bottom B feels floppy (compare to E) and rattles a bit. Action is 3mm

fitted strings are
DR Strings HI-DEF NEON™ - WHITE coloured Bass Strings: 5-String Medium 45-125

Would 135 be better on the Bottom B?

If I replace them, it will be with flatwounds
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    It depends on the construction of the string - it's hard to say one gauge will necessarily be better than another. Flatwounds especially can seem to be 'smaller' gauges than you would expect.

Given the different scale lengths for each string, you might even be better having a custom set made by someone like Newtone. If not, you probably just need extra long scale, which limits you to something like these...

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34#t926:t945:t1023

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24252
    DR Neons are awful no matter what the gauge.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    factory spec is:

• PRODUCT CODE: SRFF805
    • 901.7MM/35.5 INCH; SCALE AT 5TH STRING:
    • 864.0MM/34.0 INCH SCALE AT 1ST STRING:
    • STRING GAUGE: .045/.065/.085/.105/.130
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    The spec on my Sire M5 says it has a scale length of 35 inches. It still has the roundwound strings it came with so I don't know the make. But having measured them with vernier calipers, they appear to be equivalent to the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 5 string bass gauge, meaning a 0.130 inch low B. 

I raised the action a bit so it's about 3.5mm measured to the bottom of the low B at the 12th fret, without any obvious rattles at normal playing strength.  It feels OK to me. 

It's not a competition.
    factory spec is:

PRODUCT CODE: SRFF805
    • 901.7MM/35.5 INCH; SCALE AT 5TH STRING:
    • 864.0MM/34.0 INCH SCALE AT 1ST STRING:
    • STRING GAUGE: .045/.065/.085/.105/.130
    It's impossible to tell what the equivalent tension in a set of flatwounds is though - it's perfectly possible to have two wound strings of the same gauge but very different tensions, because the tension is carried by the core which can be different gauges, but the outer diameter is made up of the core plus the wrap. With flatwounds, most have at least two wraps so it's even more complicated.

Unless you can find tension charts for the strings in question on those scale lengths, you're going to have to guess really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I think the DR set is   045 .065 .085 .105 .125
    Why is the bottom string thinner than normal?
    Even on this fan-fret, it's noticeably lower tension, and flaps around
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thinner has nothing to do with tension.

DR pick a 125 for a B string for all their standard 45 sets.

Unless you buy a custom set or a set of specifically Balanced Tension strings then the tension across the fingerboard starts high with the G and gets lower to the E and B.
    Thats just the way string makers have done it for decades.

I’ve never liked DR for B strings irrespective of gauge. I’ve always gone back to D’addario steels for 5 strings. You can see tension charts on the d’addario website if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

But if you are looking at flats then it gets even more complicated. Rotosound Monel  flats are very high tension for the same gauge as other strings because the core is different. At the other end the wonderful Thomastik Ti flats are very flexible. Everybody else is in between those two.

Just don’t get hung up about the thickness of the string when deciding. Gauge has nothing to do with it.

Dogal and Galli make some non-metal core bass strings and they are so flexible you could use them as shoelaces even though they are still a 45 gauge set.

Do not buy Rotosound flat B strings though. Awful things. Such a dead sound and not in a Jamerson way either.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Flat wounds on a 5.... are you sure? I like the growl of a roundwound especially on the E & B. Either way souds like you may want a .135 on there or a .130 and jack up the action a tad.

Tried the Daddario groundwounds? A 125 on the B there would feel stiffer for sure. 
    Thomastik flats on a 5 are excellent. 

This is a 32-30 scale fan fret.

Starts with both pickups and then goes to the bridge.

https://youtu.be/ffRoKksKSD0

edited April 2022
    Flat wounds on a 5.... are you sure? I like the growl of a roundwound especially on the E & B. Either way souds like you may want a .135 on there or a .130 and jack up the action a tad.

Tried the Daddario groundwounds? A 125 on the B there would feel stiffer for sure. 
    I put flatwound Fenders on my 4 string, which I like
    Maybe this one should have roundwound for a change, I dunno, not very knowledgeable on basses.
    Some reviews say this bass is too dull with flatwounds

this DR set is messed up though, the B is far looser than all the others, even though its scale length is longer
    Maybe I should buy some strings for this in the USA in the summer when I'm there. Are they any cheaper there?

