Earplugs?

GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
Have been using  etymotic ER20xs earplugs for a while, but I'm finding that for us, they attenuate just a bit too much. 

Is there anything in that area (i.e. cheap) that performs similarly well but knocks off a little less volume? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Not the cheapest option but if you get custom ones made then many of them have interchangeable filters. I paid about £100 for a pair which sounds a lot but compared to the cost of your other kit, and bearing in mind what’s at stake, it’s a bargain really. I just wish I had done it twenty years ago and I might not have this awful tinnitus.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Give Reed audio a shout…
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Etymotic do other filters which cut out less of the sound. I use etymotics when chainsawing because they cut out almost everything. For other uses, where I need a reasonably level volume reduction across the spectrum, but still hear what people are saying, I use ACS moulded silicone plugs.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Roland said:

I use ACS moulded silicone plugs.
    The issue I found with the acs plugs is when you sing or even talk they deform as your jaw moves… it gives you a momentary jump in volume.

the Reed ones are hard plastic and don’t do that… but… they are a bit more uncomfy to start with…
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Yes. My IEMs are hard plastic for that reason
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Cheapo, Alpine Music Safe Pro. I think they're about £25 now, and come with swappable filters for different levels of cut. 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 104
    edited May 2022
    Vic Firth are a good level of attenuation.