NSD....Again

What's Hot
paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
edited April 2022 in Other Instruments
So -I got rid of my Hydrasynth.....  I wasnt massively impressed with the wavetable aspect.  The VA side (in fact subtractive using any static wave) is great...... But I have real analogues for that really.

The main driver for the HS was the Poly AT keybed... I didnt like it.   The Poly AT itself is great, but the FEEL of the physical keys felt cheap.  Light, sharp edges (rough undersides) - a little clacky in operation.  

Then upsteps Waldorf.... The keyboard version of Iridium (which Ive though about a couple of times in desktop form) with a Fatar Poly AT keybed.   wow - just Wow.   It knocks spots of the HS in every way, with the possible exception of pure VA....possibly. - and the arpeggiator (Hydrasynths is a work of art), though Iridium does have a 16 step sequencer as well with modulation lanes, so that more than makes up for it.    

slots nicely in the Gap the HS left.

https://i.imgur.com/nsKuNcd.jpg
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OH - It seems there more than 1 new thing come in since I last posted..... (which was the OB6)....   I added a Prophet 6 to it...  My Deep Mind 12d will be for sale - currently out on loan.

https://i.imgur.com/DZgrG5v.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice setup!

What do you think of the Fantom? I like the Roland sounds but use ableton quite a bit so not sure if I need the workstation aspects of Fantom.

I’d also been tempted by the Waldorf…
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like my fantom - but a lot of that is its live functions.

The zones mean I can easily instigate external modules (I use the legend, Peak and virus live) along with Fantoms internal sounds.   The roland analogue classic flavours are there - and the sound design in zencore offers things nothing else can.

Specifically, the way it used 4 Oscillators, that can each be VA, supersaw or PCM.  Each Oscillator has its own signal path though filter, amp, LFOs and yo can mix and match the oscillator types.   Of course you can emulate traditional synths running though a single lane - but the ability to treat each Oscillator separately opens up quite a lot. 

I dont ruse the sequencer, or drum stuff ( I use Studio One if I record, and the Pyramid for hardware sequencing - along with the TR8s for drum sounds - if not always for the patterns).  Nor do I use the sampler in the Fantom.  I do tend to use it as a rompler and a synth rather than a workstation.    The New Fantom 0 series does have some compromises, but its a lot of synth for its price.

The Iridium is - special.   LVOELKY Poly Aftertouch keybed - way nicer than the Hydrasynths from a feel perspective - though the actual function is pretty similar.    iridium is where I use samples, and the FM and wavetable engines are both great.   Even the resonator....  which I tend to use to add an attack to a sound when needed, but can also make some ethereal sounds on its own.    Again the ability to mix the different engine in a single sound dis great.     the fact the waveform has several "oscilators" in one - that you can select, spread, and detune means you can get a traditional 2 or Osc detuned sound using just ONE of Iridiums 3 per tone.  The step sequencer is really easy to use as well.

My 2p..... Fantom is better live, Iridium is the better studio piece AS A SYNTH.  Obviously the Iridium doesnt do the Pianos, Tone wheel organ, or PCM based orchestras sounds - out of the box at least.   you could always do that with its sample engine if you can get the samples waveforms you need.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for writing all that up @paulmapp8306 interesting to hear your thoughts.

I'm not doing much live stuff, so Iridium might be better for me. Perhaps if I sell some other gear I get the Iridium and the Fantom 0.

Do you know if you can get the four oscillator thing you describe above from the software zencore stuff on Roland cloud, or do you need the hardware? I need to read up a bit more on the software - hardware stuff Roland is doing, it's a bit confusing
  • Did a bit of reading this morning and answered my own question on Roland.

I can get the zen core stuff as software. Given that I’m not live and have piano and organ sounds I’m happy with I can save a ton on a Fantom and look at other things.

• yep.    The sounds are the same.