David McKee

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
edited April 2022 in Tributes
David McKee, the author and illustrator of Mr Benn and King Rollo, has died aged 87.

I didn't know much about his subsequent career - it looks like he wrote around 50 books - but as kids my brothers and I absolutely loved Mr Benn, along with many of the other programmes shown in that "Watch with Mother" time slot in the 1970s.  

We also had one of McKee's early books, The Poor Farmer and the Robber Knights (written with German author Walter Kreye, I've just learned), and I was fascinated by the way he combined the illustrations with the text and used a very odd sense of perspective, almost like those strange flattened maps of the world.

Sorry to hear he's gone.  RIP.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    He also did the Elmer books which were popular with my kids. I loved Mr Benn and had occasional online chats with the chap who manages the Mr Benn twitter profile (it’s a thing…) when I rewatched some of the episodes during lockdown. Most popular animated series on Britbix apparently, not bad for a 50 year old programme. Festive Road was based in Festing Road in Putney where David lived and there is a Mr Benn paving stone there. 
    I don’t know much about his personal life but he bought a lot of joy to an lot of people. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    Loved mr benn too !  rip mr mckee ... i also liked the music written by duncan lamont a while back it was all arranged for big band i have the cd ... it featured the great kenny wheeler .. all the incidental pieces are here ....

As if by magic ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I loved Mr Benn as a kid. Not a lot of content compared to modern kids programmes but it did have a bit of magic.

The Elmer books were wonderful. I really enjoyed reading them to my kids. 

RIP David McKee
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    I loved Mr Benn
    and the music for it 
    I was thinking of opening one of those shops
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    My grandsons love the Elmer books, very gentle humour and a little bit wacky. I think(?) Johnny Morris did the voiceover for the animated series, so that’s another win. 
    RIP. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited April 2022
    narrated by Ray Brooks ?   he used to drink in my old local in Brizzle (opposite St Mary Redcliffe) when he was filming a series there (he played the manager of a carpet shop ??!) and stayed in the hotel over the road.  -   around 90/91.  He was a really really nice guy,  bought me  a pint for my birthday  

Loved Mr Benn,  absolutely iconic.............52 Festive Road ??    always remember the dinosaur one
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.