Versatile 5-string- Sire/Marcus Miller? Anything Else?

What's Hot
Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
Hi everyone,

I think I'd like to try a 5-string, just to see what they're like. I don't really want to pay too much in case I decide I don't like them, but I also don't want to cheap out too much in case that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy (the not-liking thing, I mean).

I'd want it to be pretty versatile, so if it can get at least some of the "classic" bass tones, that would be good- P, J, Stingray, anything else that's considered classic- plus some more modern tones. I'm guessing active/passive switchable would be a good idea, ideally also with a tone control in passive mode. Not too heavy (definitely well under 10lbs, ideally under 9) or neck-heavy. I also prefer going new. I can upgrade pickups and/or electronics, and I guess also hardware if it's a genuine direct swap (drilling is beyond me!), but at the same time it's handier if I don't have to bother... plus upgrades add up pretty quickly in terms of cost and it might make more sense to just buy a better instrument which already has the upgrades!

I was thinking of maybe a Sire/Marcus Miller M5 or M7, or maybe the Sire/Marcus Miller V7? Is there anything else which you would recommend around that price? Budget is relatively flexible, if there's something much better for, say, £800-£1000, I would consider that.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    I'd strongly consider an Ibanez Mezzo if I were you. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited April 2022
    Thanks How's the 32" scale? My 4 strings have 34" (I haven't tried 32"). Also, I'm not 100% sure about a PJ setup- I've already got a PJ 4-string, and am not sure I would want to just double up to get the 5 strings- my feeling is that I might as well get something a little different (but I could well be wrong about that). It does look pretty nice, though (I like the colour/pickguard and maple neck), and I'm guessing it might be on the lighter side with the smaller size, poplar body etc.?

I should probably say what I currently have- I've got a Fret-King (the PJ), a Stingray, and a Vigier (I'm not sure exactly what its pickups are closest to... they're pretty big, pretty hot alnico 8 single coils... I would guess jazz bass on steroids, but I'm not 100% sure!). So I guess I would kind of want something which could cover some of those tones, while not being exactly the same either, if that makes sense. Just in case I don't find the 5-string that useful just for the extra string, it might as well cover some extra ground that my current basses don't. That's my thinking anyway, and it might be wrong!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Dave_Mc said:
    Just in case I don't find the 5-string that useful just for the extra string, it might as well cover some extra ground that my current basses don't. That's my thinking anyway and it might be wrong!
    Do you want a five string for the extra playing options of the additional string or for the extra four semi-tones offered by the BEADG tuning?

You could get the tuning advantage by modifying one of your existing bass guitars for BEAD tuning. 

Dave_Mc said:
    I was thinking of maybe a Sire/Marcus Miller M5 or M7 or, maybe, the Sire/Marcus Miller V7? 
    The M Series is a good choice. Its EMG Soapbar-sized pickup cavities will accept all manner of replacement pickups. Ironically, these include the -35P and -35J. 

The five string Sire M basses may have EMG40-sized pickup cavities.

Dave_Mc said:
    Budget is relatively flexible, if there's something much better for, say, £800-£1000, I would consider that.
    My old Warwick Streamer Pro Stage 1 broad neck fits that description but is probably worth more money - even in its naturally road worn condition.

Dave_Mc said:
    Is there anything else which you would recommend around that price?
    Yes, the deeply unfashionable Fender Dimension Bass - American or Mexican - can sometimes be snaffled up for a stupidly small sum of money.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dave_Mc said:
    Just in case I don't find the 5-string that useful just for the extra string, it might as well cover some extra ground that my current basses don't. That's my thinking anyway and it might be wrong!
    (a) Do you want a five string for the extra playing options of the additional string or for the extra four semi-tones offered by the BEADG tuning?

You could get the tuning advantage by modifying one of your existing bass guitars for BEAD tuning. 

Dave_Mc said:
    I was thinking of maybe a Sire/Marcus Miller M5 or M7 or, maybe, the Sire/Marcus Miller V7? 
    (b) The M Series is a good choice. Its EMG Soapbar-sized pickup cavities will accept all manner of replacement pickups. Ironically, these include the -35P and -35J. 

The five string Sire M basses may have EMG40-sized pickup cavities.

Dave_Mc said:
    Budget is relatively flexible, if there's something much better for, say, £800-£1000, I would consider that.
    (c) My old Warwick Streamer Pro Stage 1 broad neck fits that description but is probably worth more money - even in its naturally road worn condition.

Dave_Mc said:
    Is there anything else which you would recommend around that price?
    (d) Yes, the deeply unfashionable Fender Dimension Bass - American or Mexican - can sometimes be snaffled up for a stupidly small sum of money.