Unless you buy a custom set or a set of specifically Balanced Tension strings then the tension across the fingerboard starts high with the G and gets lower to the E and B.

I’ve never liked DR for B strings irrespective of gauge. I’ve always gone back to D’addario steels for 5 strings. You can see tension charts on the d’addario website if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

But if you are looking at flats then it gets even more complicated. Rotosound Monel  flats are very high tension for the same gauge as other strings because the core is different. At the other end the wonderful Thomastik Ti flats are very flexible. Everybody else is in between those two.

Just don’t get hung up about the thickness of the string when deciding. Gauge has nothing to do with it.

Dogal and Galli make some non-metal core bass strings and they are so flexible you could use them as shoelaces even though they are still a 45 gauge set.

Do not buy Rotosound flat B strings though. Awful things. Such a dead sound and not in a Jamerson way either.

This DR 125 B  on 35.5 inch scale length is very floppy compared to the shorter E 105. I think DR must have messed up

This DR 125 B  on 35.5 inch scale length is very floppy compared to the shorter E 105. I think DR must have messed up
    Unless you’ve got a faulty string it’s not messing up, it’s just a different choice / approach.

DR do 2 different Medium versions of their sets. The choice is a 125 or a 130.

Just different choices.
    edited April 2022

Just different choices.
    aahhhh
    I could buy a 130 then

Except can't see any above 125 here:
    Neon Bass Strings | DR Strings | Official Site
    edited April 2022
    Interestingly I thought my 5-string Ibanez sounded best with DR nickel Lo-Riders for the top four and a stainless steel Lo-Rider 130 for the B, which I got by mistake but tried anyway. The stainless string was tighter-sounding and better balanced tonally with the nickel higher strings - although it did feel odd.

Just different choices.
    aahhhh
    I could buy a 130 then

Neons are basically made in limited numbers with fewer choices compared to the other DR strings because 

1: more people want normal strings
    2: Neons are crap in every way and the coating starts coming off after about a week.

Just different choices.
    aahhhh
    I could buy a 130 then

Neons are basically made in limited numbers with fewer choices compared to the other DR strings because 

1: more people want normal strings
    2: Neons are crap in every way and the coating starts coming off after about a week.
    Looks like I'll be buying a new set soon

I'm mostly a fan of the dub bass sound, like Bill Laswell, and most Reggae bassists in terms of what I'd want to record myself
    Of course I am a big fan of Pino and Tony Levin, but don't expect to ever sound like those guys, I'm essentially a guitarist dabbling with bass

I put tapewounds on my Nanyo Japanese 4 string, which I like. 
    Fender 9050 4-String Stainless Steel Flatwound Bass Strings - 45-105, I got them for about £12 years ago. I've been surprised to see current bass string prices

Some reviews for my new bass say that tapewounds are too dull for it. I have no experience on which to base opinions for different bass strings. Maybe I should just get normal roundwounds and use the EQ. Are any cheap bass strings worth considering? Am I likely to be trying several types of strings, or is there a vanilla solution that I'm bound to find acceptable?

Levin almost always uses Ernie nickel rounds in a very heavy gauge 55-110 I think, and the Ernie Group flats when needed.

Pino uses Thomastik Ti flats mostly, but will use pretty much anything else depending on the need for the song. He used EB Cobalt Flatwounds for The Who, and also uses Roto steel rounds. His signature Fender comes with Thomastik flats.

Strings make a massive difference on bass. Far more than on guitar so I’m afraid it’s just trying some to see what you like.

however, people do buy and sell used bass strings because they last. Many varieties come up on Basschat. So you can save a few quid while you are trying.

Bass strings are expensive, but as long as you are not looking for that brand new clank all the time, then they will last for years.

Ive never got less than 5 years out of a set of Thomastik flats.
    Just remembered, Pino also used the 1954 / Jamerson La Bella flatwounds for his stuff in D’angelo’s Voodoo album. Everything on that is tuned a tone down.

Those La Bella flats might be the highest tension string in the universe at concert pitch. I bailed out of putting them on a bass when the neck was already moving badly with only 3 strings on!

Ultimately though, Pino has been around for decades and has used everything.