The Rise and Rise of Wet Leg...

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    Keiko said:
    Watched a video of Chaise Lounge on youtube. The lead singer is wearing a short skirt and shakes her leg a lot. Her leg is not wet though. Neither is the leg of the blonde one. More click bait crap.
    I suspect their name might be a quite rude sexual reference...
    Wake up, it’s 2022.

As women they are entitled to express themselves by use of a rude sexual reference. That’s feminism.

As a man you are not entitled to notice. That would be sexism.

Not sure if you are joking or not there mate?
    I hope so because I laughed  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    mrkb said:
    Keiko said:
    Watched a video of Chaise Lounge on youtube. The lead singer is wearing a short skirt and shakes her leg a lot. Her leg is not wet though. Neither is the leg of the blonde one. More click bait crap.
    But what dampness did your leg have? It’s not about them, it’s about you.
    No dampness, but I did start to get a big D.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Keiko said:
    mrkb said:
    Keiko said:
    But what dampness did your leg have? It’s not about them, it’s about you.
    No dampness, but I did start to get a big D.

Of course, artistically the carry on style nudge wink smuttiness recalls the "greatest indie rock guitar band of all time except possibly Oasis" the Smiths... so very astute.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    Wake up, it’s 2022.

As women they are entitled to express themselves by use of a rude sexual reference. That’s feminism.

As a man you are not entitled to notice. That would be sexism.

Not sure if you are joking or not there mate?
    I hope so because I laughed  
    I was thinking a meta reference to the original WL thread... if so lol!
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    I think they are great :) ...
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited April 2022
    Not my usual cup of tea, initial feelings after watching the music videos weren't great but I enjoyed the tiny desk concert a lot actually, and other live performances. So pretty cool overall.

The "tongue in cheek" stuff is a tiny bit boring though, faux-controversial. I get why they might feel they need to posture like that to cut-through, it worked, so will be interesting to see how they go.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1476
    Hopefully they ditch the "titulate Steve Lemacq" lyrics otherwise it might get a bit old fast. But given how their record label managed the Arctic Monkeys I'm sure that will come.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    roberty said:
    I don't have anything constructive to say either but I came here to take the piss out of people who are taking the piss out of other people who have nothing constructive to say
    I’ve been out all day and just come back to say I’ve still nothing constructive to say about wet legs or any other part of the body… just thought I’d say that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Anyhow back to Wet Leg, as we all love each other really...

Anyone else fall in love with Rhian a teeny bit for failing to "not swear" and reacting to it so well here...?

Disclaimer: I'm drinking.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22791
    I didn't realise they were British.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    In at number 1, it's easy to see why. The production is great, they are smart and sassy, and their breeziness is a perfect antidote to the torrent of actual human shit we've all been through these past few years, and the news now. It is well timed for summer

The singles are good, overall it's a little on the safe side for me but I still rate it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Interesting, the indie 1-2-3 thing. Also interesting that the first time that happened was 2011 and it was Adele!

Apparently selling 4 copies for every copy of Father John Misty's album. Interestingly I played a Father John Misty song to my other half just now, she likes Wet Leg but described his song as "too serious man music". 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Interesting, the indie 1-2-3 thing. Also interesting that the first time that happened was 2011 and it was Adele!

Apparently selling 4 copies for every copy of Father John Misty's album. Interestingly I played a Father John Misty song to my other half just now, she likes Wet Leg but described his song as "too serious man music". 

There is an element in "indie rock" -  of what I'd call"pure fun".

Wet Leg remind me of songs like "You're in a bad way" by St Etienne, "In Your Car" by Kenickie or "Inbetweener" by Sleeper, "Parklife" by Blur, "Disco 2000" by Pulp, "Beautiful Ones" by Suede and of course, basically everything Oasis Mk 1 ever did.

Yes Britain is a shithole, yes love ends, yes we all have regrets and things that make us sad, but we're ALIVE and we love being alive and being human beings.  It's ultimately why I love music, because the best of it taps into the very foundation of what makes us human.

We also had Radiohead for when we had a bad day of course.  But always finish on "This is a Low by Blur... because there's always the shipping forecast to make things all better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I do prefer the more acoustic sounding side of nu-wave pop vs the synthy side eg MGMT. I'm a big fan of early B52s
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Is the name inspired by the Bovver Boys, as played by Dick Emery and Roy Kinnear? Older viewers will get the reference. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Am I the only one who finds them contrived and irritating? Trying too hard to be edgy and musically completely uninteresting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6681
    edited April 2022
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only one who finds them contrived and irritating? Trying too hard to be edgy and musically completely uninteresting.
    Not really. I find them a little bit "dopey", a little bit fake naive and as you say, contrived but hey, they get the vote of the millennials and generation Z so we ought to keep our big boomer mouths shut a bit round here.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    merlin said:
    ICBM said:
    Not really. I find them a little bit "dopey", a little bit fake naive and as you say, contrived but hey, they get the vote of the millennials and generation Z so we ought to keep out big boomer mouths shut a bit round here.  
    It's fine we can't all like the same things!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    ICBM said:
    I think that's kind of the shtick to be fair
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    merlin said:
    ICBM said:
    Not really. I find them a little bit "dopey", a little bit fake naive and as you say, contrived but hey, they get the vote of the millennials and generation Z so we ought to keep out big boomer mouths shut a bit round here.  

As millennials are largely in their mid-to-late-thirties now, I don't think they're the target demographic either (speaking as a millennial).

I don't really like their stuff, but I'm glad they exist.