(a) Yeah I was initially thinking tuning a 4-string to the lower 4 of a 5-string might be an option, but then I was thinking the nut would probably have to be modified? Knowing me, I'd never get around to taking it to anyone to get that done!

I guess I'd just like the option of the lower notes... it would also hopefully mean that I could play in different (lower) tunings without having to retune, though I guess it might be more awkward to play if there were a lot of open string notes (like if I were playing in Eb, say).

(b) LOL I saw you posted in another thread when I was searching about the M series that you said the 4-string fitted EMG 35s... I was just assuming the 5-string also fitted the 40s, but I guess it would make sense to check that out for sure. Ideally I wouldn't have to swap the pickups... but it'd be nice to know it's an easy swap if I did have to. (LOL about the PJ thing too... I'm not saying I wouldn't go for that, again it'd be nice to have the option, just I wouldn't want to be stuck to it which you pretty much are with a genuine PJ set.)

Just out of interest, do you happen to know what the stock pickups are in the M5 and M7? They look like two jazz pickups put together, and I'm assuming that's what they are, but I could well be wrong about that.

(c) Thanks for the offer, but I really prefer new. I know it's kind of silly, but...

(d) I actually came across one of those the other day- not stupidly small money, unfortunately. I remember when they came out, I seem to remember after they were discontinued they were blowing them out for a pretty low price. Needless to say, I chickened out...
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited April 2022
    I got a Sire M5 a few months back which I'm very happy with. Mine weighs about 8.75lb. There was a very minor issue with the intonation adjustment range which had a very easy fix (explained in the link below).

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/217433/nbd-sire-m5-5-string#latest

There are loads of sound options, but so far I've found what I want from just using it in passive mode with each pickup in parallel mode. That gives the benefit of close to a Jazz bass single coil type sound but with humbucking mode.

I think the slightly extra scale length might help to give slightly more clarity from the low B string, compared to a Squier Vintage Modified J bass 5 string I had previously.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @stratman3142 Thanks! :)

I've come across your thread about that before when I was searching about the Sires- what you did is a really good idea, the kind of thing I'd never think of! So nice to know it's a fairly easy fix.

What you said about the pickups is what's worrying me slightly- I have more experience of this with guitar but I'm guessing it might apply to bass too- sometimes you have all these supposed extra tones you can get with fancy wiring etc., but you still find that one or two are the most useful!

That's what I was thinking/hoping with the 35" scale- though no experience myself.

How bright is the blue on yours? I know you have pics but it might not be exactly the same as in real life. I'd actually really like a blueburst, it's one of those finishes I've always really liked but never got round to getting a guitar or bass in. But the blue on the M5 seems like it can be pretty bright, whereas it seems to be a fair bit darker on the M7 for some reason. Also the grain on yours is really nice and seems to be centre-matched, too (unless it's a really well-hidden join elsewhere, or single piece)- some of the pics of the M5 I've seen of them had a pretty badly-matched off-centre join and/or pretty middling grain, which is slightly putting me off. Also (though it's out of stock) Thomann actually has the brown suburst M7 for less than the M5, which is a little weird (though it has an alder body, the non-laminate neck, and is supposedly on average a little heavier).
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited April 2022
    Dave_Mc said:@stratman3142 Thanks!

...What you said about the pickups is what's worrying me slightly- I have more experience of this with guitar but I'm guessing it might apply to bass too- sometimes you have all these supposed extra tones you can get with fancy wiring etc., but you still find that one or two are the most useful!...

...How bright is the blue on yours?...

The only reason I haven't messed much with the range of tones is because the parallel mode on each pickup gives something that quickly works for me and sits well in my recordings. I guess the other tones might come in useful one day.

Regarding the colour, I'm not really a good judge of these things. It's kind of a greeny blue that fades towards natural in the middle. My wife loves the colour and says it's an Aqua type blue.

It's difficult to tell (in absolute terms) from a photo, so below is a picture in natural light on a cloudy day to compare relative to my other blue guitars. The Sire M5 isn't as obviously blue as my Ibanez guitars which my wife says are silvery blue (which Ibanez describes as Ice Blue Metallic).

https://i.imgur.com/3Dnhi3X.jpg

It's not a competition.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Dave_Mc said:
    Thanks How's the 32" scale? My 4 strings have 34" (I haven't tried 32"). Also, I'm not 100% sure about a PJ setup- I've already got a PJ 4-string, and am not sure I would want to just double up to get the 5 strings- my feeling is that I might as well get something a little different (but I could well be wrong about that). It does look pretty nice, though (I like the colour/pickguard and maple neck), and I'm guessing it might be on the lighter side with the smaller size, poplar body etc.?

