Quilter Superblock UK/US

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
Anyone on here willing to admit to having, or having used, one of these?

I find myself slightly intrigued, but also suspicious that they'll fall into the "OK for the money" bracket which is usually code for "Fine, but you'll be left disatisfied". And as they appear to have a fairly limited set of outlets to the UK (Thomann, and Wembley Music Centre) I'm faintly suspicious that maybe they're not all that. But ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    I haven't used the Superblock but I have a Micropro Mach 2 HD Combo.  Amp sounds are so subjective, but I use it as a pedal platform and love it - one of my favourite gear purchases ever.  Only the fact that Covid has virtually killed the gigging scene for the past couple of years has prevented me getting the Mach 3 Aviator, which is the next generation.  I plan to sell all my other amps because they don't get used.

I wouldn't read too much into the limited outlets - they're a small company with a pretty US-centric outlook and their move into Europe has been pretty half-hearted so far.  I actually had to buy my combo from Denmark, so at least things have moved on from there.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    One could argue that Fractal have even less representation and they're not exactly shabby.....
    Haven't tried a Superblock but very happy with my 101 Mini Head.....
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Wembley Music Centre is UK Distributor - that's all it is, nothing sinister.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1346
    @Blueingreen - Tell me more about your pedal pltform usage! I'd imiagin it would be fab with delays and modulation  but what does it do when faced with overdrive or fuzz?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    I tried the US one and thought it sounded and felt like playing a typical Peavey Bandit or something. Whether you like that sound is up to you.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 275
    koss59 said:
    I tried the US one and thought it sounded and felt like playing a typical Peavey Bandit or something. Whether you like that sound is up to you.
    In recent weeks I've spent time with the Cub USA, the latest Peavey Bandit and the Roland Blues Cube Artist. I also owned the Artist for a few weeks a couple of years ago. To my earholes the Peavey and the Roland sound terrible. I would not consider gigging with either of these amps. I've had the Cub since November last year. At first I loved it, then I hated it, then I re-visited it and now love it again. You have to work with the Cub to find the best sounds. There's a lot to play with - gain, limiter, active EQ and three inputs that can be combined - but there are some great sounds in there. It is capable of tones that are way beyond anything the Bandit or Cube can produce. If you get the opportunity to mess around with one for a week or so you might find something you really like. Or not. Who knows?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    I had a Blues Cube Artist for a while, and it was OK. The clean channel was nice for cleans, and OK with a bit of gain. The overdrive channel I never really gelled with, despite trying all kinds of different settings. And ultimately I kept feeling that the whole thing just felt a little "stiff", so it found a new home.

That said, we used it at a jam/recording session/gig one time and it sounded great. So much so that @sticker stood next to me as we listened and said "Isn't it sickening when your gear sounds great, and you know it will never sound that good when you're playing it yourself" :lol: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    GoFish said:
    @Blueingreen - Tell me more about your pedal pltform usage! I'd imiagin it would be fab with delays and modulation  but what does it do when faced with overdrive or fuzz?

I'm not a heavy rock or metal player, and I haven't used it with fuzz.  In fact a lot of the time I'm using clean tones.  But I've used for the lighter end of classic rock (Stones/Tom Petty) and in a jazz/jazz fusion band covering (on the rockier side) stuff from Steely Dan to Zappa to Santana to Weather Report and Yellowjackets. I've variously used it with a Fly Rig (I usually have the Sansamp section "always on", not necessary but adds a bit of extra Fendery sparkle), Xotic BB Preamp, Lovepedal Amp 11, TC Flashback, Line 6 M9 and HXFX and always had good results.

If you like a Fender flavoured clean pedal platform and don't have a 'nothing will ever replace tubes" mindset I think it will work well for most players.  And it's loud and weighs nothing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I've been using a Toneblock 202 and prior to that a problock.    They are superb little amps and although I bought  them to use as a backup for my valve amps,  I've done many gigs and rehearsals with them and never have had any issues using them. They work really well with overdriver/mod/delay pedals etc and I would heartily recommend them to anyone.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 263
    edited May 2022
    I have a Superblock US as of a couple of weeks ago. I have just put a Peavey Classic 50 combo* up for sale, because the Superblock plus a Creamback sounds a lot better ... to me, anyway. 

The Peavey has enough glassware in it to host a small dinner party, but thanks to Mr Quilter and his chums in Canada, I have come around to the view that valves are no longer necessary for great tones. 

The Superblock has a lot of different, good sounds in it, dials in quickly (maybe a one-hour learning curve to get the hang of the limiter), is loud, has good, aggressive cleans, smooth to gritty overdrive, and sounds stunning with pedals.  I haven't tried very boutique stuff, but it's my favourite production amp so far, at any price. It is also small and light, and has plenty of i/o. 

EUR250 for this is an absolute steal. 

*A proper all-valve one, not the dodgy VTX thingy
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 181
    I've had the Superblock US a week or two now, love it, great bit of kit. Will be doing a little gig with it tonight.

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    kelpbeds said:
    I've had the Superblock US a week or two now, love it, great bit of kit. Will be doing a little gig with it tonight.

How did the gig go?
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I’m tempted by a small pedalboard rig. Wonder how these compare to a H&K Stompman? I’d probably also want the unit to double up as a power amp for my Kemper 
    For a Kemper, you would probably play through the FX return.  The Superblock has its own sound, and is not hi-fi neutral. I haven't tried the h+k.
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 181
    kelpbeds said:

How did the gig go?
    The Superblock was unreal. Just played it straight I to a 1x12 and it kept with the drummer no prob. Quite remarkable and a pleasant tone to boot. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    I may have had a small retail accident with one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I have both the UK and the US ones.
    The US one sounds very good although it has a bit of upper mid fizz I can’t fully dial out - but I never had the real amps so can’t tell if it’s normal or not.
    The UK one, IMO is spectacular. In plexi mode, it sounds like a great plexi should, I’ve compared it to several high end valve plexi clones and it sounds and feels just as good.
    It takes pedals like a champ and responds brilliantly to volume control. And the two other VOX voiced modes sounds great too. 

I’ve bought and sold a lot of other transistor amps / amp emulators before and was always disappointed but the superblock is AWESOME 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HydraHydra Frets: 20
    How good is the master volume taper on these?
    In what regard? I've not had much time with mine, but it's usable at home (in a music room) on the 24v/25w supply as well as the 9v. Although the 9v/1w option still has enough poke to upset people if you want it to. 

It seems reasonably smooth; certainly not the quiet quiet quiet quiet !!!LOUD!!! of some amps.
    Yes, the volume goes smoothly from home practice to "I SAID TURN IT DOWN!".  I tried a 9v supply just because, but the bundled 24v supply actually covers everything.