Gibson Dove

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited April 2022
    A youngster then . Is it the 'Original' series? I assume that's what the O in the number means. That's the only Dove they seem to do now, and it is listed with a bone saddle. The 'Standard' series - which currently only includes the Hummingbird, no Dove - is still listed with Tusq.

The Dove Original also comes with keystone Grover Rotomatics not kidney-bean ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @ICBM ; yes mate, Original with the keystone metal buttons. I thought my HD-28 with forward shifted bracing was loud but this guy takes volume to another level :) 
    Mellish said:

I thought my HD-28 with forward shifted bracing was loud but this guy takes volume to another level :) 
    Funny really, when "received wisdom" about acoustic guitars states that a large and heavy bridge restricts tone and volume :D.

Mine looks so much better with the keystones. Good to hear that Gibson have decided to get it right now... I do genuinely think it sounds better as well - because the keys are much lighter - but to be honest, I think I'd leave them on even if it sounded worse ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

*I* was one who thought a chunkier bridge meant a tone/volume killer. But no, I  was wrong, and I hold my hands up :) 
    @ICBM ; out of curiosity, what strings do you mainly use on *your* Dove? :) 
    Mellish said:
    @ICBM ; out of curiosity, what strings do you mainly use on *your* Dove? :) 
    Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze 11-52, with a custom 23w G if I'm being fussy. (The 22 in most 11 sets is slightly too light.)

Also contrary to popular wisdom, I don't find that you need to string it with mooring cables to make it sound good - perhaps because it's got a long scale, or maybe because the tension isn't really that much lower than a set of 12s anyway...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

^ :+1:
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1036
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    It's a P O L I S H =) 

My "Steve" comment was a joke going back to an earlier comment by @bertie about an infamous but fictitious tech called Steve :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    @Mellish Congrats on the new Dove. Just tried one out and was blown away, what a guitar! It was a '94 100th Anniversary model with lacquer checking, fairly low frets (will need replacement in a few years) and pick guard that was lifting in the centre. I almost came home with it... but I don't know how I'd feel about drilling to fit a pickup or even taking it out the house to be honest. 

@ICBM You're right, they can do everything. Every style, either with fingers or a pick, just sounded perfect. 

I'm getting GG to bring a Gibson Sheryl Crow C&W Supreme over to Birmingham to try on Thurs. They're gig ready, very sweet and undoubtably more suited to strummed vocal accompaniment (which is the main aim of my next purchase), but if the Dove is still there it's gonna be a tough old decision. Wish I could afford both!
    edited April 2022
    Cheers @Cryptid . That Dove - in GG Birmingham? I was in there last Thursday. That's where *my*Dove came from :) 
    Cryptid said:

Just tried one out and was blown away, what a guitar! It was a '94 100th Anniversary model with lacquer checking, fairly low frets (will need replacement in a few years) and pick guard that was lifting in the centre. I almost came home with it... but I don't know how I'd feel about drilling to fit a pickup or even taking it out the house to be honest.
    Don't worry about it, if you need to - it's a modern guitar, not an antique.

They also have a maple neck, which means it's one of the few Gibson guitars I'm not worried about gigging from a headstock-break point of view...

The lifting pickguard is an issue though - the celluloid plastic warps, and it can be difficult to get glue under them and stick them down again properly.

Mellish said:
    Cheers @Cryptid . That Dove - in GG Birmingham? I was in there last Thursday. That's where *my*Dove came from :) 
    Yep that's the one. It's haunting me, but...

ICBM said:
    The lifting pickguard is an issue though - the celluloid plastic warps, and it can be difficult to get glue under them and stick them down again properly.
    The pickguard is quite badly domed. I'm confident I could remove it and the glue residue with naptha and dental floss (have done so on a Hummingbird before) but there's no guarantee I could get the guard flat enough to prevent it happening again. From a quick search, replacement Dove pickguards are hard to get hold of and ridiculously expensive. 

That, the frets, and the fact it's had a quite messy nut replacement makes me think I'll leave this particular one. I'm sure I'll own one at some point... fantastic guitars. 
    @Cryptid ; I think you're still OK mate, I don't think mine is a 100th Anniversary. Gorgeous case that comes with it, plush velvet inner with double neck support :) 
    @Mellish Did you have a play of the anni, or did it come in after your visit?
    edited April 2022
    @Cryptid ;;;I didn't see it mate tbh. I think it must have come in later. Mine was high up the wall right in the corner. They had some Gibson Studio models displayed below it...... But that 100th Anniversary you've described seems to need work! Tbh, if it was me, I'd try to find a better example. The pickguard needs sorting, possible nut replacement... But if you like how it sounds, and you can live with the work, fine. Let us know the outcome  
    So, first gig with the Dove last night. Much easier to play than the HD-28 Reimagined I had - which I loved, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't right for me......it might be me, but I think the headstock allows more nut break angle than I got with the Martin. All in all, I'm happy :) 
    edited April 2022
    @Mellish Glad to hear the Dove had its first outing and you're happy mate. Do you play gigs close to Birmingham? 

I reckon I could sort the pickguard on that Anni and the nut does the job - just a shame it wasn't a neater replacement on such a collector's piece. It sounds unbelievably good and if it was a grand less I'd consider it but there's too much work to be done for the asking price. 

A Dove will have to wait as I got a great deal on a 2011 SJ-200 Studio (maple) last night, plus, I'll also be trying out the Sheryl Crow Country & Western Supreme tomorrow at GG. Could it be... two Gibson acoustics in one week? grimace 
    edited April 2022
    @Cryptid ; no, I don't gig out as far as Brum mate. I'm south Lincolnshire. I gig mainly two nights each week.......looks like a J-200 or a Sherryl then. Hope it works for ya