Ryan Adams 2 new albums, thoughts please ?

What's Hot
marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 88
edited May 2022 in Music
It's on Spotify called ' Chris'...might take a few listens... not grabbing me yet!!! What's everyone think?
Cheers Mark 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3137
    Much better than Big Colours. It’s classic Adams, albeit not a classic Adams album. The biggest problem I’m having is that I can’t help but feel guilty listening to it (even though nearly everyone I drive past will have no idea who I am listening to)! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like big colours  especially the song 'Manchester ' and What am I'...
    To me the new album sounds like rough demo's... but glad he's back at it.... :)
  • And not really got into the album 'wednesdays'...

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1068
    Incredibly samey. Poor really.
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 88
    edited April 2022
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    I’ve said for a long time he has never had any quality control. If he released half as many records, distilling the very best stuff onto those, he’d be considered a far better and more important artist than he is. I haven’t heard the new one yet but at least sounds like it might be better than than the last 2

Also if he wasn’t a weird/creepy dude with addiction issues, but I won’t get into that because a lot of the music is genuinely amazing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3137
    But Adams is all about the rushed rough demos, that’s what made him awesome. Love is hell (both parts), rock’n’roll, the cardinals albums that followed. A speed induced mess with little concern about what anyone else else thought or cared. There was always something exciting about the unpredictability of it all. 

Big Colours felt contrived in comparison and during the limited listen I gave it, the flow of some of the lyrics was enough to literally make me turn it off. 

By comparison, Chris sounds like him doing what he does: getting in a room and jamming some tracks. With that comes a certain amount of repetition and song by numbers, but that happens in your 40s, let alone when you’ve released as much as he has.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I used to listen to him quite a lot but I can't bring myself to after reading what a horrible creap he is.

Coincidentally I'm currently listening to Punisher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the new one. I like a few from Big colors. Not keen on Wednesdays.

Could have been one good album out of all those tracks. They all sound like he needs a producer, he sounds best with Ethan I think, although I don't like 29 at all. 

Thing with Chris is it sounds like a drum machine at time, or just dull drums, really he needed a Cold Roses style band to make it really work, sounds like just him. 
    He has divided his fan base, but he's sold out some big shows recently. 

His behaviour isn't on a level to Jimmy Page etc. Just sad addictions making him due stupid things. 

He dedicated a song to me and my partner when we had Covid, been very kind to my band, so can't say bad things really and now he is sober I hope he can fix it 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree with above... he defo needs a producer,  its quantity over quality...
    @Cookiemonster ; What's the name of your band? Will check it out ;)  
    And another release....
    'ROMEO AND JULIET' ... First track rollercoaster  is a nicely produced track.. if the rest of the album is anything like... should be good... Will report back after my first full listen.. 
    Sun's out with a cheeky glass of red !!! ;)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Had a quick listen, very average. Thought Prisoners and the self titled Ryan Adams album were superb. Unimpressed by everything since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Prefer romeo and juliet album over 'Chris'... his run of solo acoustic gigs have garnered great reviews  ;)