mellow sound of, then struggled to ever get that sound back once I'd replaced the dead old strings with new ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I quite like the tone of the polywebs to be fair but they do feel a bit funny under the fingers (more so than the nanowebs if my memory serves). I think there's a degree of "getting over myself" to be had here as well.

I may try some Monels and leave them on. I also have a super budget Hudson bowlback with some unknown strings that havent been changed in 8 years at work (cost £59 as it had a dented headstock), that sounds quite good all things considered.

I'll keep playing it for a while and if after a month or two i'm still not enjoying it then it'll go up for sale and i'll see what I can find to replace it (it doesn't help visiting my brother and playing his APX600 which is really quite good) 

thank you all for your advice, once again the fretboard serves as a font of wisdom
    Decided the polywebs were not for me, actually seemed noisier than the earthwounds, and yes a little dead sounding. So I fitted some Martin Retro Monels 12-54 and so far they are much better, no noisier than the polywebs (possibly quieter even). And a bit less treble so I'm a happy Taylor owner again.
    ta
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mellish said:
    Silk & Steel? :) 
    was that the David McCallum/Jo Lumley low budget sequel 
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    Silk & Steel? :) 
    was that the David McCallum/Jo Lumley low budget sequel 
    nah its a Five Star album innit?
    @spev11 ; - some strings for you to try: D'Addario EJ16, DR Sunbeams DR Rare, DR Veritas, Pyramid Western Folk, La Bella... 

Elixir Polyweb have a thicker coating than Nanoweb, which may explain your "dead" comment :) 
    Could be, I was really expecting them to be quieter though
    @spev11 ; - oh I forgot, you're after quieter strings. Sorry mate :)