Get The Funk Out

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
So band mates have put this back in the set - was always a challenge, and it turns out my technique has obviously slipped a bit since we last played it. 

Major working points for me:

1) The tapped bit - always a challenge to make sure both hands are in the correct position at the same time
3) The picked phrase after the tapping, upto the chromatic stepdown / up with the pedal tone - I`ve always played this on the top string and then 12th position, seen it tabbed elsewhere too. Think it`s just a case of picking practice and finger memory.

Wish me luck!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 506
    My cap is well and truly doffed to anyone who can pull this off!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    edited April 2022
    Challenging. That requres some serious time spent woodshedding.!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 506
    Learning how to play the right notes in the right order up to speed seems like only half the battle too! The swing/feel is killer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    MrTee said:
    Learning how to play the right notes in the right order up to speed seems like only half the battle too! The swing/feel is killer
    This is very, very true! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    I'm pretty sure @digitalscream played this at a Gasfest. I recall being quite astounded by it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Sporky said:
    I'm pretty sure @digitalscream played this at a Gasfest. I recall being quite astounded by it. 
    Yep, with Mr Beagle on vocals. That was a long time ago!

I cheated a bit, though...the tapped bit was easy enough, but the bit afterwards was something similar-but-more-comfortable ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    I keep meaning to learn the tapping section too
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Did you give up on (2) ? :-)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I do something broadly similar but my own version of it. Sounds close enough for the most part, I'll try and dig out the video. I got the tab book when I was in my teens and it was so massively wrong that I had to find my own way of doing it and it kind of stuck.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I tried quite hard in the nineties to get it half decent but it was never great when I did it. Nuno is quite hard to copy as, like Eddie he plays almost from a drummers point of view, even the tapped section has swing and there's unequal notes per measure. 
    Still love a lot of the songs, they were a cut above the rest of the late eighties, early nineties hair brigade that's for sure. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Here's what I did (at about 2:47). I do try and do more of his pentatonic stuff now in the last bit rather than the widdly-widdly:

Apologies for awful band name and logo. 
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Danny1969 said:
    I tried quite hard in the nineties to get it half decent but it was never great when I did it. Nuno is quite hard to copy as, like Eddie he plays almost from a drummers point of view, even the tapped section has swing and there's unequal notes per measure. 
    Still love a lot of the songs, they were a cut above the rest of the late eighties, early nineties hair brigade that's for sure. 
    I'm glad you said this as I've found guitarists that sometimes have that special swing, pump etc started off life as drummers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    Here's what I did (at about 2:47). I do try and do more of his pentatonic stuff now in the last bit rather than the widdly-widdly:

Blimey, that's even shreddier than Nuno :astonished: 

I think there's something wrong with my AZ2402, because it can't do that. 

It's not a competition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Did you give up on (2) ? :-)
    Doh! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Saw them in 2018 and certainly one of the very best bands i`ve seen - just effortless groove.

• wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Amazing band! Nuno....what a player, so ahead of his time!

That was me playing GTFO about 6 years ago for an Xmas party gig. It was supposed to be played harmonised with my bandmate but he got drunk and started a semitone higher and a beat and a half early. Disaster! Oh, and the drummer played the song about 30bpm too quick anyway so we were both done for whatever happened :D
    Great fun though!
    GL with it, takes a bit of time whenever you go back to learn it again but it's worth it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091

You look so relaxed like it's a walk in the park. Awesome! 
    wizbit81 said:

That was me playing GTFO about 6 years ago for an Xmas party gig. It was supposed to be played harmonised with my bandmate but he got drunk and started a semitone higher and a beat and a half early. Disaster! Oh, and the drummer played the song about 30bpm too quick anyway so we were both done for whatever happened :D
    Great fun though!
    GL with it, takes a bit of time whenever you go back to learn it again but it's worth it!
    Awesome, I think you had the right tab :) Your band mate may just have had the original tab book…the solo was virtually unplayable in parts in the way it was written out! (Being drunk probably didn’t help masses though!  :#)
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Haha yeah I still have that book somewhere! Bought it over 20 years ago I think. Absolutely terrible! I used a random internet tab as a base then my ear to fix the mistakes. I liked your version btw @Vibetronic, very cool!
  • wizbit81 said:

Great fun though!
    Bob on that one.. Well done 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?