So what's this then?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bugilemanbugileman Frets: 56
    Chinese made acoustic. A few around, terrible build quality close up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    Is the Chinese economy still generating outright fake instruments? This one doesn't state age but has anyone come across any recent fakes? 

Faking has been going on forever of course. There are even fake Spanish classicals made in the 19th century purporting to be from the top luthiers of the time.

A fake has to be a definite attempt to mislead of course by label, sale details, or in this case headstock. For anyone apart from Gibson to put a Gibson logo on a headstock is just criminality. Obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    So much wrong with it it's almost difficult to know where to start, but if I had to I would say that the scarf-jointed headstock is an instant giveaway - Gibson have never done that. (Although it's possibly arguable that they should! But not with the join there, either...)

A couple of other very obvious ones -

The pale non-mahogany or laminated maple neck, with a wrong-shaped volute and heel.

Bridge the wrong shape with the saddle set too far back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom