Explorer Bass - bridge height

AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
I've got an Epiphone Explorer bass with the barrel type saddles on the bridge.

I want to get the action a bit lower as it is a tad high, but the barrels are right down on the deck already. Neck relief is fine, no big upward bowing of the neck, it's not far off straight.

So, rather than trying to find a bridge that will let me get the string below about 12mm off body, I thought I would just take a millimetre or so off the bottom of the saddles. I can then wind them down a bit further.

Anyone done this? It seems it ought to work..... If it doesn't, I can still just set them back up at the height they were. They'll just have a small gap under them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Adey said:
    I thought I would just take a millimetre or so off the bottom of the saddles. I can then wind them down a bit further. 

Anyone done this?
    Yes. Leo Fender did it on the original "blackguard" electric guitars. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • PALPAL Frets: 515
    This will work but can reduce string tension across the bridge. I'm assuming it's a set neck if it was a bolt on then a shim
      might be the answer!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    PAL said:
    I'm assuming it's a set neck
    It is.

Adey said:
    … get the string below about 12mm off body …
    What, if anything, is the significance of 12mm? 

The Explorer body is a slab with no forearm contouring. It ought to be in the interests of playing comfort for the strings not to be ultra close to the flat top of the body.

My nearest uncontoured slab equivalent is an ol' RIC 4001. Edge of bridge pickup metal surround to bottom edge of low E string, 12mm. 

It might be wiser to change to a new bridge with slimmer saddles and overall height profile. e.g. Schaller 3D-4G.

Be seeing you.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    I did this on an old Kay bass that I restored, I took the original ones off and ground the bottoms flat on  some spare saddles I had , it worked a treat and allowed me to get a nice low action, I don’t know how to post pics or I would show you 
    Riddim up
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    I filed a couple of mm of the bottom of them all and got a much better plying action.

As it is a set neck I couldn't stick in a shim to help. With them wound all the way down the strings were about 14mm above the deck. Getting them to about 12mm is what was needed to get action down to where it worked better (for me).