Gibson Dove

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    It's a P O L I S H =) 

Wow, there's a reminder of a long and distant past. I got to meet him in Gdansk in the bad old 80's. What feels like a very different world in some ways and yet with recent events, not so much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    artiebear said:
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    It's a P O L I S H =) 

Wow, there's a reminder of a long and distant past. I got to meet him in Gdansk in the bad old 80's. What feels like a very different world in some ways and yet with recent events, not so much. 
    Great story about meeting him. Any chance of sharing it?
    artiebear said:
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    It's a P O L I S H  

While playing a few dates in Poland in the mid 80’s ( they were just starting to allow the odd western act to tour to placate the masses after a lot of unrest ) I met the secretary of solidarity after a gig in Gdańsk and ended up dodging my official minders and going for a drink back at an apartment in the city. After talking through the night about the situation ( there had just been more shipyard riots ) the next morning I had the honour of being introduced to the man himself.

I got into a lot of trouble for disappearing which took our management  a certain amount of smoothing over, especially as I had to keep very quiet about the company I had been keeping. Looking back it hardly seems real now but my memories of the world under the red flag are mostly grim due to the things we saw.and experienced. The Polish people were amazing and resilient and would not give in. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Very cool. Meeting Ronnie Barker in Gdansk! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jellyroll said:
    Very cool. Meeting Ronnie Barker in Gdansk! 
    not many jokes at the time, or now if you have a grasp of history. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    artiebear said:
    artiebear said:
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    It's a P O L I S H  

While playing a few dates in Poland in the mid 80’s ( they were just starting to allow the odd western act to tour to placate the masses after a lot of unrest ) I met the secretary of solidarity after a gig in Gdańsk and ended up dodging my official minders and going for a drink back at an apartment in the city. After talking through the night about the situation ( there had just been more shipyard riots ) the next morning I had the honour of being introduced to the man himself.

I got into a lot of trouble for disappearing which took our management  a certain amount of smoothing over, especially as I had to keep very quiet about the company I had been keeping. Looking back it hardly seems real now but my memories of the world under the red flag are mostly grim due to the things we saw.and experienced. The Polish people were amazing and resilient and would not give in. 
    Thanks for sharing. Great experience too.