I should probably say what I currently have- I've got a Fret-King (the PJ), a Stingray, and a Vigier (I'm not sure exactly what its pickups are closest to... they're pretty big, pretty hot alnico 8 single coils... I would guess jazz bass on steroids, but I'm not 100% sure!). So I guess I would kind of want something which could cover some of those tones, while not being exactly the same either, if that makes sense. Just in case I don't find the 5-string that useful just for the extra string, it might as well cover some extra ground that my current basses don't. That's my thinking anyway, and it might be wrong!
    I've not got a mezzo - but they have a reputation for being good, cheap, light, and versatile, which is why it came to mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The only reason I haven't messed much with the range of tones is because the parallel mode on each pickup gives something that quickly works for me and sits well in my recordings. I guess the other tones might come in useful one day.

Regarding the colour, I'm not really a good judge of these things. It's kind of a greeny blue that fades towards natural in the middle. My wife loves the colour and says it's an Aqua type blue.

It's difficult to tell (in absolute terms) from a photo, so below is a picture in natural light on a cloudy day to compare relative to my other blue guitars. The Sire M5 isn't as obviously blue as my Ibanez guitars which my wife says are silvery blue (which Ibanez describes as Ice Blue Metallic).

https://i.imgur.com/3Dnhi3X.jpg

Brilliant, thanks! 

No worries about all the tones, I'm kind of the same, lol. I'll deliberately try to buy something which is as versatile as possible, and then probably sit on the same setting the whole time!

That photo helps a lot- I'd say (based on that and other pics I've seen) that you and your wife are spot-on with the descriptions. Lovely Ibanezes (and garden!) too  =) (Also LOL, I think we would call that a sunny day here in Northern Ireland!)

Also I missed it above, but if they all weigh around 8.75 lbs, I'd be ecstatic! That's around what my Vigier weighs, and is lighter than my other 2 (all 4-strings).

I've not got a mezzo - but they have a reputation for being good, cheap, light, and versatile, which is why it came to mind. 
    No worries, I appreciate the suggestion. It definitely does sound like it ticks a lot of boxes for what I want...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I just bought a fan-fret Ibanez
    I've been advised that the extra scale length for the bottom B helps the tone for that string
    I've been advised that the extra scale length for the bottom B helps the tone for that string
    Yeah I think that's what they're designed for (I think- I could well be wrong, I've never messed with them for either bass or guitar!). Have you got it yet or did you order it online?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yeah I think that's what they're designed for (I think- I could well be wrong, I've never messed with them for either bass or guitar!). Have you got it yet or did you order it online?
    Got it yesterday
    sounds good, bottom B still floppier than other strings, but the string set is not standard: 
    DR Strings HI-DEF NEON™ - WHITE coloured Bass Strings: 5-String Medium 45-125

I think 130 or 135 is more normal for the bottom B
    The low B on my 35" scale Warwick is .135. It could still do with being more taut. I had to widen the nut slot.
    Dave_Mc said:
    Got it yesterday
    sounds good, bottom B still floppier than other strings, but the string set is not standard: 
    DR Strings HI-DEF NEON™ - WHITE coloured Bass Strings: 5-String Medium 45-125

I think 130 or 135 is more normal for the bottom B
    Thanks :) Yeah, just from reading about it, it seems an awful lot of manufacturers use a very light low B for some reason. I understand why they do it in most situations (lighter strings feel easier to play, so it can give the impression the instrument is "better"), but it really doesn't seem to make much sense for a low B when most people complain that they're too floppy!

Also LOL, white coloured, that's awesome  =)

The low B on my 35" scale Warwick is .135. It could still do with being more taut. I had to widen the nut slot.
    Grrr, that's what I'm afraid of :( So you had to widen it even for the .135?
    I had to because my Warwick already had an aftermarket replacement nut fitted by the previous owner. No other reason.
    Oh ok. So a standard nut might be ok with a .135, then?

Also, just out of interest, how are Ibanez and Jackson basses? The Jackson Pro Series Spectra bass looks quite nice (and I've seen some on offer at the moment), but I don't hear much mentioned about Jackson when it comes to basses, which might be a bad thing! I think Ibanezes are pretty well-regarded when it comes to basses, but obviously there's an absolute ton of models available there. The Soundgears look pretty nice, and there's a headless one (EHB) which also looks quite nice and is (presumably) fairly light. Granted, I don't even know how headless works...  =)