Cover challenge 19 the letter F

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    Thanks @snags, will have a go and see how I get on.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    edited May 2022
    .mrkb said:
    I’m interested in doing this. What are the rules on how much of the music you have to have played? What’s the general rule for creating bass, keys and drum tracks? 

Go for it @mrkb ;

There are no hard and fast rules. You do something radically different or even try to reproduce the original. Perhaps simply singing to a karaoke track would be a step to far.

Over the years we've had samples included - a house remix of Everlong with Dave Grohl's original vocal won the last challenge.

You can also use guest musicians and feel free to ask here if you need help. I had poopot guest as Flavour Flav when I did 9-5 as Public Enemy!. We just ask that if you guest on someone else's track that you don't vote for it.

It's more important that we have more entries. Just as long as there's honesty - don't claim to be playing faster than Michael Angelo Batio if it's cheating through editing but feel free to use as much MIDI as needed. Heck my keyboard skills are dire so everything I submit is usually recorded one hand at a time in the easiest key, transposed,  quantised within an inch of its life and even still might be manually tidied up in the grid.

Just have fun whatever you do.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    mrkb said:

Get stuck in - it's fun, And infuriating. And for me, a massive time suck.

Poopot had already done both of his before I'd even got the drum pattern and underpinning synth parts underway for mine ...
    Snags said:
    mrkb said:

Get stuck in - it's fun, And infuriating. And for me, a massive time suck.

Poopot had already done both of his before I'd even got the drum pattern and underpinning synth parts underway for mine ...

There's no extra points for getting yours in first

(Said the actress to the vicar)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Ha! Quite the opposite usually. I was just always staggered by Stu's work rate. In the morning I'd get "What do you think of this?" and by the time I replied about an hour later "Oh, I've finished it now"
    I've just remembered that I had an idea a few years back when Ian Brown's F.E.A.R was the chosen song to be covered. IIRC nobody ever got around to covering that particular track.

Might as well finish it off
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    Snags said:
    I was just always staggered by Stu's work rate. In the morning I'd get "What do you think of this?" and by the time I replied about an hour later "Oh, I've finished it now"
    He asked if I’d do vocals on East Bound and Down, then had it finished before I had a chance to learn all the words.

I’m planning to mash up the White Stripes song with something else.
    westford said:

He asked if I’d do vocals on East Bound and Down, then had it finished before I had a chance to learn all the words.
    Learn the words?

I usually just have my phone in one hand with the lyrics on it and a SM58 in the other!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    westford said:

Learn the words?

I usually just have my phone in one hand with the lyrics on it and a SM58 in the other!
    I didn't know the song at all, reading the words wouldn't have helped me know the tune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    edited May 2022
    Will be sitting this one out, good luck everyone!

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited May 2022
    Sent mine in.

@flying_pie I could have added it myself, but I thought it would be a good test to see if you receive it and to check the upload process.

It's not a competition.
    Great thinking @stratman3142 ;

Nothing in my inbox or spam, I'm afraid. I definitely gave Lee the right email address!
    edited May 2022
    Great thinking @stratman3142 ;;;

Nothing in my inbox or spam, I'm afraid. I definitely gave Lee the right email address!

One way you can check is for you to send a test email to covers@thefretboard.co.uk
    It should be redirected to your email. So, if things are working correctly, you should receive the test email on your personal email address. If not, I guess you need to PM Lee again or I could do it. But I don't want to bother him on a Sunday. 

I won't upload my entry myself yet, as it's probably best that we use it as a 'pipe-cleaner' to check things are working OK.

It's not a competition.
    I'll PM Lee tomorrow @stratman3142 .

Looks like he's not yet hooked me up
    edited May 2022
    That's it all sorted @stratman3142 .

Do you want to resend it?
    That's it all sorted @stratman3142 .

Do you want to resend it?

Resent

It's not a competition.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I’ve been in self imposed exile away from Forum matters for the last couple of months absolutely gutted to hear about Poopot . 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Sent mine.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."