Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    bertie said:
    its heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrre
    aaaannnnnndddd?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited May 2022
    OK - just upgraded the f/ware  -  leaving it now to fully charge...............  Mrs Berts on a call so no play just yet.

Im surprised just how small it actually is,  thought it might be a teensy bit bigger (couple of cms in each direction)  but it feels quality

The one BIG downside for me is that you cant use the "management app" on a windows PC/laptop  -   I hate using a phone for anything other than ............. phoning !!   
    But we shall see............................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    You have an old tablet lying around?
    edited May 2022
    You have an old tablet lying around?
    Im not feckin Moses..............

but yes, now you come to mention it........................... good shout that man   

EDIT

actually its not too bad/fiddly on the phone TBH
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think somebody wrote a PC editor for the Spark 40 - might work with the mini as well if the software is the same and the only difference is the hardware.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Thoughts? 
    Barnezy said:
    Thoughts? 
    havent had chance yet  (its a busy old life being "retired"  ;)  =) )
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2022
    I tried both the Spark 40 and the Mini today side by side (a friend has both).

I must say the Mini is very impressive and the sound from such a small thing is big and I think I preferred the sound of it when compared to the bigger 40 as it wasn't so boomy.

Whilst I appreciate the small size and real estate being at a premium for how many controls you can have, there was just too much faffing around on the phone for my liking and for that, I preferred the 40.

I'm also not sure of it's price point and would love to see it at the £150 or lower mark and I expect the price will drop over time

So, for now, I'm still in the Spark 40 camp and given a used one on here recently went for £150, that represents real value for money.
    OK - first proper chance Ive had to really explore - even tho it was 30 mins !!

and my conclusion so far is.

•  Love that its USB re-chargable

•  Love the sound to size ratio

•  Love the bluetoothable "jam tracks" 

•  I prefer the "plug and play"  knobs on the top of the THR

•  there are some good sounds to be had, but f*ck me its convoluted, and tho resonably intuitive, the phone based GUI, while might be OK for some,  its a PIA for what I want

•  dont give a flying fig for all the other "goodies"  like the trainer - etc 

I'll give it another "more in depth" go  to see what can be got - but at the moment its likely going to appear in the classifieds in two weeks 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't often use the app with my spark 40 - I've just got four patches set up that I like and pretty much just use the amp controls after that unless I'm messing about with weird sounds.
    But I suppose the 40 has physical knobs for effects, EQ, gain and stuff (and a amp type knob so each patch can be used with six different amps without needing the app). Looks like all you can do on the mini without the app is change the patch and volume.  So possibly you'd like the 40 more than the mini @bertie - but it's not battery powered and is a bit bigger and more expensive so you may as well stick with the Yamaha if you've already got one.
    edited May 2022
    I don't often use the app with my spark 40 - I've just got four patches set up that I like and pretty much just use the amp controls after that unless I'm messing about with weird sounds.
    But I suppose the 40 has physical knobs for effects, EQ, gain and stuff (and a amp type knob so each patch can be used with six different amps without needing the app). Looks like all you can do on the mini without the app is change the patch and volume.  So possibly you'd like the 40 more than the mini @bertie - but it's not battery powered and is a bit bigger and more expensive so you may as well stick with the Yamaha if you've already got one.
    indeed mate - Ive no intention of getting the 40,  the only reason I tried the Mini was the wireless connectivity and USB rechargeable   -  sounds and ease of use the THR wins hands down
    Anyone received their "crimson grill" yet ?

Im defo going to sell mine, so wondering whether to hang on until it arrives
    sold

got £160