Another Partsacaster S Style build!

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
edited May 2022 in Making & Modding
I jumped head first into the Oil City strat pickup offer. Initially I was going to put the pickups into my Cruiser strat. That seemed to be a bit of a waste.

So I decided to build another S type guitar. I was going to buy a mexican strat and just swap the pickups out, as that would have worked out cheaper than buying it bit by bit. Although I'm in idiot so decided to build another partsacaster.

I built one a few years ago, I have a good friend who does incredible relic jobs (he did the Rossi wedding gift Telecaster for me). And he painted a gorgeous two piece body for me in blonde. I spent way too much on that guitar, callaham trem, jeff beck wiring loom and locking klusons etc. It had a huge all parts neck, which was a bit of a beast. I thought during lockdown "why do i have two strats?" and sold it back to him.

So like an idiot I'm doing the same thing again. Obviously now it's more expensive than 2015

So far I've bought

An allparts large headstock maple neck
A two piece baseball bat ash sss body
And the Oil City Pickups.

I want to try and keep the costs down this time around, as last time I went a bit bonkers. So I'm thinking, a reasonably cheap scratchplate, a wilkinson (possibly Gotoh) vintage trem, Vintage looking tuners and then that's it. I am thinking about just applying tru oil to the neck and then asking my friend to do a Olympic White relic job. Then it's a keeper!
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited May 2022
    @DrJazzTap ;
    Ive got a white, single ply 8 hole SSS scratchplate Im willing to donate to the cause, pm me your address if you want it..I was going to post it in the Paying it Forward topic….so, its yours if its of use…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    edited May 2022
    I’ve got a Wilkinson 6 screw trem if you want it ? It’s the one with the steel block, push in arm and 5+1 hole arrangement 
    same as Paul I was going to stick it in the Pay It Forward thread 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Thanks for the offer guys. If you don't mind I wouldn't mind the wilkinson trem @DrBob ;
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Yes of course, message me your address and I’ll get it off to you
    So far I've got 

A set of lovely oil city stone tones 
    A two piece baseball ash body from guitarbuild and
    An allparts large headstock with a bullet truss rod 7.25 radius. 
    Oh and the lovely wilkinson trem unit from drbob 

I was thinking about going down the Olympic white route....but I've found a guy near me who can spray sparkle finishes......so I'm  thinking possibly that way. Thinking either a bright sparkly lizard green or possibly a lpb with a matching headstock. I do like the purple sparkle, but that seems a bit in vogue atm. 
    edited July 2022
    Right I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about applying a finish.
    Like a numpty I've bored out the machine head holes a bit too much. So I've glued in the machine head ferrules.....but being a numpty I've done this prior to applying a finish. 

My mate seems to be super busy at the moment so I'm considering going down the stunning stains route  currently thinking of the crimson guitars vibrant stains lime green. And then finishing it with the oil.

I'm just a bit perplexed as to what to do with the neck. I want something satiny but sealed. Do I spray with Amber nitro or anything else? I was thinking of the montypresso stuff (but not sure if that seals it?). I do want to apply a logo at some point . And from what I can gather water decals aren't great over oil based finishes?
    I would use Tru Oil, easy, smooth, satiny.

I have seen a video of someone sealing a waterslide with it…..

https://youtu.be/9bSAID6nUYc

or lacquer the face or the headstock and Tru Oil the rest
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @paulnb57 thanks for that. I don't really want to get a can of nitro and a face mask to just do the headstock, which i have thought about. So I think i'll go down the tru oil route. I want to darken the neck a bit as at the moment it's a bit too blonde. I was thinking about the stunning stains butterscotch as it's only a couple of quid. Thanks for the video though, more internet rumours!
    edited July 2022
    I agree that Tru Oil can be a little pale, but I like the feel, gotta be sooo careful with stains as they can so easily be too yellow or god forbid too orange!…..

Ive had pretty good results with Halfords lacquer to seal a headstock transfer, its easy enough to mask the headstock and just lacquer the front, then stain and oil the rest

Something else Ive done is to paint the face of the heastock black, apply transfer, then lacquer and Tru Oil the rest

Okay so I've applied a couple of coats of the stunning stains to the body. And tbh it doesn't look great its quite patchy and I'm having trouble getting the stain to sink into certain areas. Namely the belly carve and around the horns. 

I'm at a point now where I'd like to do a natural oil finish. What's the best way of removing the stain? I was thinking about sanding it back with 320 by hand. .

I did buy a small bottle of the stunning shots amber. So if a little purple had remained in the grain, theoretically I could stain over it with some amber? Although I'm guessing I'd get some weird mossy green colour? Ah!
  • Exactly that - provided you havent overdone it with the stain, you should be able to sand it out. Depending on the wood, most of the time it doesn't penetrate very far at all.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.