New bass day

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
I've been looking for a cheap P-ish bass for a while and this seemed to tick all the boxes. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but it plays very nicely. And it's bright red. Wooo! 

bass2.jpg 1.7M
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1410
    1) Yeah! Get yer Kim Deal on.

2) Are those TM flats on there? Score if so.

3)HNBD!!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Excellent! :D 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    They're not flats, sadly, but they are nice and old.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    That's *much* better than just a "cheap P-ish bass". It's a proper classic in its own right, very well made, and probably the best model in the range - the more expensive 1A active version had electrics which are probably best described as a bit dated now. You simply cannot go wrong with a P pickup, volume and tone controls.

The intonation is off and the strings need putting on properly though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    *rubs hands* 

Excellent! And it was cheap, so that's doubly excellent.
    Aha! It looks like it's been played left-handed. That would explain the weird intonation settings ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes, someone has attached and then removed a second strap button on the other horn. Well spotted!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    edited May 2022
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes, someone has attached and then removed a second strap button on the other horn. Well spotted!
    You'll not get much past @ICBM

Also I meant to say above, but I forgot, but the colour is excellent. I really like bright red in general (there's something "happy" about it, if you know what I mean), and you're right, it looks really good in that bass particularly. I think the gold sets it off very nicely, too.
    Well, I fixed the intonation, plugged it in and recorded some bass and I'm loving it so far. You can get such a range of sounds simply by varying the position of the right hand, it makes me wonder why any bass really needs more than one pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Stuckfast said:
    Well, I fixed the intonation, plugged it in and recorded some bass and I'm loving it so far. You can get such a range of sounds simply by varying the position of the right hand, it makes me wonder why any bass really needs more than one pickup.
    BURN HIM!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Stuckfast said:
    it makes me wonder why any bass really needs more than one pickup?
    Somebody, give this person a copy of Jaco Pastorius' eponymous first album!

ICBM said:
    That's *much* better than just a "cheap P-ish bass". It's a proper classic in its own right, very well made and probably the best model in the range.
    I'm so old that I can remember when Westone Thunder bass guitars first appeared. The originals were Sen/Ash in a natural finish. I rather liked that because it meant that there was no laminate hidden away.

ICBM said:
    the more expensive 1A active version had electrics which are probably best described as a bit dated now.
    You are being far too kind. 

I remember the 1A treble and bass controls as - in the words of Vivian Stanshall - "sudden and alarming". 

Once the pots got cronky, the EQ was even less usable. Back in the day, the sensible option was to use the bypass switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Stuckfast said:
    BURN HIM!!!!
    Ha, I freely confess to not being a proper bass player. But the bass this has replaced had two pickups and I struggled to get one good sound from it.
    Stuckfast said: 
    the bass this has replaced had two pickups and I struggled to get one good sound from it.
    Come off it. Even a Rickenbacker manages one good sound. :-p
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Stuckfast said: 
    the bass this has replaced had two pickups and I struggled to get one good sound from it.
    Come off it. Even a Rickenbacker manages one usable sound. :-p
    FTFY

:D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wot? No bites yet? 
    lol

Actually I mostly agree... I rarely use anything other than the 'treble' pickup. I do very occasionally use the neck pickup with the tone turned down for that 60s thud bass sound, but I could live without it. (The treble tone has been converted into a rotary 'vintage cap' control, otherwise I could use that.)

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2259
    Nice. I have an eye out for a similar one  but quite fancy black.