Guitar Course Recommendation

What's Hot

After a decent online course.  I've done various truefire lessons so looking for a bit more in depth and perhaps a bit of 2 way communication.

Styles - Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock - most things really. 

Would perhaps like to develop a bit more speed and refresh chord / harmony knowledge.  I'm not really into shred but as long as there's musical context and things can be adapted I'll try anything.

II was thinking perhaps Artist works, I think the feedback element would be good for me, or at least the pressure to complete something.  I thought about a local teacher but most tend to be beginner / intermediate.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited April 2022
    TrueFire have a couple of offerings that might be up your street.

They have 'Channels' hosted by various teachers. Depending on your level of subscription, you get access to a library of pre-recorded material, one video exchange lesson a month or even unlimited video exchange lessons.

I was in Sheryl Bailey's Bebop Dojo for a couple of years and it was extremely useful. So often I would upload a minute or two of my playing an assignment and within 24 hours I would get back a 10 minute + video from Sheryl offering feedback and suggesting new assignments, which might include referring to the library of video material.

Jason Loughlin is also great and his channel The Speakeasy looks at country, jazz and blues.

https://truefire.com/channels

A number of those Truefire teachers also offer one-off video lessons, so that might be a good way to try a few people and find the best fit for you. The page is tucked away on the Truefire site: https://truefire.com/private-lessons

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4687
    Bebopper said:
    TrueFire have a couple of offerings that might be up your street.

They have 'Channels' hosted by various teachers. Depending on your level of subscription, you get access to a library of pre-recorded material, one video exchange lesson a month or even unlimited video exchange lessons.

I was in Sheryl Bailey's Bebop Dojo for a couple of years and it was extremely useful. So often I would upload a minute or two of my playing an assignment and within 24 hours I would get back a 10 minute + video from Sheryl offering feedback and suggesting new assignments, which might include referring to the library of video material.

Jason Loughlin is also great and his channel The Speakeasy looks at country, jazz and blues.

https://truefire.com/channels

A number of those Truefire teachers also offer one-off video lessons, so that might be a good way to try a few people and find the best fit for you. The page is tucked away on the Truefire site: https://truefire.com/private-lessons

Good suggestion.  I've not actually looked at truefire for a while, beyond the app and courses I'd downloaded, so wasn't aware of the channels.  I'll check these out.  I have one of Jason Loughlin's videos which was great so will check the channel out.

Thanks!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Artistworks is awesome but the schools are genre-specific so to cover the range you say you're interested I'm not sure it would be very practical (and would also be mega bucks).
    Lewy said:
    Artistworks is awesome but the schools are genre-specific so to cover the range you say you're interested I'm not sure it would be very practical (and would also be mega bucks).
    Which have you tried and recommend?  I'm happy to concentrate on one style, for a course then I'll integrate it into my playing.

I'll never be a wholly country, or Jazz, or blues guitar player so just after new doors to be opened. 

One thing at a time, will get my head in that space for a few months.  Just after quality courses/tuition that will get me thinking.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Lewy said:
    Which have you tried and recommend?  I'm happy to concentrate on one style, for a course then I'll integrate it into my playing.

I'll never be a wholly country, or Jazz, or blues guitar player so just after new doors to be opened. 

One thing at a time, will get my head in that space for a few months.  Just after quality courses/tuition that will get me thinking.
    I’ve done Bryan Sutton’s Bluegrass school which is amazing if you’re into that sort of thing. Guthrie Trapp’s electric country has a great syllabus but he takes 4 weeks plus to reply to video exchanges which I think is piss poor. Keith Wyatt’s blues school is great and usually responds to video exchanges in a Day which means you can really get some good back and forth going. He’s more at the traditional end of electric blues. 
  • PALPAL Frets: 533
    Try and find a good guitar tutor who help you work on what you feel you need to work on . I don't see the point in
      paying for a course which will include what you already know.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Try Tim Lerch, Melodic Jazz Guitar. Book or PDF with video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    greejn said:
    Try Tim Lerch, Melodic Jazz Guitar. Book or PDF with video.
    Good call, I do really like Tim’s playing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Full of great info, probably the only thing you need to learn jazz guitar!