• Nige458Nige458 Frets: 64
    edited May 2022
    @Philly_Q ; It is indeed....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ....also, The Dead Daisies
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 625
    The Traveling Wilburys (Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty) were all big names and not ones you would expect to see in a band at that stage of their careers. That is a real supergroup, not just men who had played in other bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    Litterick said:
    The Traveling Wilburys (Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty) were all big names and not ones you would expect to see in a band at that stage of their careers. That is a real supergroup, not just men who had played in other bands.
    Yes, I agree that the term Supergroup is applied too widely and if it is meant to have any kind of meaning it shouldn't really be applied to simply any group made up of people who have already been in other bands.
    Litterick said:
    Yes, I agree that the term Supergroup is applied too widely and if it is meant to have any kind of meaning it shouldn't really be applied to simply any group made up of people who have already been in other bands.
    To me, a "Supergroup" is a side project of artists who are all currently enjoying success in a current band or as a solo artist.
  • MrTee said:
    A Perfect circle
    Audioslave
    Mad season
    This, and Temple of the Dog
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited May 2022
    Would Gov't Mule count … especially in Deeper End concert mode?

If not, then I nominate Yellow Matter Custard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    Minor Victories

Ian
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Plenty of good examples above .. I had a soft spot for the original lineup of UK (lasted one album) and Asia (first album only).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 44
    edited August 2022
    1. CSN / CSNY

2. Marvin, Welch and Farrar

3. Kooper, Bloomfield and Stills

4. McGuinn, Hillman and Clark

5. Cropper, King and Staples

6. Travelling Wilburys 

The first 5 are bands and not law firms believe it or not. All brilliant stuff. 
  • Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3. Basically RH fronting late era REM. They were wonderful live and made some great records too.
    I saw them at the Waterfront in Norwich which was only about 2/3rds full. I could barely contain my excitement about what I witnessed. It was utterly amazing.