Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    It's a steel stringed dreadnought acoustic guitar.

But not a Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited May 2022
    as a side note,   I wonder what is the deciding factor for when a bridge has the narrow bit towards the sound hole and when its towards the end 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5406
    Surely this is a fraud in progress.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    bertie said:
    as a side note,   I wonder what is the deciding factor for when a bridge has the narrow bit towards the sound hole and when its towards the end
    From a physics point of view, the one that looks “odd” because it’s by far the less common way of doing it, is in fact better - it distributes the force more evenly across the top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:
    From a physics point of view, the one that looks “odd” because it’s by far the less common way of doing it, is in fact better - it distributes the force more evenly across the top.
    but it is also more likely to split along the pin holes
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:
    but it is also more likely to split along the pin holes
    less wood "behind"  them ?    
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    bertie said:

Think it depends on which side the slot for the saddle has been cut. My preference is for the slot to be closer to the sound hole. 

HTH

:lol:
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    Call me Mr. Stupid from Stupidville but why is this not a Hummingbird with no pickguard? Never owned a Hummingbird but have hankered after one and would be genuinely interested to know what gives this away as a fake. Only Gibson I have ever had was a Gibson Mark 35.

Give me a list, correct my cosmic ignorance, and make me clever - or I might turn into a pumpkin!

:-)
    due to the bridge being "reversed"  -  is this one a fake then ?  
    https://reverb.com/item/52629304-gibson-hummingbird-1974-natural?bk=

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    bertie said:
    due to the bridge being "reversed"  -  is this one a fake then ?  
    https://reverb.com/item/52629304-gibson-hummingbird-1974-natural?bk=

Don't care. At £2899.00 it's not a bargain.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I've had two Hummingbirds, neither had that soundhole purfling IIRC or that binding around the edges.

I would also not expect to get a genuine 'Bird (Standard, Custom or Pro) for that price :) 
    @bertie ; Hummingbirds have a reversed bridge IIRC. I'm trying to remember back to the mid 70s when I had mine.

But you wouldn't get a Hummingbird for £155. Or if you could, it would have picked up some serious issues :) 
    @mellish ; -  yes mate, I meant "reversed from their normal"  not "reversed from everyone elses normal" =)   - so its a fake ?
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1089
    I don't know for sure, but the things that made me suspicious were the abalone rosette, number of binding plies, and what looks to be a scarfed headstock.
    @BigPaulie ; yep, I don't recall abalone around the soundhole. I'm fairly sure it wasn't there. I'd honestly pass on it mate :) 
    @bertie ; I'd say you'd be unwise to buy it believing  it's a Gibson, put it that way ;) 
    Mellish said:
    @bertie ; I'd say you'd be unwise to buy it believing  it's a Gibson, put it that way ;) 
    Id be unwise cos its a Dread  ;)   =)

LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    edited May 2022
    Just done interweb trawl. Yep. Abalone around soundhole alone would be unique for a Gibson Hummingbird (without looking through all the images on Google anyway!). There are such Hummingbirds but they always seem to have abalone purfling too.

And then there's the cost too. Although people don't always know what they're doing. I don't. :-)

Interesting.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1089
    Also interesting is the fact that the guitar is not listed as a Gibson, and the word "Gibson" is conspicuously absent from the description.
    The split parallelogram inlays might suggest Gibson to some, though that may not have been the intention of the builder.

In any event, it isn't :)