Yamaha LL500

What's Hot
GomersGomers Frets: 17
Very rare guitar I know, wondered whether any of the FB fraternity had any thoughts or experiences with the LL400/500 ?
2008 Martin 000-15
 2004 Yamaha LL-500
1995 Yamaha LA-8
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    If you have a chance of one, get it ! Great build and reputation. As long as you are within the acceptable range for the condition of the guitar, you cannot lose. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    In 1998 99 when I was buying  my Takamine FD 360 SC  I seriously looked at a Yamaha LL400
    im sure it was 400 ,it had an external preamp that you plugged in , it was absolutely amazing 
    I played it at a mansions guitar show in Exeter  absolute quality .
    I only went with the takamine as the Eagles played. Them 
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    artiebear said:
    If you have a chance of one, get it ! Great build and reputation. As long as you are within the acceptable range for the condition of the guitar, you cannot lose. 
    Got one !!!  Managed to track down an LL500, not cheap mind.  A one owner guitar in almost NOS condition as he only played it a handful of times, stings have been on it for the last 16 years and are black with crud in places but it still sounds ace.  
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    Gomers said:
    artiebear said:
    Got one !!!  Managed to track down an LL500, not cheap mind.  A one owner guitar in almost NOS condition as he only played it a handful of times, stings have been on it for the last 16 years and are black with crud in places but it still sounds ace.  
    Congrats, Absolutely great guitars. The fact that Yamaha know how to build a guitar to last will help you to keep it right for years to come. Stick some pics up when you have it cleaned and sorted. Would love to see it.
    artiebear said:
    Gomers said:
    artiebear said:
    Congrats, Absolutely great guitars. The fact that Yamaha know how to build a guitar to last will help you to keep it right for years to come. Stick some pics up when you have it cleaned and sorted. Would love to see it.
    Thank you, will do.  It's in need of a set up to be fair, nut is too high and saddle could come down a touch too.  Just getting used to the fairly skinny neck with a hint of soft V about it.  It's very nicely built, bit disappointed with stacked heel though ! 

Restrung with some Martin 80/20 Lights and it sounds very promising.  Will probably go with 80/20s going forward as it's already a sparkly sounding thing that Phosphor Bronze might just tip over the edge.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Wouldn’t 80/20s sound brighter than PBs? At least until they wear in
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Gomers ; if you haven't yet, try Martin MA-140.They're 80/20 12-54 :) 
    edited May 2022
    Gomers said:
    artiebear said:
    Gomers said:
    artiebear said:
    Thank you, will do.  It's in need of a set up to be fair, nut is too high and saddle could come down a touch too.  Just getting used to the fairly skinny neck with a hint of soft V about it.  It's very nicely built, bit disappointed with stacked heel though ! 

Restrung with some Martin 80/20 Lights and it sounds very promising.  Will probably go with 80/20s going forward as it's already a sparkly sounding thing that Phosphor Bronze might just tip over the edge.
    Re the stacked heel. It might surprise you that quite a few seriously high end boutique builders favour this design. It comes from the very best tradition of top classical builders going way back and done right is an incredibly strong and transmissive joint. 

I have noticed that the hand built stuff coming out of Yamaha's custom shop often have elements coming from the classical tradition of building.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mellish said:
    @Gomers ; if you haven't yet, try Martin MA-140.They're 80/20 12-54 :) 
    Yep, they're the ones I put on, liking the sound but a little on the stiff side, probably down to the stock set-up more than the strings themselves.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    artiebear said:
    Gomers said:
    artiebear said:
    Gomers said:
    artiebear said:

Re the stacked heel. It might surprise you that quite a few seriously high end boutique builders favour this design. It comes from the very best tradition of top classical builders going way back and done right is an incredibly strong and transmissive joint. 

I have noticed that the hand built stuff coming out of Yamaha's custom shop often have elements coming from the classical traction of building.
    Funny you should say that, I've been thinking of getting a new custom made acoustic and if I did I would ask for a stacked heel.  I have a nice flamenco guitar, and it has a stacked heel and so far it has been very stable so far. 

The guitar which had the most stable neck of any guitar I owned was a cheap Yamaha FS (maybe 720).  Their higher range models have laminated necks, so I imagine they are even more stable.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited May 2022
    stacked heel = often much stronger/more stable  (when its done well and aesthetically pleasing :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Appreciate the info on the stacked heel, I wasn't aware of the constructional benefits.  I know all the current high-end LL/LS models also have stacked heel although curiously, the previous non-ARE versions were all one-piece, albeit 5-ply neck construction.  I shall sweat it no more, eagerly anticipating what a good set-up will bring.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    if you really want to "google"   stacked heel  etc............. you'll get reams of  "good vs bad" shit from various (mostly US) based forums/sites
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    if you really want to "google"   stacked heel  etc............. you'll get reams of  "good vs bad" shit from various (mostly US) based forums/sites
    Have just done that very thing and have emerged from the infinite rabbit hole.....Oh Man !  I'm absolutely fine with it, thank you very much ☝️

Meanwhile, the LL-500 is in for a set up, further news next week.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    LL500 back from a mild set up last week. All good, the saddle was deemed ok, so the truss rod had a tweak and the nut slots were lowered.  Not a massive difference to be honest but the subtle changes have improved playability somewhat.

The 3 week old Martin 80/20s were left on too.  I've had thoughts about strings going forward but really a bit sanguine about trying a load of different strings on it.  The overall sound I would describe as crystalline and crispy, if we have to use a Martin yardstick here, it has loads more clarity without the dulled but robust bottom end you get with all Martins.  Will try Martin Monels on it just out of curiosity, I do love those strings for feel and sound on my 000-15.  Want to try PBs on it too but think my go-to D'addario EJ16 will enhance the brightness too much.  Hopeful with the Monels in this respect.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    edited May 2022
    @Gomers ; - you could try EJ16 with ebony bridge pins to tame the brightness, or try to. 

Hope you find what works for you mate. Good luck

BTW, who did you get to do a setup? 
    Mellish said:
    @Gomers ; - you could try EJ16 with ebony bridge pins to tame the brightness, or try to. 

Hope you find what works for you mate. Good luck

BTW, who did you get to do a setup? 
    @Mellish ;https://www.arenastudio.co.uk/guitar-repairs/
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    @Gomers ; - happy with what they've done? :) 
    Mellish said:
    @Gomers ; - happy with what they've done? :) 
    Yeah, it was only very minor work required, he only charged me 50% of a full set up.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8