Gibson Dove

What's Hot
MellishMellish Frets: 945
edited April 2022 in Acoustics
Finish: nitro, Vintage Cherry Sunburst top, maple b/s stained red, scale length 25.5", bone nut & saddle, maple neck (I think), rosewood fingerboard & bridge (latter fixed), comes with Geib brown case, red velvet lining and a truss rod adjuster, Gold Warranty,and Humidipak, Gibson Cloth, leather pickholder blah blah...... So, how does it sound? Crisp, clear. I expected the maple to make it sound bright, and I was surprised that it didn't. The trebles ring and the bass has a a nice thump. I found the neck profile a welcome relief, having struggled a little with my HD-28 Reimagined's soft V. The pickup is the L. R. Baggs as youll know. Fire away if I've not included something you wish to know  ..... Just one questiin from me: what's the best way to clean a rosewood board? Cheers  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    Cleaning rosewood fretboards has been quite contentious here. I'd use lemon oil myself but there are those who poo poo that.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Thanks Mick :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5419
    My Mineur came with a soft cloth and a bottle of Dunlop guitar goop*. I figure that Paul (who made the guitar - it has a rosewood fingerboard and a nitro finish) wouldn't have put that stuff in the case if he didn't trust it. 

* Sorry, can't remember the exact name of it. The bottle is in another state at present so I can't look at it.
    ^ Dunlop 65? :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Best acoustic guitar ever made...

Or at least mine is :).

It's the first and only acoustic I've ever owned that I can pick up, play anything, and it always sounds exactly like the sound I have in my head for "acoustic guitar". Every other one, I've always had to adjust my technique to get it to do what I want. Mine is a 2008 model - I wasn't masively keen on the Baggs, so I've replaced it with a simple passive Fishman to run with outboard modelling. I've also replaced the saddle with bone (big difference), the pins with bone/abalone (no difference!) and the machineheads with lighter and vintage-correctly chrome-plated (not nickel) keystone Grovers... which also made a noticeable difference to the sound, as well as looking much better.

It's a myth that maple is bright - it isn't, it's just very even right across the frequency range, so it can seem brighter at the top end, and bassier at the bottom, than mahogany or rosewood (but closer to rosewood). But really it's just big, even and powerful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Mellish said:
    ^ Dunlop 65? :) 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM ; it *doesn't* come with a bone saddle? :) 
    It's a P O L I S H =) 
    Mellish said:
    It's a P O L I S H =) 

Who's that? Steve? :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    That’s Lech Walesa, Polish guy who was the leader of the Solidarity union and I think, later the president?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    Mellish said:
    @ICBM ; it *doesn't* come with a bone saddle?  
    No, Tusq - unless someone else has already changed it.

(Edit - it seems Gibson have in fact changed the spec.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Mine has a red label. Would that include a different saddle material or could it? It's a real boomer - filled the GG acoustic room. There *is* setup tweaking to do and I spoke to my tech Kim. Fully booked until June earliest :/
    Mellish said:
    Mine has a red label. Would that include a different saddle material or could it?
    Possibly. How old is it? Mine has a white label.

@ICBM ; not home so I can't see the serial number for the year. But looking at it in the store, I thought bone. I'll update this later....... And while I'm posting, a special thanks to @Tannin who did his best to get pics added, which would have been marvellous, but this basic phone won't do email add-ons so we couldn't get there. Sorry about that guys :) 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Cleaning rosewood fretboards has been quite contentious here. I'd use lemon oil myself but there are those who poo poo that.
    I could see how that might darken a light rosewood board, but I don't really see how that would clean it?

(Sorry  =) )
    edited April 2022
    Dave_Mc said:
    I could see how that might darken a light rosewood board, but I don't really see how that would clean it?

(Sorry  )
    I think it has a natural cleaning agent in it (for the finger gunk etc) , as opposed to just (light) boiled linseed or mineral oil with is purely a "moisturiser/conditioner"  thought some believe none of the oils have any real benefit   -

its probably the action of applying it that does more of the cleaning.

If any of mine are particularly gunky,  I take a medium toothbrush to it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited April 2022
    @bertie ;;I was making a really bad taste, low quality joke about "poo poo". Again... sorry  (and also sorry for the confusion and making you reply with a proper, actually useful post  I gave you a wisdom to make up for it :) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dave_Mc said:
    @bertie ;;I was making a really bad taste, low quality joke about "poo poo". Again... sorry  (and also sorry for the confusion and making you reply with a proper, actually useful post  I gave you a wisdom to make up for it :) )
    its my age,  dont worry  =)   

So, update over how old: serial number 22671075. Model number OCSSDOVCS. DOB 15.10.21 :)