Improve your playing ability by listening to other musicians

What's Hot
CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
Has anyone ever considered listening to other musicians and how they play their instruments to improve your own technique?

For instance, listening to saxophone players. They generally play single note melodies so maybe that would assist lead guitar players.
'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    One of the things I learned from listening to other instruments is how much music uses easy finger patterns. From sax players I learned not to solo by running up and down scales.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    Yeah, definitely. It's a great resource. I often get my students to start with the Miles Davis solo from So What. A masterclass in phrasing. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4137
    CoolCat said:
    Has anyone ever considered listening to other musicians and how they play their instruments to improve your own technique?

For instance, listening to saxophone players. They generally play single note melodies so maybe that would assist lead guitar players.
    Saxophone players and vocals are brilliant to follow and easy to learn by ear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1843
    I'd simply like to actually play with other musicians,guitarists in particular. In over two years of playing I've never jammed with anybody else. I can't help feeling I'm being stunted by this. Obviously watching musicians helps, but playing with them must be the priority?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    CoolCat said:

Not sure I agree with that.  Good sax players can generally play faster than guitar players at an equivalent level and often play patterns that are awkward to finger on guitar.  I'm not saying don't transcribe sax parts but most of us will have to stick to stuff that's not too technical.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    I'd simply like to actually play with other musicians,guitarists in particular. In over two years of playing I've never jammed with anybody else. I can't help feeling I'm being stunted by this. Obviously watching musicians helps, but playing with them must be the priority?
    ^ This. There is nothing like playing with others to help you develop your skills. You’ll pick up all sorts of stuff - technique, discipline, repertoire, learning to listen, learning to hear the other instruments separately, learning where you fit in, when to step up, when to hang back, new ways of doing stuff you think you already know, etc.
    If you know even a handful of chords and can keep time then get yourself along to a local jam night and join in. Nerve racking first time you do it but, honestly, it’s worth giving it a go.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4137
    CoolCat said:

Not sure I agree with that.  Good sax players can generally play faster than guitar players at an equivalent level and often play patterns that are awkward to finger on guitar.  I'm not saying don't transcribe sax parts but most of us will have to stick to stuff that's not too technical.
    Absolutely , I did mean the more vocal style Sax leads you get in smooth jazz type stuff 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5416
    I habitually do video tutorials for the "wrong" instrument, usually piano and upright bass. It teaches me useful stuff.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    I do use a lot of piano voicing chords on guitar that I've got from people like Elton John and Freddy Mercury. The piano lends it's self to more complex voicing but it does translate to guitar with a cleanish sound. Slash chords, lots of extensions, longish arps with added 9ths and such. 
    Solo'ing wise I've become more interested in listening to singers and how much time you can spend technically in no mans land, between proper note pitches before resolving things to pitch on a phrase. A lot of the guitar greats do this as well. If you listen carefully to Van Halen (on the slower phrases) you can hear this. It's something I had considered much until recently. 
    Every days a school day in this game 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    HAL9000 said:
    ^ This. There is nothing like playing with others to help you develop your skills. You’ll pick up all sorts of stuff - technique, discipline, repertoire, learning to listen, learning to hear the other instruments separately, learning where you fit in, when to step up, when to hang back, new ways of doing stuff you think you already know, etc.
    If you know even a handful of chords and can keep time then get yourself along to a local jam night and join in. Nerve racking first time you do it but, honestly, it’s worth giving it a go.
    I agree 100% that playing music with another person is where you really learn about music. Open night jams is not the place to start IMHO.  Best in your own (music) room with someone who plays the same general type of music that you play. Such sessions are work in progress and not competitive - you both try to get something from the experience. Make lots of notes (on paper) of song titles, keys, chord patterns etc. Practice these and your next session will take off.  

Always remember to listen carefully to the overall sound and adjust accordingly. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    There days I can find no better school for guitar playing then going to see local cover bands when I get the chance.
    By god it's instructive. 
    I'm aware of the pitfalls of using too much gain - but you get to see and hear what voicings cut through, EQ, how others approach the same songs I play, gear used, how it performs etc.etc... I'm completely shameless as well - if I see someone doing something that catches my ear - I won't hesitate to try / use it myself ! 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Danny1969 said:
    ... I've become more interested in listening to singers and how much time you can spend technically in no mans land, between proper note pitches before resolving ...
    I love in between notes
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    Yep, I love listening to Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Sonny Stitt etc.. Prob listen to them as much as guitar based stuff.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • PALPAL Frets: 538
    I listen to everything because in every type of music you will find something interesting that can spark something in your own playing. 
  • I played bass in a mate's band for a few years, made me understand more about the role and just locking in with that bass drum. Also with soloing I listen to singers and melody instruments like sax, piano etc.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    I can't imagine listening to guitar music alone. If anyone is narrowing their listening experiences solely to guitar music I really do urge them to look up, broaden their horizons, see what else is out there! There's a lot!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.