Covered P bass pickup recomendation.

fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24165

I'm looking at changing the pickup on my shortscale P bass. 

The existing pickup has very high poles and as I like to use the pickup top as a ramp that doesn't really work.

In most basses I stick EMGs in but I'd like to keep this bass passive.

Can anyone recommend a good covered P bass pickup, or at least one with visible poles that are flush with the plastic? I can stick a bit of tape over it if the poles are flush.

Not looking to spend loads, the bass was under £150 so I don't want to put £150 pickup in it!

Any ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    EMG PHZ passive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    DiMarzio DP146 Will Power or, better still, the new DP296 Relentless.

The latter is actually curved across its top to serve as ramp.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24165
    DiMarzio DP146 Will Power or, better still, the new DP296 Relentless.

The latter is actually curved across its top to serve as ramp.
    Those both fail the money test. the bass is really cheap.

The basschat guys suggest either an Alegree (flush poles) or a Warman (flat plastic) and they are £20 or under.

However - this is me, so there's a very good chance I'll end up drinking too much over the weekend and order an Aguilar DCB which is more expensive than the bass was! (And some Ultralites while I'm at it).
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Can you not just change the pickup covers on the existing pickup to some without polepiece holes?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Are those the Rothko And Frost ones? 

The reason I ask is because I have a pair languishing in a resealable plastic bag. The reason why the covers are bagged is because they don't fit over the fibreboard plates of most passive P Bass pickups. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited April 2022
    Are those the Rothko And Frost ones? 

The reason I ask is because I have a pair languishing in a resealable plastic bag. The reason why the covers are bagged is because they don't fit over the fibreboard plates of most passive P Bass pickups. 

I've no idea what make those ones I linked to are (as I said, just the first that came up in a web search) but now you come to mention it ....

I also have a pair stashed away somewhere. I was going to use them on my Squier P/J which I bought a replacement Tonerider P-bass pickup for. I'd totally forgotten (it was years ago) but I think I had the same problem as you - the plain covers didn't fit over the pickup.

I'm not sure what make the ones I bought were - just some cheapies from somewhere online.