Dug some keyboards out today.

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
edited May 2022 in Other Instruments
Pulled a few things out from the pile this morning...

https://i.imgur.com/NYgKjNm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZxIRwGB.jpg

I’d forgotten I had more than one of these:

Can’t get to my Hammond and Leslie at the moment, though. I’m pretty sure there are quite a few more - Roland SH-1000, Korg Micro-Preset, various String synths, etc. There’s a Juno-D and an SH-201 too. Oh, and a huge Elka X-705.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18725
    edited May 2022
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    Mr @HarrySeven, you have some incredibly cool stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Lifting all this stuff beats going to a gym
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4138
    Those Juno’s 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672

Roland said:

I once depped for a band where the keyboard player used a Hammond B-3. I carelessly said I'd arrive early to give them a hand with loading in.

NEVER AGAIN...that organ had it's own gravity, it was so heavy.

I got my cash and left ASAP once the gig ended. There was no way I was helping with that thing again. Judge me all you like, but if you'd been in the same situation, you'd have done the same.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2629
    I had to google the Philicorda - it was developed by Tom Dissevelt and Dick Raaijmakers (a.k.a. Kid Baltan), who were making tape-based electro pop in the late 50s under the name Electrosoniks (their Electronic Music EP was my introduction to that sort of thing - like the Dr Who theme, but earlier and groovier -  as it was hanging around the house when I was very small). Anyway, I'm impressed. What does it sound like?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Aren’t those Juno G’s a bit modern for you Harry?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    As long as they don’t sound like Jan Hammer… :smile: 

vasselmeyer said:
    Roland said: Lifting all this stuff beats going to a gym
    I once depped for a band where the keyboard player used a Hammond B-3. I carelessly said I'd arrive early to give them a hand with loading in.
    I got my cash and left ASAP once the gig ended. There was no way I was helping with that thing again. Judge me all you like, but if you'd been in the same situation, you'd have done the same.
    In the early days of The Selecter the keyboard player had a Hammond and none of them had a car that could take it. So they could only use it for gigs that it could be wheeled to from his house; some photos somewhere of the band pushing the Hammond through the streets of Coventry. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Yes, but I’m bearing it bravely! 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Currently fannying around with this beast:

https://i.imgur.com/AqLQAkU.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I had to google the Philicorda - it was developed by Tom Dissevelt and Dick Raaijmakers (a.k.a. Kid Baltan), who were making tape-based electro pop in the late 50s under the name Electrosoniks (their Electronic Music EP was my introduction to that sort of thing - like the Dr Who theme, but earlier and groovier -  as it was hanging around the house when I was very small). Anyway, I'm impressed. What does it sound like?
    Like the future in 1964. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yes, but I’m bearing it bravely! 
    They are pretty good, and they do a good impression of some of the vintage junos 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3665

Roland said:

I had a Yamaha CS80 for a while. 

Def. a 4 person lift!  Neutron Star weight.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206

A CS-80 - bloody hell!

I'm guessing that you're either Vangelis or Eddie Jobson as I think they were the only people in the world that could afford one (and the crew to lift it).

Still, if you pay as much as a medium-sized house for a synth, it makes sense that it should at least weigh as much as one. Sort of.

It must have been quite interesting to own one of the holy grail synths.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    That Juno 6 is worth a fortune now.
    I had one mid 90's and sold it for about £300 when I relocated to the UK.
    Basher said:

A CS-80 - bloody hell!

Still, if you pay as much as a medium-sized house for a synth

There was a time when you couldn’t give ‘em away, same as Mellotrons, Jupiter 8’s, blahblahblah. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Basher said:

A CS-80 - bloody hell!

Still, if you pay as much as a medium-sized house for a synth

There was a time when you couldn’t give ‘em away, same as Mellotrons, Jupiter 8’s, blahblahblah. 
    I know. Once the DX7 came out you could pick up most of Tangerine Dream's live modular setup for less than a pound, and still have change for a bag of chips.

I always wanted a Jupiter 8 but never quite had the cash, even in the post-FM world of cheezy electric piano and flutey leads. Came this close (holds thumb and index finger almost together) to buying a used Jupiter 6 but bought some stupid guitar instead. Ah well, you live and learn. (Or don't learn, in my case.)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Yes but I’m bearing it bravely! 
    Does the screen on that one work properly?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Yes but I’m bearing it bravely! 
    Does the screen on that one work properly?
    No. :(

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3665
    edited May 2022
    Basher said:

A CS-80 - bloody hell!

I'm guessing that you're either Vangelis or Eddie Jobson as I think they were the only people in the world that could afford one (and the crew to lift it).

Still, if you pay as much as a medium-sized house for a synth, it makes sense that it should at least weigh as much as one. Sort of.

I got it in the mid 80’s when everyone on the pro circuit went digital and the Junos, Jupiters, DXs and their ilk did similar things but lighter and cheaper.   I was actually more fascinated by the potential of my Yamaha CX5 computer/synth/sequencer at the time to synch stuff with midi.  A Fairlight experience on the cheap!

The CS80 portamento strip was the really cool, genius feature but the main issue with it was the tuning was always drifting as it warmed up.   It was just redundant old tech at the time.  The holy grail stuff is just a modern creation. I think people imagine it as mega rich and warm.. but i found it quite thin and buzzy and the ring modulator was OTT. Needed external fx to get the full Vangelis thing going but the classic Blade Runner tones were all there, esp through an early Alesis digital reverb.

The weight, tuning issues and size made it impracticable for live use and it took up too much studio space. I gave it back.  Would buy a camper van today with it.

I do wonder what it would be like to rediscover it again now.  the Reface CS and modern equivalents do attract but then a Korg Prologue just sounds so much better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom